“Nice hotel, good location, nice lounge but poor wifi Internet signal”

Melia Madrid Princesa
Ranked #61 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It is a very nice hotel, a lot of food selection in the breakfast lounge, very good spa and saunas. Close to the city center and to the subway station. Relatively inexpensive given the location and all the services offered. The only minus is poor wifi internet in the rooms - the signal gets lost very frequently and needs to reconnect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear cmtk767,

We thank you very much for your time taken on making this comment about your stay with us.

We are glad you had a positive overall experience, mainly with our breakfast buffet and location. Regarding our wifi, completely free in all the hotel, it normally works perfectly.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again in our hotel.

At your disposal,

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,396)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Melia Princesa was my location for 3 days and hosted a business conference for the company I work for. Its about 30 minutes outside of rush hour from Barrajas Airport. Cost Euro 38.00 , you can, I found out later , get the metro from the airport too.
Its a very modern hotel, and has great reception staff , very friendly with a high standard of English (good considering my low level of Spanish) it is a ten minute walk from the palaces and boulevards of central Madrid and the cathedral, and is easy to spot as it is a high building when walking back from the city centre at night.
Food is generally a high standard and breakfasts a wide range , with cooked and cold breakfasts , coffee in the breakfast room for some reason is generally pretty bad however, its much better at the bar just off reception , and me and my colleagues generally bought coffee there.
The rooms are a very high standard (see my pictures) and very large, with separate bathroom, and good TV, phones, and fast WiFi. The beds , furniture and fittings are a very high standard, the chair however surprisingly for a business desk was very cheap and not at all suitable to work at. The lighting which seems to be a feature of Spanish hotels has an amazing array of switches , which switch off and on lights all over the place, with two very funky glass tables both side of the very comfortable bed which run through a spectrum of colours . Its very trendy, I imagine. But you cant just have a reading light on, you have to have three lights on.
The lifts in the hotel are very small , and not great if you have lots of luggage, there is a taxi rank which the concierge will call for you immediately, and the taxis all seem to have credit card machines, which is very convenient.
Finally the décor , conference rooms, and reception area are well appointed, and there is maid service every day, the bathrooms are very highly appointed, and you have bathrobes, slippers and decent toiletries. There is one observation I would make , and many hotels do this, it is poorly signed, with a confusing layout of rooms and floors, i.e. a button in the lift that says H with the rest numbered, and as you come down from different levels I found myself walking out of a side door with exit pads, rather than the reception and with no idea how i did this several times as did many of my colleagues.
The staff were great , friendly , polite , and efficient, although there were slightly too few at breakfast and service was a little slow as a result. The hotel in summary is a high standard hotel, my three day conference rate was just above Euro 400.00 with Breakfast and free WiFi through my stay.
I was on the 2nd floor, which although has very good glazing, was slightly noisy late one night, as the recycling service collected bottles or glass of some kind, so I would say get a higher level room if possible.

Room Tip: Get a higher level of room as recycling or rubbish collection is very early in the morning and quite...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear jonnyboy012,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your feedback following your stay in Meliá Madrid Princesa.

It is a pleasure to know that you had an overall satisfactory stay enjoying our location, food and different aspects of our product and service. Our hotel is located in one of the most important street in the city so our customers have a really good communication by underground, by bus or by walk to any other point of Madrid. Our daily work is to get the highest quality standards to accomplish all our customers expectations.

We would be delighted of receiving you again.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We accidentally stayed here for two nights. We had arrived by taxi from Atocha train station, checked in without a problem and spent the night. The following morning our key card wasn't working but we thought this could be sorted when we got back to the hotel that night. We left around 11am to attend a conference which was the reason we were in Madrid. Getting back to the hotel at 11.30pm we told reception that our key card wasn't working and were informed that they had been trying to contact us all day and had accidentally checked us in the night before. Apparently there was another guest with the same name as my boyfriend and the mistake was made. Easy to do, the taxi driver had taken us to the wrong hotel and then by complete coincidence there was another reservation in our name.

