“Very Nice Old World Hotel in Madrid”
Review of Hotel Liabeny

Hotel Liabeny
Ranked #51 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
san francisco
“Very Nice Old World Hotel in Madrid”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in the Liabeny for two nights in October during out month stay in Spain. We stayed there because our 1st choice, the Atlantico, could not add two more nights to our unexpected stay. We opted to stay at the Liabeny because it was close to a music event we were attending and we did not want to walk too far or take transportation. It is an older hotel with old world standards. It is not as modern as I would like. Although it cost more than the Atlantico, it worked out well for us. The buffet breakfast was expensive so we only ate there once. The rooms are clean and service is professional and impeccable. Were it not for the change in our schedule, I would not have selected this hotel.

2 Thank Buddahtravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed here recently for a few days after finishing a med cruise. First of all let me say that Madrid is a fantastic city. It has great architecture, wide boulevards and has plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from.
We got off to a rocky start as the shuttle which I had arranged thru the hotel concierge arrived well past our arrival as there was a mix up in the flight times. This was not a big deal as that happens some time. The man at the reception desk was less than helpful to say the least as he kept saying its not my problem so it was not a good beginning. However I let my feelings be known to about this and for the rest of the stay the staff could not have been nicer. Bravo! The manager apologized, gave us a bowl of fruit and a 10% discount on our stay which was extended by one day due to our flight being cancelled by the effects of Hurricaine Sandy. during this time they were most gracious in trying to support us. Again thanks so much.
One less than polite person can't diminish how the rest of the staff behaved in such a professional manner. I would be delighted to stay here again. They helped make us feel at home.

Bursa
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We prefered this hotel because it was very central. But the first night that we arrived, we have beaten by flees all over. So we had to move out of the hotel at 2 a.m. to find a decent hotel. We supposed to stay 3 nights at this hotel. Although at the beginnig, they agreed on paying for an other hotel, after 2nd night they insist us to stay at the same hotel. They also had a big fuss about the transportation between the hotels. They have disagreed to pay for the transport. Except a young stuff, the other employees are very rude. We never heard from the manager.

9 Thank Elma971
Liabeny, Manager at Hotel Liabeny, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We are very sorry for any inconvenience that you suffered during your stay, please rest assured that we have dealt with the problem.

Our apologies for not being able to give you another room, at that time we were fully booked. We did our best to satisfy your need by covering the expenses of the hotel you finally chose. Regarding transportation, you decided to use your rental car although we had a taxi ready to pick you up.

We hope that you enjoyed your stay in Madrid regardless this unpleasant experience.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is close to the centre of Madrid which is great. Rooms always spotless after cleaned. Old guy at reception was rude as, checking in & out. We are a younger couple and I got the sense that he was somehow affronted by this. The younger staff and cleaners all very friendly otherwise.

• Stayed October 2012
Geneva
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with friends for a girly weekend. The location, as other reviewers have mentioned, is great. You can easily walk every where and Madrid is a great city for walking in as there is so much to see. As must is the Mercado San Miguel - so many different kinds of food and drinks to enjoy!

The hotel is old fashioned and whilst the staff were polite they weren't overly attentive. There were 4 or 5 members of staff standing in reception but no one came to open the door or greet you as you arrived etc. The service in the bar was incredibly slow and we waited some 40 minutes for the bar tender to arrive and then another 20 minutes for our drinks - luckily we weren't in a hurry! However the drinks are very reasonably priced.

The rooms are OK and have every thing you need for a weekend away. They are dated and a little dark, but as we weren't in them for very long it didn't really bother me. The one thing that did bother me a little was that there wasn't an extra lock on the door. This made me feel a little uneasy that some one could enter if they had a master key or similar whilst you were inside. I would have felt more at ease if there would have been another lock that I could control.

My room overlooked the front of the hotel and was on the second floor - it was fairly noisy between 3 and 6am from clubbers heading home. Perhaps a room on a higher floor or in another part of the hotel would be quieter.

You can get WIFI and just need to ask reception for a code.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for couples looking for romance, but groups looking for a central base would benefit from staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Roccastrada, Italy
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The public spaces are fine but old fashioned, and there's a gym and sauna. The breakfast buffet is very good and so is the overall hotel service. Dinner in the restaurant was very good. The rooms are furnished in late 60's style with very worn dark wood furniture, with ugly worn and not very clean stripped carpeting, low beds, Bathroom was above average. The rooms are very depressing visually, although very quiet for so central a location due to double glazing and the hotel's position on the corner of 2 pedestrian streets closed to traffic. Needs complete room renovation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I always read reviews and research location before booking a hotel, and my research paid off with the Liabeny. It was so convenient---we walked everywhere. The only confusion is the little maze of streets surrounding the hotel. Some are pedestrianized, and not on my trusty map. So we got confused a few times returning after a long day. Easy to find from Gran Via, not as easy at night from streets to the south. But that was part of the fun. I loved the look of the hotel---classic and quietly elegant lobby, with lots of seating. We didn't use the bar and restaurant, but they looked very nice. The staff was excellent, very helpful, courteous and efficient. My single room was small but comfortable, with no view, but my friend's room was larger. We were on the 6th floor, so we heard no noise at all. The carpets are a bit dated, but the rooms were very clean, and the bathrooms and showers were a good size. Wifi was good, with the hotel password. I guess I'm in the "older traveler" category now, and the hotel atmosphere appealed to me. Not really hip, but classic, and I felt safe. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: I imagine being on the sixth floor helped with the street noise situation. I heard no noise at all.