Wellington Hotel
$138
$132
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Hotel Catalonia Plaza Mayor(Madrid)
$127
$460
$386
  • Room Service
1,591 results
All reviewsretiro parkbull fightersoutdoor pooltraditional hotelsalamanca neighborhoodfive star hotelgrand hotelmarble bathroomroom servicewonderful hotelclub roomthe ritzreception staffcommon areastwo blockssuperior roombreakfast buffet is
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We stayed in the Hotel Wellington in late December 2008 and to celebrate the New Year in Madrid. We booked the hotel on the Aer Lingus website. Overall, we were disappointed with the service as follows:

- The male staff in the hotel did not present a friendly face to guests and should be made aware of who pays the bills. It would be expected that a hotel of this quality would have staff with limited English or more importantly, a willingness to try to understand basic English. This was not our experience.

- We had no control over the room temperature -- it was uncomfortably hot and stuffy.

We would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2008

We stayed in the Wellington hotel and we loved it.
The hotel room was spacious,clean and neat.
The bathroom was big and extremely clean and the shower luxurious.The plaster between the tiles around the bath could use some change.I liked the glas door dividing the toilet and the bathroom.The bed was huge and comfortable.
The walls are a bit thin,we heard some action on the next room as well as the flushing of the toilets and people using the shower.Our room on the 5 fth floor was above a nightclub but we only noticed once because we had our window open.Once we
close the window we didn't hear anything.
The staf was great .They were helpfull and friendly.When we arrived our room was next to the elevator,when we complained about the constant noise they gave us a room right away.
The lady from housekeeping was very nice.The hotel is on a great location and the metro is very near.We can't wait to go back to madrid and stay in the Wellington again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My family and I had a wonderful stay (2 nights) at this hotel. The staff was friendly and efficient. We were traveling with a 1 year-old baby and there was always some smiling employee rushing to carry the stroller down the stairs or to help in any way. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a large choice of both spanish and international dishes and freshly squeezed juices. The room (junior suite) was immaculate, quiet and had a nice view over the Madrid skyline. The bed was one of the most comfortable I ever slept in. The building is old, charming and perfectly located in the posh Barrio Salamanca area. Although I saw some readers complaining about the size of the elevators I think they were okay. Elevators in century-old european buildings are usually not very large and these ones were among acceptable standards. We booked through the hotel's website and had a special discount fare, as August seems to be the low season there, which made our stay increadibly cheap for such a high level of luxury. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Madrid.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Fantastic service, very helpful, friendly staff.
The housekeeping was excellent, they always topped up the bathroom freebies (was Molton Brown) and there was a turn-down service in the evening (with chocolate on the pillow!)

The Bar Ingles (hotel lobby bar) was expensive though and so was the mini bar but the bar service was impeccable.
Didnt try the food so can't comment on this.

Were 3 Metro stations within less than 5 mins walking disctance (easy to get to/from the airport on the Metro). Also the Madrid Vision (hop-on, hop-off tourist open top bus) stopped right outside the hotel which was very handy for seeing the whole city.

Pool was just ok, not really enough sun beds.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2008

The five star luxury Wellington hotel is said to be one of the top three hotels in Madrid and I can't deny that. The Ritz and the Westin are the other luxury five star hotels, but they do not have the outdoor swimming pool privilege that there is at The Wellington. I was lucky to stay in July and the weather was very typical hot, so having the pool area was fantastic and the food here is very good. The room I had was a standard king size bed room and was spacious and the marble bathroom was really big and complimentary toiletries are amongst the best quality, although Molton Brown products are only available in the suites, I still managed to blag some of the body lotions! Watch out for wanting to put your own food and drinks in the mini bar fridge to keep cool, because it is an electronic computerised fridge and anything moved is automatically charged to your bill even if you haven't consumed it. I had to complain and have the drinks removed to keep my own food cold, because I refuse to pay 3 Euros for a Coke, etc. Usually the staff are not this easy going and guests are warned that this is not allowed, so next time if I stay here I will call the hotel beforehand to get a mini fridge arranged. I never had the breakfast, but it is an expensive extra at around 25 Euros. Try the supermarket across the road from the hotel instead! Or there are plenty of lovely cafes and restaurants around the area which are cheaper and very good. The hotel is located in the trendy Salamanca neighbourhood of Madrid, where there are a lot of really good boutiques and the famous El Corte Ingles department store is ten minutes walk. It is also walking distance from the Palacio De Deportes concert and sports arena and walking distance from the Metro.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo