“Honest and Efficient Service”

Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 278 Madrid B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Honest and Efficient Service”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I accidentally made a mistake with the month when I booked a stay in La Pepa. Irma discovered my error when she emailed me to ask me for my arrival time.

She could have easily charged my credit card for not showing up on the date I reserved, but instead she proactively cancelled my reservation, emailed to inform me, and checked if I was okay with the prices on the correct, alternate, date.

She also spoke to their reservations team to waive the charge in view that it was an oversight. Very honest and efficient!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lionel Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cannes, France
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We agree with other travellers that the location is superb. We stayed six nights and walked everywhere. We had a warm welcome when we arrived, everything was explained in English, the room was spotlessly clean, the bed was extremely comfortable - the glass partition shower room wasn't a problem for us, I thought it was very stylish! The taxi from airport to Hotel was €35,00 for two people and luggage; there are two taxi ranks very nearby. We were in room 6 (a family room), next to the breakfast area, which didn't get noisy until about 8.30 am when most people were eating. Breakfast was simple but more than adequate, and I really appreciated having tea and coffee on tap all day. The bedrooms are double glazed and even the ones overlooking the main road were quiet when the windows were closed. We were very happy and comfortable, and would recommend Irma's B & B without hesitation.

Room Tip: If you are a really light sleeper, ask for a room which is not near the breakfast area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Irma V, Propietario at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Many thanks for appreciating our welcome. It is a great pleasure to spend some minutes to explain to our guests where we are located, what can we visit from our location and to share our tips or recommendations.
Thanks for your nice review.
Best regards, Irma
dublin
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This has to be the best location you can get for that price. It is on the same block as the Thyssen-Bornemisza and walking distance from the main attractions. B&B had a nice design, rooms and breakfast are decent but again, the best quality of the hotel is where it is. In such a spot you won't be spending too much time in the room anyway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank agusDD
Indeed, there is no better place to explore the city and at the same time to be calm and relax.
Thank you very much. Irma
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We traveled in the low season and got a good discount at 110 EUR for 3 nights! What else could we demand more? The location is just 3-5 minutes walk from Metro Banco de Espana and around 10 minutes walk to Sol. The B&B is at the 7th floor of the building with spacious elevator. It's just near to many things like good restaurants, night bars and museums.

It's a pretty cozy and shabby chic B&B. It's actually like a very big apartment divided into several rooms and a communal area. Breakfast was self-service and basic (cereals, toast, cheese and ham, coffee, tea and orange juice). No tea and coffee making facilities in room but guests were free to make tea and coffee using the facilities in the communal area at anytime.

The room we were offered was a family room with 1 double and 1 single bed. It's very spacious for just two of us. The room was basic but got everything we needed. I couldn't pick on anything about its cleanliness. Very comfortable bed. Room service was offered everyday but towels were changed at request. Hair dryer and adapters could be borrowed at the reception. Free wifi.

For the whole weekend we met three different staffs working at the reception. They were all extremely friendly and always there to help. No problem with communicating in English. They offered local maps and detailed guides regarding good restaurants in different areas.

All in all, we've thoroughly enjoy our stay in this B&B and will definitely recommend to everyone.

Tips:

- Do read the detail about their check-in time. Late check-in after 10 pm might incur 10 EUR extra charge.

- If possible request rooms far from the communal area. Preferably on the right hand side of the reception desk, in a corridor. The room I stayed was away from the communal area. It's pretty quite all the time. There were three rooms just by the communal area. I guess in the morning there might be a bit noisy if you prefer a lazy morning when guests are having breakfast in the communal area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kuroshino
We always tray to do our best to offer the best value for money considering the district we are located which is very expensive, and the different seasons. So, thank you very much for bringing that up.
Just a clarification related to the option "late check in", it is 6 € hour/room after 22hrs" and only on the day of arrival, because some guests asked me if every day of the staying is necessary to pay it, and the answer is NO, of course. Once you have your set of keys, it is lake to be at home.
Thanks very much for your time.
Best regards, Irma
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Speaking to Irma (the proprietress) on New Year's Eve, we learned of her vision for Lapepa when she started about a year or so ago: a simple place - somewhere she herself would like to stay - in the nicest part of town. Having recently spent three nights at this small, kooky bed and breakfast, my husband and I can say without reservation that Irma's vision is now a very tangible reality.

