“Holiday Inn Madrid”

Ranked #275 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Java, Indonesia
“Holiday Inn Madrid”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We only stayed one night after coming from Barcelona but this hotel exceeded expections.\nThe front desk was especially helpful with a problem that had followed us from Barcelona. \nWe lost our money at the hands of a pick pocket at the Barcelona Train station. The hotel staff even called a cab that accepted credit card that we used for the airport ride.
“Very good for business travelers and not bad for leisure ones. Waiters in the bar were extremely kind. There's a taxi stand in front of the hotel and a wealth of shops and places to eat something very near. If someone is a Real Madrid fan (I'm not), their stadium is just at the back of the hotel. ”

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Good location near Metro and lys to do in the area. Don't miss La Tagliatella restaurant almost next door. Huge entered and delicious. Same goes for the salads. Big enough for two. Dinner for two with beers €35.

• Stayed September 2010
Ottawa
Reviewed September 5, 2010

This was the first hotel that started off our Spain 2010 trip where we planned to travel throughout much of Spain. When we arrived from the airport after the trans-Atlantic flight, the beds were very comfortable and the windows could be drawn so that we were all able to have a cat nap. The location was great for us as we had some soccer fans in the family and walked to the Bernabeu a number of times. It was also in a spot that made for very quick travel throughout Madrid by bus (no need to hop on the metro). We were warned by the taxi driver about walking in the area at night as there is a reputation for pick-pocketers but this is more specific to the stadium area and on game days. We travelled out and around the hotel without any concerns or issues and had breakfast and some dinners at the German restaurant right in front of the hotel. The pool was small but the kids were thrilled to be swimming at the very top of the building and it made for a great view as well as a great way to cap off long, tiresome days filled with walking. This hotel made for a great welcome to a city that we all grew to love and felt comfortable and safe travelling in!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I can't say that I was bowled over by this hotel, but it was OK for what I wanted and I will go back there the next time I need to work in Madrid; if only because I can see the office from the front of the hotel, so it's super convenient for me. After work I stayed on for the weekend and my husband flew out to join me. I wouldn't choose it as a location for the tourist part of the city, but as I was already there it wasn't too bad for the old town and therefore easier to stay put than to check out and relocate for the last two nights.

GOOD STUFF
The rooms were a nice size - I got to try two different rooms and they were both good. The corner rooms are biggest.
Beds are very comfortable.
The bathroom was a reasonable size, there was good power on the shower and also a decent hairdryer.
Each room includes a kettle with some coffee, tea and UHT milk. There is space in the fridge "For guests", which is handy. (I know you can just move the minibar stuff out of you want to use the fridge, but I appreciated the touch of making space ready for my own-bought drink).
The rooftop pool is marvellous. It may not be huge, but is was never crowded when I went there and the cool water is such a win in the summer heat. The decking is nice and there are shady and sunny spaces available. You can pick up towels from the gym as you walk through it on your way to the roof.
The gym equipment was reasonable - two running machines, two cross trainers, two bikes (One upright, one sit back), a rowing machine, free weights and one of the pulley-weight things. Lots of mirrors, which make it feel more spacious, towels and chilled water. There are a couple of tellys and I usually found it fairly empty meaning that I could turn the telly off and just listen to my own MP3.
It's just a couple of minute's walk to the Metro and a short journey to the old town, so you can easily enjoy the best parts of Madrid after a day at work. The Metro is EUR1 each way, and if you really can't be bothered with it, a taxi is only EUR10 each way.

NOT SO GOOD STUFF
The gym doesn't seem to have aircon. The control is there, but it won't switch on and that is no joke in the midsummer heat. Especially when there is a fantastic gym on the ground floor, with dozens of machines and called "Holiday Gym". It's branded like it comes with the hotel, but they are pretty quick to tell you that you can't use it.

There are no in-room safes from floor 4 downwards, so I recommend that you request a higher floor. They didn't tell me that this was the case when I checked in, but when I commented to my colleague, who had come over from Munich, that I was fed up with lugging all my valuables around, she said that her room had a safe and so I requested a change. That was when reception admitted that the lower floors had no safes. They seemed almost surprised that I wanted to change rooms to get a safe, but since they clearly state in their book that they won't accept liability for stuff left in your room, I don't see why they would think that I should take a punt. I moved to floor 8, which I liked because I could easily take the stairs to the gym on floor 9 or the pool on floor 10.

