1,616 results
All reviewsretiro parklinen sheetsoutdoor pooltraditional hotelsalamanca neighborhoodfive star hotelmarble bathroomgrand hotelroom servicewonderful hotelclub roomthe ritzcommon areasreception stafftwo blockssuperior roombreakfast buffet is
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I spent 3 days in Madrid on business and vacation. The hotel is very good, in a very good area. Service is very friendly and helpful. Very nice rooms and an excellent bathroom (showers are great!)
I only found 2 problems with the room:
1) the heating control was Off/very hot/volcanic/surface of the sun.... no individual regulation, so we had to sleep with our window open during fairly cold nights.
2) the TV system was a nuisance. There is some kind of commercial offering when you turn the TV on, that makes you go through 3 very slow menus before actually watch TV. Nothing too serious.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travelling, not for a family vacation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank McRae2011
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I guess this hotel is pretty old. It has the space that modern hotels don't have with an open central area for the lifts and wide corridors. I arrived at night for a business meeting the next day and so did not really get to explore. My room was comfortably large and had a well fitted out bathroom. You don't see many bidets these days. The shower had a large head which I appreciate and they provide a full accessories kit. So, no worries if you forget your toothpaste! Although it was November I found the room too warm for my liking and turned the air conditioning down. This didn't seem to make any difference. I also found the pillows a bit hard and combined with the heat did not have a great night's sleep. A few more sockets would have been appreciated. I couldn't stretch the cable for my laptop over to the desk. This and the aircon is the modernisation I referred to in the title. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive although while there was pineapple and peach juice there was no grapefruit juice which I would have considered more popular.

I seem to have dwelt on my niggles but actually I enjoyed my short stay here very much as its spaciousness gives a sense of comfort.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel is located in the expensive Salamanca district (Brits could compare it to Kensington, with lots of pricey boutique shops etc.). It's on the outskirts of central Madrid and it was a 20 minute walk to the centre of Madrid (Sol). We tended to eat in central Madrid as there was more choice and better prices than the restaurants in or around the hotel. Our room faced the internal courtyard and although the view was uninspiring, the room was very quiet and the motorised black out blinds ensured we had a good sleep. Retiro park is very close as are the museums (but the main archaeological museum is closed at the moment). The room was an OK size and clean but there was an odd mix of modern and older styles. The gym is located across the central courtyard and was fairly well equipped.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights with work. Hotel is spacious and clean and in a great location just off the park. Hotel is slightly dated in room layout (not many plug sockets) and bathrooms, whilst spacious, look like they were built in the 1980s. Breakfast is somewhat lacking with limited choice of "fresh" items e.g. fruit.
Free wifi helps.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel is special. It is not the most modern, even though they give each guest IPads to use while you visit, but somehow you can feel it's fabulous history. There are photos of famous past guest in the lobby and some very unique sitting areas throughout the hotel. My room was very large with an incredible bathroom.

Frankly, my 8 year old and I stayed in the Wellington because it has an outdoor pool and pools are hard to come by in Madrid. Madrid in August is hot. The pool and lounge area are magnificent; deep blue and cool. Did I mention Madrid is hot in August? Well it is, and if you are traveling with children there is only so much of the heat they can tolerate.

The front of the hotel has a giant upright bull statute, probably 12 feel tall, dressed as a bull fighter which makes for a great photo op. The door men and reception people could not be more accommodating. Although this hotel is a little uppity , it is very kid friendly and I most definitely would recommend it. They even have bikes that you can use to tour the area.

The location is about 3 blocks from one of the grandest parks in Madrid and the Prado is only about 5 blocks. Quiet at night but very safe.

FYI - We ventured 2 blocks away on Velazquez and found several excellent inexpensive cafes. Great breakfasts and lunch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family