“Pros and cons for this hotel.”

Intur Palacio San Martin
Ranked #77 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Orlando, Florida
“Pros and cons for this hotel.”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel was booked in a tour package that my group purchased. It had originally been the American Embassy. Unfortunately, now the embassy is a grey stone federal looking building. Not

My room was clean and bed okay however, the bathroom was not good. The toilet and bidet was across from each other and both less than 12 inches from the bathtub/shower. I took sponge baths so I wouldn't fall trying to get in and out of the tub.

Internet was spotty. Since I have a business, I always have to work...even when I am with my groups. I called down to the front desk for help because the Internet would go off while I was working and I had to always reset it with a different access name. This was so frustrating. Also, I felt the man at the front desk got impatient with me because I was told him to wait on the phone while I tried to get on the Internet. It was later in the evening so I know he could not have been busy with customers.

There are 2 small elevators. One is "historic" with a little more room. They seemed to work well.

Because the hotel was booked in a tour package, it is possible that other rooms would be different and better than the ones my group received.

I really got upset when I put my RED "DO NOT DISTURB" SIGN on the outside door handle. I also went to the housekeeper on the floor to tell her not to clean my room because my work was lying out and there was nothing that I needed for her to do. She took the sign off the handle and came in anyway.

Breakfast was included in our package and was very good. It was typical European breakfast. If not included with your room rate, it is expensive.

What I did love about the hotel was the outdoor dining. Twice my group ate there. We enjoyed our ham, cheese, tomato, basil sandwiches. They were excellent and the price was proper for Spain.

If you can walk up and down slight inclined streets from the hotel, then the location is wonderful. Because I have walking problems, this was difficult for me.

I found the front desk staff acted like they were to busy to give you the proper attention you needed. However, I appreciated the fact that they could speak some English.

There is a lovely lobby to relax in with comfortable seating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HotelesIntur, Gerente at Intur Palacio San Martin, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor. We regret that your experience wasn´t as good as expected. It is thanks to comments like yours that we can keep improving and strive for excellence in our services which is what we aim for. Yours sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida, USA
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is within a few minutes walk from the center of Madrid (Puerta del Sol), from Plaza Mayor, from Plaza de Espana, and from El Callao and La Gran Via (where you can catch the Madrid hop-on tour bus) and sightsee this fabulous, vibrant city. It is also just steps from El Corte Ingles, the big clothing store and supermarket, and all kinds of pubs and restaurants for all budgets.
The hotel is in an old refurbished palace in the heart of Madrid but in a quiet little plaza (Plaza San Martin) next to a convent (Descalzas Reales) where they offer mass daily and the chapel is a real jewel for art buffs.
As far as the room is concerned, I had asked for a double bed and the room I got was too small and facing an inner unattractive courtyard, so I asked for a room facing the street and we were given this bright, ample room with two twin beds joined together, a small balcony, a nice closet with a safe, a very nice modern bathroom with tub and shower, and WiFi access at all times.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else next time in Madrid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Descalzas Convent with two twin beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelesIntur, Gerente at Intur Palacio San Martin, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with other travelers. It's nice to read those positive comments about us since this is what all employees work for at the Intur Family.
We hope to welcoming you again very soon at any of our hotels, please do not hesitate and contact us if you need to make your booking. Yours sincerely,"
Sydney
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last year and will be booking again for next year. Its within an short walking distance to train station, Plaza Mayor, architectural attractions and the local market which is brilliant for all kinds of breakfast, lunch or take away items and produce. The staff are friendly, our room was very spacious and its located in a square tucked behind any major road. Perfect.
We had three rooms, 6 people and taxis were organised whenever we wanted although that was rare.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
"Dear customer,
Thank you for sharing your fantastic comments about our hotel on Tripadvisor.
We will share them with the rest of the team since reviews like yours motivate us to keep doing a better job everyday and prove us that all we do is finally noticed on the stay of our clients. Do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit (hopefully soon) to any of our hotels.
Yours sincerely,"
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Nearby in everything. Spacious room but very old bathroom. Very good location for a trip in a city. A little bit expensive. The lobby was very small and dark. The transport-media was very good, nearby

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank George K
ft erie
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Loved the old world touches of this hotel, windows, wood work,, old elevator with a grated gate.. Helpful staff, walking distance of all major attractions in Madrid,, short cab ride from airport, or train station. Only downside, internet in lobby not working, although the hotel offers wi fi, we did not have our PC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I spent there only one night, but I think it will be my first option when visiting Madrid. It is located 2 minutes away from Calle Arenal, but in a super quiet square, so your rest is guaranteed. From here you can walk anywhere you like day and night.

It is all in perfect conditions and with sort of old-times touch, but it would be much better with a bit of updating the bathroom.

I will defenitely come back if I get a decent rate (this time I paid 65€ for single room without breakfast, which I find ok).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 3, 2013

During my other previous Madrid trips, I have stayed in other hotels near the airport. But this time, I have opted for a hotel in the city center as I am traveling with my mother and my daughter who is 9. I am not disappointed at all because this hotel is near every places we wanted to visit plus it is a good value for your money. It is located near the shopping centers and lots of restaurants around to choose from. And it is just few minutes walk to Puerta del Sol. Hotel rooms are clean and in good condition, staff are polite and always willing to provide service. Breakfast is simple yet they proposed fried eggs, bacon and sausages cooked "à la minute", just missing some veggies though. I will certainly stay in this hotel again the next time I visit Madrid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family