“5 star”

Ranked #36 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
London
“5 star”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great hotel in a really good location between the shopping district and the museum district. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Plus the cocktail bar was a perfect place to start an evening out in Madrid. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craigym
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us!!It is a pleasure to know that you had a great time in the Gran Melia Fénix Hotel.

We hope to see you soon in Madrid and welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Kind regards,

Sandra Hernandez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Campania, Italy
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is my first ever review or comment in any of these tools. However, I felt compelled to provide this input due to the fact that I made the mistake of choosing the Hotel to stay the last two nights of a 2 week vacation with my 80 year old mother using Trip Advisor. Big mistake. This hotel is rank #1/#2 on Trip Advisor but I am yet wondering how can that be.

I wanted to get a room view a wonderful view of the city for my Spanish mom to enjoy on his last two days. I have 3.2 Million flying miles so I considered myself a frequent flyer and I do stay in Hotels. This for a fact, is not a 5 start Hotel. Although staff is very nice, that should be typical of any god hotel so getting the expected service is not a reason to be a 5 start. Having a Nescafe Espresso machine is not either a reason to be a 5 start hotel. Aside from it, nothing else cuts it for me. Here the facts for my reasoning for a "poor" score:

- Chose a "Supreme Room with View", which is two levels above the other two type rooms (Deluxe, Premium) and willing to pay a premium for it. However when I arrived at 7:30 pm for check-in, the supreme room with a view was actually a room on the first floor, overlooking the scaffold of the next building with a corner look of the trees that are in front of the avenue. The room is marketed in the web site as "...with a view...panoramic views of the center of the city..." There was not a view and no panoramic view for sure.
- I complain and I was told there was no other room available. I asked how come this room can be categorized as a supreme room with a view, since they did tell me originally when I complained that the room was indeed a supreme room with a view.
- They agree 100% with me that it was improperly classified and that they will remove the claim r re-classify room. Why does it take a promising client, paying a premium, to realize that? Don't know but maybe the root cause of it is one of the reasons Spain is in a recession.
- I can only access the toilet of the room turning myself sideways, extremely small.
- Room overall is small, which is very typical of Europe hotels but atypical for 5-Star rooms two levels above the base level room.
- After providing all my constructive criticism to the management, which was very nice and apologetic, it was me the one that had to tell them, I will not pay for that room as a supreme room with a view because doing so was actually recognizing a lie (not to say a fraud). Definitely misled representation of their part and they needed to be accountable.
- My price for the room was reduced to the next level down room but still, I don't feel the Melia brand has done enough as a business to provide tourist with a transparent and honest representation of their product nor the claim of a 5 Star Hotel in a mayor city.
-Very busy hotel, needed to wait for a table for breakfast, restaurant room for breakfast does not has the capacity to hold to many people at once.
- Sat I the outside bar but no bartender, everyone was serving tables. Sat on inside bar and bartender attended to us, again, very nicely, but then disappear since we were the only ones on the bar. Multi-tasking personnel is not a 5-Star like hotel.
- Personnel is very, very, almost extremely nice, but again, that should be basic on any high-end Hotel so differentiator should be other stuff, like meeting your expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank JLRodriguez2013
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your stay at Gran Melia Fenix.

We are sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We regret that our efforts to meet your needs during the reservation process and during your time with us did not allow you to enjoy your stay as much as we would have desired.

We work every day to improve and provide the best of our service to our guests so that they can fully enjoy their stay in Madrid.

We will continue our efforts and hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Kind Regards,

New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel on the heart of one of the most exclusive neighborhoods of Madrid.
The breakfast buffet was excellent, service was great, I found the layout of the room a little unpractical, the bathroom was pretty awkward, we were always trying to make sure the doors were not hitting each other, the ac could use some improvement the rooms was always on the warm side and pretty noisy.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RachelMNewYork
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Gran Meliá Fénix!!

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are proud to know that our Breakfast Buffet has reached your expectations and you have enjoyed the food and services we provide. On the other hand, we are deeply sorry that our bathrooms did not fit your needs completely. We have taken note about your comments in order to provide you with a room that fits your expectations better.
We hope we have other opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay the most pleasant.

Warm regards,

Amsterdam
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The best service, location of any hotel I know in Madrid and I have tried all of the luxury hotels repeteadly over the last twenty years. Very friendly staff, great location and atmosphere. The quality of the rooms is very high. Good for business or roamce.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank apeinadoabril
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such lovely review you have done regarding your stay with us at Gran Meliá Fénix!!

It is very nice to know that you have enjoyed your stay between us, especially because of our friendly staff!. All of our team is looking forward to welcoming you back again during your next visit to Madrid and keep on providing with the best of our attentions.

Wishing to have this occasion soon,

Sincerely

Madrid
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in a "Red Level" room.
This hotel is wonderful. The bathrooms are perhaps too small for a 5 stars hotel.
Experienced staff will do anything they can to make your stay the most enjoyable possible.
We enjoyed our stay there and will recommed this Melia hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Max L
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your great review regarding your stay with us!!

On behalf of myself and the entire staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, we would like to thank you for such a wonderful comment regarding our attention in order to make your stay unforgettable. We are very proud to know that we reach our aim and you had a perfect and special stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The people at the hotel were great. Very friendly and excellent service. They would do anything for us. The sheets were changed every day, we got bottles of water, afternoon treats (we were in an upgraded room) and access to the executive floor. The bathroom was small but it was so clean and so fresh I can't complain about it. Breakfast was excellent and we had a free dinner coupon. Dinner doesn't seem to be their expertise but I didn't go there to eat...Madrid has lots of great restaurants. This was one of the better experiences we have had in Madrid and better than the Palace, Ritz or VillaMagna, mainly because of the people. I will stay again for sure!

Room Tip: If you can get an upgrade to Level 7 you will enjoy the extra benefits. I looked out over Plaza Col...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank yerry_yang_1
Dear Guest,

Kind Greetings from the Gran Meliá Fénix!!

I would like to thank you for your great comments regarding your stay between us, especially the words you have used to describe our staff and services we provide. Be assured that your review will encourage all our team to keep working and providing to every guest with the best of our attentions.

We are very glad to know that our Hotel reaches completely your expectations and needs, and we sincerely hope to welcome you back again soon!

Best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed prior our Insight tour. It was clean and comfortable, with great food. Hop on hop off bus nearby, taxis easy to use. Would have loved pool due to the hot weather. We were exhausted when we arrived and were quickly assisted to our room. Thanks

Room Tip: Didn't have pool, that the extra I would have liked.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shanih11
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from the Gran Meliá Fénix!!

We very much appreciate your great feedback regarding your stay with us and we would like to thank you for all the details you highlighted. I am sure it will help other people who visit Madrid to find the hotel that fits their needs the most.
We would be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,