“Amazing location”

Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel
Ranked #230 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Really enjoyed our time here, stayed for a week in September. It's a fantastic spot for exploring Madrid. The staff were friendly and the hotel was clean...only slight issue was the air con is not the best on the planet, hence the 4 stars.

There is a museo de jamon a few doors up which is the best place to start any day/night out!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NeilDJ81
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear guest, thank you for comments. Our location is absolutely one of the best. Regarding the air conditioning, during September the weather supposed colder, and we adjust the temperature accordingly. If you take a look the other reviews, we don’t have negative comments for the air-conditioning, so I believe what is happens is something sporadically. Please if you ever think in coming back let us know and we’ll choose the coolest room!

There are newer reviews for Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here for three nights. Had a very big, nice room with all amenities. It was Very Quiet as I faced the courtyard not the street. Since the hotel is located on Grand Via a very busy street would recommend asking for an inside room. Most sights within easy walking distance. Very nice breakfast! Note: front desk is not staffed with fluent English speakers and there is no porter service.

Room Tip: Get inside room as hotel is located on Grand Via
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol S
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear guest, thank you very much for your time and review. I’m glad that you enjoy your stay with us, please let us know if you ever come back!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'm presently on a business trip to Madrid and am joined on this occasion by my wife. We chose to stay at the Tryp Menfis and have been very happy with our choice. The only thing keeping me from rating it Excellent is the absence of any assistance with luggage. But that's the only negative.

Here are the positives:
1. Great location. We like to walk and have been pleased at how convenient the hotel is to various parts of the city including Plaza Mayor and Mercado San Miguel, El Rastro, Parque del Buen Retiro, etc. There is also a subway stop 200 meters up the street (Gran Via) and a bus stop where the Madrid bus tour stops.
2. Friendly and Helpful Staff. Front desk/reception staff have been helpful with all our requests relating to the hotel, how to get to places, tour bus inquiries, etc. The restaurant staff have been excellent too, even providing me with a pot of coffee to take to my room at a very early hour this morning. We did have need of the maintenance department to fix the in-room safe and they were both fast and polite.
3. Nice, comfortable room. Our room is on the 3rd floor and faces out to Gran Via (the street the hotel is on). If you're a light sleeper you may begin to notice traffic noises just before 7am but compared to NY City (which I'll give a 10 on the noise scale), I'd give Tryp Menfis a 5 or 6. The bathroom is not very big--and for visitors from the USA it may feel cramped--but it is very clean and functional. My only wish is that they would provide face cloths/flannels in addition to the hand towels and large towels. Room size overall though is more than adequate and compared to hotels in the UK, I'd say it's very big. Ceilings are 10 feet high so it feels like and spacious. Beds are comfortable.
4. Breakfast. The breakfast buffet here is very European. Obviously, we're in Spain. There are hot selections (fried and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage) plus a full compliment of cured meats, cheeses, fruit, and breads/pastries. Just the thing to start a busy day in Madrid.
5. Value for money. Simply put, I feel the hotel offers good value for the room and experience here at the hotel.

I travel a LOT throughout the year and generally stay at Hilton or Marriott brand hotels in lots of cities in the USA and to a lesser extent in other parts of Europe. I would choose to stay here at the Tryp Menfis on my next visit to Madrid.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DBradburn

Dear guest, thank you very much for your time and extended review.
I couldn’t agree more with you about all you said, I just would like to add something, please let me know if you ever come back! I’ll try to make your stay even more enjoyable.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during last week and were pleased with the location of the hotel but sadly not impressed with the room. I specified a quiet and non-smoking room at the time of booking and the room we were given on the 2nd floor was both noisy (hissing pipes sound constantly) and had a stale smell of smoke when the air con was switched off. On a positive note the rooms were spacious and if they were maintained better the room would be much improved. However, the chipped laminate, scuffed paint and wobbly skirting boards never look good. The phone in our room didn't work and there were no tea or coffee making facilities. The breakfast which we paid 9€ each for was not good value, the 'hot food' was barely warm and didn't taste fresh. The staff were helpful and pleasant but we will not stay here next time we visit Madrid.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room at the back of the hotel was noisy due to early morning deliveries and hissing pipes.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear guest, I feel sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations. You have been made clear that you won’t choose us again, but if you ever change your mind, please contact me directly and I’ll make sure you have a better experience, like most of our guest do. Best regards.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I checked into the Tryp Menfis for one night only due to it being fully booked for the remainder of the week. The hotel is conveniently located and modern. My room was on the 6th floor (609) and overlooked a number of buildings and the city skyline. It had a small terrace, but no furniture so you would not be able to sit outside.

The room was clean and modern, but the bathroom is TINY - there is barely enough room to move around.

One major problem with the rooms is that there is no WIFI, and the ADSL cable I was provided did not work. You can access the internet through WIFI at the reception area, however I found this to be a major inconvenience to the hotel, which I don't think is suitable for business travellers.

If you are looking for a cheap and clean hotel that is no -fuss and you don't require internet access or want a high level of service this is a very good choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen our hotel and for publishing your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you had a nice stay in our hotel because our principal aim is to give you our best service, make your stay unforgettable and reach your expectations. Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality.

Looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Kind regards.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I am currently in Madrid on a city break on my own. This is my third of four nights here. I normally stay at the trendy hotels out of town so you get more bang for your buck but got a great deal here so thought I would give it a try.
Here is the low down:
1. The location - amazing; right on gran via; I have not used the metro since I got off it having arrived from the airport. You can walk everywhere and you are right near the Temple of Debod which is the most amazing place I have ever sunbathed in Europe.
2. The rooms - spacious, clean, everything you need; quiet; really comfy beds - I have slept like I was at home and when the rooms are cleaned in the morning they are immaculate.
3. Free gym with enough to keep those churros pounds off

In summary - this hotel has been perfect - it is so much more personal than the business hotels and yes reception could be more personable but to be frank they are there to do a job and they do it perfectly well.

If youre visiting Madrid - stay here; it just makes sense.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank nadeemcrowe
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of Tryp Madrid Menfis, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid. Our incredible location and our spacious rooms are the most important for our guest and we are proud to know that you felt very comfortable in our hotel and you enjoyed our services.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

We are looking forward see you again in your home in Madrid.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great location, walking distance to the tran station and the city center, friendly staff, clean rooms, reasonable price. It smelled bad, more like sea food in the lobby. We were welcomed by a tray of fruits and bottles of water.

Room Tip: We didn't get a good view. There was another building in front of our window.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yar521
Angel G, Gerente at Tryp Madrid Plaza Espana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear guests,

We really appreciate your kind comment and the time that you have taking to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I will trasmit to all the staff your kind comments. For the next time, we recommend you to book a Gran Vía View Room for enjoying the best views of the city.

Once again thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid and for your feedback, we really appreciate that.

Yours sincerely.