“I hope to return”

Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 285 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Speaking to Irma (the proprietress) on New Year's Eve, we learned of her vision for Lapepa when she started about a year or so ago: a simple place - somewhere she herself would like to stay - in the nicest part of town. Having recently spent three nights at this small, kooky bed and breakfast, my husband and I can say without reservation that Irma's vision is now a very tangible reality.

In a nutshell: fantastic, fantastic location; clean and comfortable rooms; and should I ever find myself in Madrid again, I would look no further for a place to stay!

The greatest thing about Lapepa is its location. My husband and I knew, prior to arrival, that Atocha Station was nearby, but what we didn't know was how close Lapepa was to all of Madrid's sights! The Plazas Santa Ana and Mayor, and the gastronomic-haven of Mercado de San Miguel are, at most, a twenty-minute walk. The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza is literally just around the corner and the Museo del Prado is five minutes on foot; the Reina Sofia is about fifteen minutes' walking. The beautiful Parque del Retiro is about ten minutes' walk. Lapepa is also very close to the lovely Huertas neighbourhood and the Chueca neighbourhood (which I understand is very hip/trendy, but which I did not have the opportunity to experience due to the New Year!).

We stayed in one of the 'panoramic rooms'. I will be honest: there wasn't terribly much by way of 'panorama' since all we could see were the Westin across the road (grand, though it was), and, to the left, the cross-junction, at the end of which sat the Museo del Prado and The Ritz (both buildings one could just about see). However, waking up to the rooftops of Madrid - or, indeed, the Westin and a few other surrounding buildings! - is a pleasant experience and I personally do not regret the extra euros spent. The room itself was clean, of a good size and decorated in a minimalist manner. The bathroom is essentially a corner of the room partitioned by a glass wall and sliding door. I note that an earlier guest has commented on the size of the shower - I am a very small person, and even I found myself limiting my movements whilst showering. Perhaps this is the only true criticism that I have of the room.

The best thing about the room is its proximity to the breakfast area. Sure, one may have to put up with a bit more noise than one would like, but being somewhat dependent on tea, it was wonderful to be able to just waddle across to make a cuppa (Twinings, if you're wondering).

Breakfast (7:30 - 11:30 a.m.) were simple, almost homely, affairs, with the usual suspects: bread (very good), butter, preserves, cold meats and cheese, tea and coffee. I loved the decor of the breakfast area, and would have lingered there for hours had I not had Madrid to see. It seems that breakfasts on Sunday are to be had in the Faborit café on the ground floor. (Guests receive a voucher for fresh fruit juice, a pastry and tea/coffee/chocolate.)

We enjoyed our stay at Lapepa - it is a real find and we would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MHatDA
Irma V, Propietario at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

... and we hope you'll be with us next time.
It was great to meet you and to have the opportunity to spend some time talking :-).
Thank you very much for those chatting, it was very nice.
Hope to see you soon. Irma

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Really a smart choice: chic, perfectly located, high value-for-money. The only minus is that during the weekend when I was where the landlady was substituted by girl not so able in giving restaurants and things-to-do suggestions. Anyway my definitive accomodation in Madrid.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I hope the next time we get a chance to meet each other. I take note on increasing knowledge of my team related to attractions or restaurants nearby. Thank you so much for your review and see you soon. Irma

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The airport shuttle ($10) drops you 100 yards from the bed & breakfast. The location is right in the middle of a thriving art museum and restaurant district. The cafe right next to the b&b provides your breakfast and it has a wonderful outdoor seating area on the sidewalk. The Neptune Fountain is viewable from the cafe and there is a beautiful park (Retiro) just a short walk away. The value was incredible considering the relatively low nightly rate and the unbelievable location. We only spent 2 nights here but would have loved to stay longer due to the excellent location and value.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Listening such a positive and objective review make us feel proud about our b&b.
It is a pleasure to have the feeling you enjoy Madrid and we could contributed.
Best regards from the whole lapepa chic b&b team. Irma

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We selected the B&B because of the location (close to the major museums and the Atocha Station) and the favorable reviews in T/A. Overall, we were very satisfied.

The hours for breakfast are remarkably flexible: 7:30 - 11:30. Breakfast includes cereals, yogurts, hams and cheese and decent bread. This is definitely more than the minimalist "continental breakfast" one usually encounters.

Check-in time is less flexible: If you'd like to check-in before 3 PM, you'll have to pay an additional €6 - presumably for each hour your arrival precedes 3 PM.

Rooms are clean and quiet -- if you're located toward to back of the B&B. Those toward the front (room numbers 7 and below) face the breakfast / reception area and might have to deal with some noise.

As others have mentioned, the room contains a bathroom "area" behind a sliding door. It is not sound proof.

Room Tip: Ask for a room numbered 8 or higher.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarioCavaradossi
Irma V, Propietario at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

It is a pleasure to hear this review from someone who is a great traveler.
We wish you a happy 2013 full of travels and good experiences.
Warm regards, Irma & lapepa chic b&b team

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Location could not be better as easy walking distance to all three main art galleries and all other main tourist attractions. Rooms are modern, minimalist and very clean. Breakfast informal and homely. We had a panorama room with a fantastic view. Very warm welcome from Irma and her team and they supplied lots of useful information and were very obliging. We thoroughly enjoyed our five night stay and will recommend Lapepa Chic to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 3 had a great view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michele J
Irma V, Propietario at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

We are fortunate to have guests with such good energy. We are very happy to receive this comment and know that after 5 days with us, we had helped to make your staying in Madrid was "a little more special." Congratulations to you for that positive attitude.
You will always be welcome. Lapepa Team :-)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place is in a probably the best area of town for tourists. This is a short walk to all of the main attractions and some of the best restaurants in town. I was not a fan of a few things at this accommodation and I have outlined them below

Pros
Location – walking distance to most sights of Madrid
Room – clean
Internet – Wifi worked fine

Cons
Booking Restrictions – we were looking to maybe adjusting our stay in Madrid however because of the type of deal we picked the staff was not flexible and would not let us make any changes to our already booked stay
Breakfast – nothing to write home about
Check-in – if you arrive anytime out side of their check-in time, you were charged an additional charge.
Room – the walls are paper-thin
Bathroom – I hope you are comfortable hearing your travel companion using the bathroom because your bathroom wall is glass so any and all noise can be heard.
Shower – I am not a large individual (5’11” - 185lbs) but I had a hard time using the shower because it is so small

Would I stay here again, maybe… it depends on what else was available in town. As I mentioned this is in a great part of town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TimJ_18
Irma V, Gerente at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I am completely agree about Madrid is beautiful city, especially our location, the most expensive square meter in the city. Probably because we are in the center of Arts, Museums, Parks and Social life. We tried to provide our guests our best according the price paid. We are an humble inn in the nicest part of Madrid Center.
Best regards, Irma

Reviewed October 20, 2012

What a lovely b&b, the staff could not have been more hospitable, providing a welcoming environment, simple but 'chic' rooms with all the creature comforts. Great breakfast that sustained for the day. Situated in beautiful part of the city close to all major art galleries/museums you could walk most places. I highly recommend lapepa!! Thanks Irma and Ilena

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Irma V, Propietario at Lapepa Chic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thanks a lot for your nice words which make us to refill the energy to do our best.
You are so kind :-)