In a nutshell: fantastic, fantastic location; clean and comfortable rooms; and should I ever find myself in Madrid again, I would look no further for a place to stay!

The greatest thing about Lapepa is its location. My husband and I knew, prior to arrival, that Atocha Station was nearby, but what we didn't know was how close Lapepa was to all of Madrid's sights! The Plazas Santa Ana and Mayor, and the gastronomic-haven of Mercado de San Miguel are, at most, a twenty-minute walk. The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza is literally just around the corner and the Museo del Prado is five minutes on foot; the Reina Sofia is about fifteen minutes' walking. The beautiful Parque del Retiro is about ten minutes' walk. Lapepa is also very close to the lovely Huertas neighbourhood and the Chueca neighbourhood (which I understand is very hip/trendy, but which I did not have the opportunity to experience due to the New Year!).

We stayed in one of the 'panoramic rooms'. I will be honest: there wasn't terribly much by way of 'panorama' since all we could see were the Westin across the road (grand, though it was), and, to the left, the cross-junction, at the end of which sat the Museo del Prado and The Ritz (both buildings one could just about see). However, waking up to the rooftops of Madrid - or, indeed, the Westin and a few other surrounding buildings! - is a pleasant experience and I personally do not regret the extra euros spent. The room itself was clean, of a good size and decorated in a minimalist manner. The bathroom is essentially a corner of the room partitioned by a glass wall and sliding door. I note that an earlier guest has commented on the size of the shower - I am a very small person, and even I found myself limiting my movements whilst showering. Perhaps this is the only true criticism that I have of the room.

The best thing about the room is its proximity to the breakfast area. Sure, one may have to put up with a bit more noise than one would like, but being somewhat dependent on tea, it was wonderful to be able to just waddle across to make a cuppa (Twinings, if you're wondering).

Breakfast (7:30 - 11:30 a.m.) were simple, almost homely, affairs, with the usual suspects: bread (very good), butter, preserves, cold meats and cheese, tea and coffee. I loved the decor of the breakfast area, and would have lingered there for hours had I not had Madrid to see. It seems that breakfasts on Sunday are to be had in the Faborit café on the ground floor. (Guests receive a voucher for fresh fruit juice, a pastry and tea/coffee/chocolate.)

We enjoyed our stay at Lapepa - it is a real find and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MHatDA
... and we hope you'll be with us next time.
It was great to meet you and to have the opportunity to spend some time talking :-).
Thank you very much for those chatting, it was very nice.
Hope to see you soon. Irma
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Really a smart choice: chic, perfectly located, high value-for-money. The only minus is that during the weekend when I was where the landlady was substituted by girl not so able in giving restaurants and things-to-do suggestions. Anyway my definitive accomodation in Madrid.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I hope the next time we get a chance to meet each other. I take note on increasing knowledge of my team related to attractions or restaurants nearby. Thank you so much for your review and see you soon. Irma
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The airport shuttle ($10) drops you 100 yards from the bed & breakfast. The location is right in the middle of a thriving art museum and restaurant district. The cafe right next to the b&b provides your breakfast and it has a wonderful outdoor seating area on the sidewalk. The Neptune Fountain is viewable from the cafe and there is a beautiful park (Retiro) just a short walk away. The value was incredible considering the relatively low nightly rate and the unbelievable location. We only spent 2 nights here but would have loved to stay longer due to the excellent location and value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Listening such a positive and objective review make us feel proud about our b&b.
It is a pleasure to have the feeling you enjoy Madrid and we could contributed.
Best regards from the whole lapepa chic b&b team. Irma