“Not bad, not great”

Ranked #310 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Sydney
“Not bad, not great”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was the first hotel I stayed at on my tour for one night only.

The rooms were pretty small. Just large enough to open my suitcase.
The reception spoke pretty good English.
The dinner and breakfast buffets were OK. Not fantastic.
Safe hire not included.

The walls were so thin that I could hear the phone vibrating in the next room.

Costs a 35 euro cab ride from Barajas airport.

I only had to stay there for one night so I can't really comment too much

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Joey C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tampa FL
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited Madrid on my own for two nights and loved this hotel although it is just a little off the beaten path. It is located in a residential area, about 10-12 minutes walk from the closest train station. It is about a 25-30 minute uphill walk to the Plaza Real and the Palace, which takes you over a beautiful bridge and through an arch, so I would recommend you do that once during your stay. The rooms are small and have quite a bit of noise due to thin walls, but otherwise, it is very comfortable. I can't say enough good things about the breakfast!! Delicious!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank sasaro
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed at the Praga while visiting friends who live in the neighborhood and found it to be a good value and a pleasant place to stay. I think it would be a relatively good location for any traveler coming to Madrid who doesn't mind being slightly away from the city center. As other reviewers noted, it's a pleasant walk or easy bus ride to all the main sights, and the surrounding neighborhood has good stores and restaurants- it's a real neighborhood where Madrilenos live, and you also have the newly completed riverwalk, which we enjoyed walking along.

We enjoyed having the breakfast buffet and found the staff pleasant. As elsewhere in Spain, you will have an easier time if you speak a bit of Spanish- we observed some others struggling to communicate with staff. The wifi seemed a bit expensive and you also had to pay to use the safe in the room, but we still felt it was a good value overall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank David D
Odessa, Ukraine
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The hotel has a good location, 10 minutes from underground station. There are supermarket and shops near the hotel.

Rooms are nice and clean, breakfast is also good.
I recommend this hotel for few days in Madrid!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Konstantin V
London, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Not a 5 star wasn't expecting one. Close to subway. Nice park just behind hotel. Lots of shops and restaurants close by.

We were part of Cosmos tour and arrived early morning. Even though we had been warned we wouldn't be allowed to check in till after 3:00 PM, they still allowed us to check in early.

The one elevator around the corner from the others is much less busy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jerome_in_london
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is situated close to the center of Madrid. You can walk to the Plaza Real in twenty five minutes through a charming area or you can take bus line 23 which leaves you there in ten minutes. I recommend the walking, as you can see this part of town and it’s a pleasant experience. From there you can walk to the Puerta del Sol as well as all the important points in the city. The breakfast in the hotel is excellent, and it is normally included with the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jose T
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Like many before us, we too travelled on a Cosmos tour but our stay extended to 4 nights. Our overriding memories are of the very poor quality food associated with the tour group (banquet) dining room and the abysmal service, bordering on downright RUDE. After our tour had finished we paid for an extra day as individual travellers (very expensive I might add) before flying to Toulouse. The main dining room refused to serve us and when we pointed out the problem to the reception, ie we were not with a tour AND we had paid for the extra day ourselves, they were just not interested. They said it was the tour group dining room or nothing.
To add to this insult, the day before was my partner's 60th birthday, hence this very expensive trip to Europe. For this special occasion I had bought a bottle of champagne. I checked the mini-bar to find that, most unusually for even the most basic hotel, there was neither wine nor champagne glasses. I went to the bar and pointed out this omission and politely requested two champagne glasses, I was refused. The reception were equally as blunt and non receptive. Whatever happened to customer service ? They just did not care.
The rooms were clean but very much on the small side, and given the cost that we had paid, were very poor value for money. Wifi was at a cost, can you believe that in this day and age ????
We are seasoned travellers and quite capable of roughing it, we do not like to make a fuss and are very understanding when things go wrong, that's life. But I have to say that hell will freeze over before I go back to this hotel or recommend it to any other traveller who just wants to be treated respectfully and fairly.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere !!!