The staff weren't terribly helpful. Normally anywhere with free wi-fi asks you if you want the code when you check in. The next morning when I realised I didn't have the log in code, I asked for it at reception and was informed that it wasn't free and she mentioned a fee of (I think) EUR6 per hour. That's more then I'm prepared to pay for a measly hour - it's cheaper to use my data roaming, despite my phone company being rip off merchants. Plus there is free wi-fi all over Madrid - on the Metro for a start - so why should I pay for it at my hotel? I have already paid business rates to be there. I did hear someone else being told by a different receptionist that you got an hour's free wi-fi a day, but by that time I'd located the hot spots and couldn't be a...d with their reception anymore.
The rooms keys seem to fail regularly. To start with they said that my card was fine and that it was a problem with the room lock. When I changed rooms, I had the same problem, which they assured me was a result of my having a mobile phone (Surely everyone has a mobile phone?!) My husband joined me for the weekend and once we had two cards, we found that one worked and one didn't (despite being kept together), so I think that the problem was with the cards and I don't know why they kept saying that it wasn't. When I spoke to reception about mine, they always re-set it and it always worked afterwards.
Overall, they certainly weren't rude, but they also weren't welcoming or actively helpful, and this was a noticeable contrast to my last business trip to a Radisson hotel (in another city) where they went out of their way to be helpful and plesant. I don't think its a cultural thing either, since my colleagues in the Madrid office couldn't have been nicer. IMHO when you travel on business, it is often in antisocial hours (e.g. I arrived at the hotel at 1.am knowing I had to meet my colleague 7am the same day), you are often on your own and just want the hotel experience to be easy. I have visited 6 different countries so far this year and with the best will in the world, I can't speak the local language everywhere I go. I don't need to be given a hard time by the reception staff if I can't muster up much more than "hola" at 1 in the morning. (Sorry sidetracking a bit there!)

The decor is pretty tired and there was a small patch of mould on the shower curtain in my second room (I hate shower curtains - you just know that they never get cleaned!). Apparently all HI hotels are being renovated, so maybe they will put air-con in the gym, fit safes in all the rooms and replace the wallpaper, which is dangerously close to anaglypta!

They only give you one towel per person, like no-one ever washes their hair and body at the same time. I took extra towels back from the gym to redress this. They don't provide a flannel either. I also used the gym water supply to top up my water bottle, since water from the mini bar was Eur4.50. 4.50!! And yet you can buy a litre for Eur3 from room service - bizarre.
I ordered a burger from room service and it wasn't very nice. That'll teach me to choose junk food!

Breakfast is EUR20, which in fairness to them is typical for city hotels, but still a complete rip off if you just want something light to start the day - it's never an option to pay EUR2 for a coffee and a croissant (or similar), despite the fact that this is exactly what it will cost you if you walk to a cafe such as Jamon Jamon, about 2 minutes away from the Holiday Inn (Its on the gound floor of the building with "Allianz" on the roof.

As a regular business traveller I wasn't very impressed with this hotel, but the roof-top pool just about swung it for me so in view of the convenience, I will go back. With more welcoming staff, air con in the gym and a bit of makeover it could be excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
coventry
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This hotel is in an ideal location, very close to the Santiago Bernabue metro station, allowing you to travel to any part of central madrid, quickly and cheaply.The hotel is also close to some nice restaurants. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room and bathroom was clean as you would expect from this type of hotel chain. This hotel is excellent value for money. We included the cost of breakfast in our package price. The breakfast buffet was very good with an excellent range of food on offer. The hotel also had a gym on the 9th floor, but this was very small considering the size of the hotel. It also had a rooftop swimming pool which was nice on hot days. We were given a very good non smoking room with two double beds, it was on the small side but we were happy that we got 2 double beds, rather than a sofa bed.
I would recommend this hotel for all types of travellers including families so if you are thinking about booking this hotel then don't hesitate!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Noida
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My family enjoyed our one night stay in this hotel. Very nicely located hotel with all the amenities. The bathroom was neat. The service level was world class. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants peace and quiet, in smart clean surroundings with excellent service.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
, Director General at Holiday Inn Madrid, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel.

It is thanks to that kind of messages that we are always trying to improve our services to our guests, to make their stay the most comfortable.

Hoping to welcome you back soon to Holiday Inn Madrid,

Yours sincerely,
The Managemen
Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on a recent city break to Madrid. As a member of the Intercontinental Hotels Group Priority Club, it was a no-brainer to stay here as for 4 nights, I only had to shell out 107 Euros along with some of my Priority Club points.
The hotel is situated in the northern part of the city, close to the Santiago Bernabau football stadium, in what can best be described as a commercial area. The hotel is within a couple of minutes walk of a Metro Station, and it's only a couple of Metro stops back into the main city centre attractions. The Metro is cheap and easy to use, so getting to and from the hotel is a breeze. Later at night, when the Metro is either closed or you want to see the city at night from above ground, taxis are cheap and plentiful. From the city centre to the hotel only takes 10 minutes and will cost you less than 10 Euros.
Reception was friendly and efficient, and on arrival we were upgraded to a "suite" without asking.
Our suite was clean and functional, but was a bit tired looking. This is probably a reflection of the age of the hotel - it really does need a bit of a make-over. That being said, for a city break my wife and I didn't spend any amount of time in the hotel - Madrid has such a lot to see and experience, there really is no need for a "resort" hotel in such a great city.
Our deal excluded breakfast, and as it's fairly expensive in the hotel, we resorted to using a local bar (20 metres from the hotel) and cafes within the adjacent shopping centre. Breakfast can be had at these places for a fraction of the price of the hotel breakfast, although I'm sure the hotel has a greater choice.
The location of the hotel isn't obvious when you leave the Metro station, but walk west on the main road from the football stadium and look up - you can't miss the green Holiday Inn sign on the roof of the hotel.
Overall, convenient and cost-effective option for a Madrid city break.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple