“Excellent hotel, perfect location”
Review of Luxury Suites

Luxury Suites
Ranked #199 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Monterey, California
“Excellent hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our room was on the second floor, looking out over the main road. There was a fair amount of traffic noise but we were so jetlagged we slept through it. In the summer, I think there will be a lot of noise from the outdoor tables of the pub right next door, so bear that in mind when choosing a room. The suite itself was wonderful - two bedrooms and a living room with a full kitchen. Both rooms had king size beds and the sheet and pillows were good - much higher quality than we'd have expected. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was well appointed, with a shower over a bath - good water pressure and plenty of hot water - and double sinks. Big flat screen tv in the living room (and in the bedrooms). We loved having plenty of space to spread out, especially knowing that we had some traditional hotel rooms coming up during the rest of our trip.

Breakfast was good - meats, bread, coffee cake, croissants, fruit and sweet little cups of fruit salad, yoghurt and cereal. More than enough to eat a substantial breakfast with a little variation each morning. The self serve coffee machine made excellent coffee and there was a thermos of hot milk to make cafe con leche. The dining room was on the top floor with a terrace and a great view (too cold to sit outside while we were there though).

The hotel is in an ideal location, easy walking distance to the Prado, the Reina Sofia Museum, Retiro Park, and the Plaza Mayor. It felt very safe and quiet, just round the corner from a very upscale neighborhood full of designer shops.

One note if arriving by taxi: the hotel name is not easily seen from the road and our taxi driver drove past it (even though we were all looking out for it). He turned off the meter while we did a big loop on a one way system to get back to it. If you look for the James Joyce Pub, you can't miss it.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over the main road are nice and light, with french doors. Tradeoff is traffic noi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank italaphile

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We arrived very early due to our train schedule, and expected to drop our luggage off and have to explore the city for awhile before checking in. Instead, we got our introduction to what I can honestly say is the best customer service we have ever received at a hotel.

We were checked right in, as a room was available, and had a chance to shower and collect ourselves before heading out into Madrid.

Did I mention the customer service? It was incredible. The staff was attentive to every need and always smiling and friendly. They even remembered us throughout our stay.

The hotel is so centrally located, the only time we didn't walk was getting to the train station with our luggage. And there is ALWAYS something going on around the hotel - restaurants, cafes, shopping, museums, sights to see, even a several thousand strong political demonstration
- the hotel is in the perfect location.

And just in case I haven't made this entirely clear, their customer service is absolutely outstanding. They even left candy for the kids when they made up the room.

The apartment itself was a great size, the only downsides being no dryer (so the bathroom was a constant jungle of drying clothes), and no hand washing items for the dishes, which meant we left the space somewhat more cluttered than we would have liked as we tended to eat our meals in and the dishwasher couldn't keep up. We really should apologize to the housekeeping staff for that.

And have I mentioned the amazing customer service?

I can't imagine why I, or anyone else, would stay in any other hotel in Madrid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Shawn D
Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

My family of 5 were pleasantly surprised and pleased from the moment we walked into the lobby of the Splendom, we knew we made the right choice! We had been touring Spain and with 5 in our group, the hotel choices were limited. We hesitated when making a reservation at an "apart hotel" not having had any previous experience with this type of lodging we worried about the amenities and comfort as compared to a traditional hotel room. I have to say that this was an exceptional facility with staff that seemed happy to help us with our every need. What a breath of fresh air! Madrid was out last stop in Spain, and we had not been very impressed with other apart hotels we had stayed at during our trip. We had very low expectations of the Splendom when we arrived, but from the second we opened our suite's door we knew that this was the exception to our previous experiences. We had a beautiful 2 bedroom room, with a lovely view. A sitting room and a kitchen, decorated in modern lux, space for all of our stuff and even some breathing room and privacy for my husband and I! Great location within walking distance to both the underground metro and above ground (taxi or bus) stops made getting around the city a breeze, too! I highly recommend this hotel, you will not be disappointed!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary M
Braga, Portugal
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Am I paid by the hotel to say this? No. I simply had the best experience. I had booked a 2-bedroom apartment to travel with a colleague, just for 1 night. I am really sorry that it was just one night, because it was awesome. The apartment was huge, facing the street (great view), complete kitchen incl. dish and clothes washing machines, large living room, 2 great bedrooms, plenty of wardrobes, great bathroom... The decoration is modern with some fancy touches that I would normally prefer more understated, but who cares? It even had some nice extras such as an I-Phone music station, DVD reader, Molton Brown toiletries, and a pillow menu! The breakfast room is smallish but has a terrific terrace in the 6th floor, and breakfast was OK (if you want eggs you pay extra). The staff couldn't be nicer, really friendly and helpful. I was really sorry that I was just there for one night, I'm looking forward to stay there in my next trips to Madrid. When I got home I found myself missing the terrific beds they have... I might have been there in the low season but I found the price ridiculously cheap for the service. I was even planning not to write a review so that I won't have problems in the future with the hotel being full! That's how jealous I am of other people finding this hotel. I think it must be perfect for families.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are nicer and still no problem with noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MartaC
Rimini, Italy
Reviewed October 29, 2012

this is one of the few 4 stars hotels in Madrid without Fitness. It's overpriced for the basic services it offers and the personnel keep on promising that they are waiting for good equipment to come...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Patricia C, Director Comercial at Luxury Suites, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed because we do not have a fitness yet. As my colleagues mentioned, we are in the process of building one as we are a new hotel. Nevertheless, we are located next to the Retiro Park with running tracks.

Best regards,

Elk Grove, California, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The staff is amazing. They constantly let us get breakfast even after it was over (5 minutes). This hotel has absolutely nothing wrong with it. The only complaint I have is that it is a little loud at all hours of the night. Mainly due to the cars driving on the streets, and on the weekends because there's a lot of people outside.......

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rickie R
Patricia C, Director Comercial at Luxury Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very happy to hear that you spent a good time among us and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful. The location was great, near major attractions and metro stops.The suites were very clean and with king sizes beds rarely found in Europe. Great for families. Complete kitchen. Bathrooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel staff left little treats every night with weather information for the next day. Overall, our stay at the splendom suites was wonderful. I definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Madrid.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary C
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We love to hear thay you enjoyed your stay at Splendom Suites and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.