As it was so late at night we decided to stay and speak to the general manager in the morning. We were happy to pay for the extra night as we thought it was a silly mistake that would be rectified in the morning. The conversation that followed was shocking. The manager would not admit any mistake on their part and in not so many words accused us of trying our luck at a 5* hotel, despite the fact we had a pre-paid hotel room just down the road! We were treated like we had stolen something from them and the mistake was completely our fault. The customer service was totally inadequate, they were unhelpful and made us feel like we were thieves trying to con them.

I know this is an unusual incident but I would definitely caution anyone against staying here just in case they are not happy with the hotel and have to experience the woeful "customer service".

1  Thank Nickyxmas
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Nickymxmas,
Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time making this review and sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences and disappointment experienced in Melia Madrid Princesa because of the mistake during your check- in process.
Obviously, the problem was the result of an identical reservation under your name. Just as yours, the booking was for two nights and, as a terrible coincidence, the guest was also supposed to attend the meeting that we had during this weekend at our hotel. As a result of those coincidences, you were mistakenly given a room in our hotel.
When we realized about the mistake, we tried to contact you, but you were not at your room. Despite of this, when you contact Front Desk because your key did not work, we informed you about the mistake with your reservation. The Hotel was fully booked for the second night of your reservation but as a courtesy we offered you to keep the room and we also keep the special rate for the participants to this meeting. However, the following morning, you spoke with the Front Desk Manager, not with the General Manager, and she reduced the rate of the night. It is perfectly understandable that this was not the real price per night considering our hotel is a five stars hotel and that night the hotel was fully booked.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for all this issues happened which we would like to have avoided in all cases and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have spent nearly one week at the Melia Madrid Princesa and I have been completely well attended and felt like at home. All facilities and specially the Breakfast are just amazing.

Staff is just exceptional. My special attention to Fatima, pro-active and friendly guest relation which was there for me anytime.

I would certainly encourage everyone to stay at this hotel when visiting Madrid

Robert Watson

Room Tip: Room with city views,..
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Mr. Watson,

Firsly, I would really like to personally thank you for such a positive feedback about your stay with us.
To know that we have exceed your expectations it is the best reward to our daily improvement work, which motivate and stimulate all our Team.

We would be delighted of receiving you again.

Regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a weekend and i enjoyed all my stay, excellent staff, location, room service and food. I will recommended this hotel to everybody. My sister was with me and she enjoyed too as me. Thanks to Main director, and i hope return soon.

• Stayed: May 2012
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Claudianuco,

Firstly, I would really like to thank you for your kind words about your stay with us so your time on making this review.

To know that we have exceed your expectations which is our aim, it is the best reward in our daily work for getting the highest quality standards in all our customers experience.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here as I felt welcome from the minute the taxi door was opened for me. Reception staff very friendly. All staff seemed bi-lingual which was fab as my Spanish is non existent. The room was nicely designed and I loved that they had a chair that you could actually relax in as opposed to a little hard upright chair or lounging on your bed. The only thing I missed was tea making facilities. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guset Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear 1Dobbo,

We really thank you for your words of appreciation and for your time on making this review regarding your stay at Meliá Madrid Princesa.

It is a pleasure to know that you had a completely satisfactory experience, enjoying it. Regarding your comment about tea and cofee facilities, we have them in The Level, Premium and Suites room. But we have availability too for our customers on request so we are sorry about that.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a great weekend in Madrid at this Hotel. Te location is great, there are many shops, cultural places around, night live.... I will recommend this hotel to everybody. The hotel staff were great, always helping you, the room was so nice.
We know where we will stay next time We visit Madrid. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MeliaMadridPrincesa, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Madrid Princesa, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Pier B,

We really appreciate your time taken on giving us your feedback about your stay with us. Thanks to you for all these compliments about our staff, facilities, location..

It will be a real pleasure to welcome you again in your next visit to Madrid.