“Good characterful city centre hotel”

Petit Palace Preciados
Ranked #120 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed in room 205 Monday and Tuesday in mid-October. As you should have figured out from the other reviews the Hotel is very central and as you should expect is noisy if you open the window/doors. However, outside my room was very quiet during the night and whilst a colleague said there was one or two disturbances at the other side, she had a good nights sleep. Another colleague had a problem internally with a group of Italian teenagers on a school trip, who were extremely noisy. She complained to reception but not surprisingly after being quiet for 5 minutes the noise level slowly resumed. In the morning, one of the teachers on discovering what happened was very apologetic and said the students would be punished.

The rooms me and my colleagues stayed in were perfectly spacious and comfortable enough. There was a half bottle of complinentary wine on arrival. The bathroom was clean and pleasant. Everything I needed worked. The laptop with free wi-fi was very useful.

Breakfast was excellent in my view. The second morning the Italian student brigade strained the hotels ability to replenish the food and cutlery but with a small of patience all was fine. And everything was nicely done. Other than that they only do packed lunches but given it's location that is no problem.

Taxi's dropped us a short walk from the Hotel but picked us up at 9am both mornings directly out front of the Hotel.

Reception spoke excellent English and were very professional and helpful. Check out was very quick and easy. The building itself had a bit of character about it and wasn't just an identikit modern hotel.

All in all, I would recommend this Hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LayneWalker
Laura C, Departamento de ventas online at Petit Palace Preciados, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Reviewer;

Thank you for your very complimentary review of HT. Our team are delighted that you enjoyed their service and look forward to welcoming you back again.

I look forward to meeting you upon your return.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The room was ok'ish
We felt the staff treaded us as if we were in a "B" grade Hostel.
The location is good, but so noisy even with the windows closed.
AC was stuck on heat and because of the street noise, including police and ambulances all night long. So there is no relief opening a window.
We got moved to a inside room with an inside window at 2am and the AC was stuck on heat too. At least we could open a window.
Never ever staying there again.

Room Tip: If you have to, take an inside room or be sure the AC works in an outside room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ray M
Laura C, Gerente at Petit Palace Preciados, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear.

After your stay in our Hotel, I do not want to miss the opportunity to send you this message with my apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay with us. Our mission is for you to enjoy your trip in a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. I am sorry that we could not be successful in your case. For this reason I would like to thank you for your opinion and comments, as this is the only way to improve the quality of our property and change any mistakes that have been made.
In any case, the fact that you encountered such inconveniences, you may rest assured that I am personally investigating the mishaps and will ensure such errors do not reoccur. It would give me great pleasure if you would give us the opportunity to recover your confidence in our hotel and company.
Thank you for your help.
Isabel Rodríguez

Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you are someone who wishes to spend your day in your room then no this is not the place for you. Location was perfect - you are opposite corte Ingles- 3 min walk from the main station. Within walking distance from good eating spots. In regards to location I was happy here. There are a few prostitutes not far away but you only see them in the evening and to be honest they are harmless- they just stand there and did not bother me in the slightest. I felt completely safe and enjoyed my trip.

I loved the fact they give you a laptop- all hotels should really be doing this!! It worked well- good speed and of course included in cost.

I came with my friend we had a twin room- it was big enough for us both. Not massive but reasonably sized. We had a balcony too which was nice.

Staff- not the chattiest but they looked after our luggage and that's it really. But not sure what else I would need.

A short city break- completely recommend and would stay again

Room Tip: I faced the Corte Ingles- you get a balcony. Think it is slightly noisier than other rooms but this...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hena_London
Laura C, Online sales department at Petit Palace Preciados, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I was absolutely delighted to read your feedback regarding your stay hope you will join us again in the near future.
Best regards,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

What a great location, right in the center on a bustling shopping plaza. What a disappointing experience, unhappy, rude, unhelpful attendant and very small rooms with 4 bunk bed. Good if you need to house a gaggle of teenagers, but that is about it. My wife and i would never stay here again, and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sk321
Laura C, Online Sales Department at Petit Palace Preciados, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear guest;

We regret that your stay wasn't meet your expectations. We hope we get another chance, please contact with the hotel manager at the following email for assist you personally and to offset these inconveniences.

dtorlon(at)hthoteles(dot)com

Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a perfect location near Plaza Sol. The staff on the whole were a bit hit and miss. Some were great, others disinterested. Every night a different busker was performing in the street under our balcony which was great -except the one pretending to be a bad baby. The computer in the room is very convenient and a big help to us because I was robbed and had to rearrange my finances via home. But when they say small rooms, they mean it. Really, really small. In fact you can't fit two suitcases in the double room. We had to store one under the bed and keep the other closed and standing upright. Bit of a nuisance. The other problem was the smell from the bathroom. We complained and they fixed it for a day - but it came back. It may be just that the plumbing can't cope. I noticed a reviewer complained about the taxis - but the hotel called them for us when needed and they came right to the door. No problem. But I would probably investigate alternatives if I went back.

Room Tip: I think they are probably all much the same. I have rated the rooms 'poor' simply because o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamiela2009
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here in October 2011. The location was awesome and we loved having a tiny little balcony to step out onto. The room was extremely small - would have to step over our suitcases everytime we walked around the bed. Overall, it was fine for us, only staying in Madrid for 2 nights, but I would definitely not recommend it for a long stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is that it is at the centre of Madrid but also not noisy at night. Very friendly staff and lovely roomy room. The metro station is just outside as are the shops, cafes and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple