“great location, not so great hotel”

Petit Palace Londres
Ranked #127 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“great location, not so great hotel”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here in October 2011. The location was awesome and we loved having a tiny little balcony to step out onto. The room was extremely small - would have to step over our suitcases everytime we walked around the bed. Overall, it was fine for us, only staying in Madrid for 2 nights, but I would definitely not recommend it for a long stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is that it is at the centre of Madrid but also not noisy at night. Very friendly staff and lovely roomy room. The metro station is just outside as are the shops, cafes and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick O
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2012

While the rooms are clean and relatively pleasant at first glance, there are simply too many negatives for me to recommend this property to friends or family.

ROOM: First, my room on the 3rd floor was plagued by a hot sewer smell that seemed to come up through the bathroom plumbing. Indeed, this is an issue I encountered in streets, stores, and the subway throughout the Puerto del Sol area in which the hotel is located.
When I mentioned the problem to the front desk on my first day the girl behind the counter looked at me like I was crazy and the gentleman working with her said they would send up maintenance. Whether or not maintenance ever looked into a problem they likely couldn't fix anyway, I don't know; I waited 40 minutes for someone to arrive and decided to leave for lunch rather than waste my entire day waiting around in a smelly room. It was suggested that I ask if it was even possible to switch rooms the next day; at that point I was unpacked and annoyed with no guarantee this wasn't a hotel-wide issue so I figured I'd endure it as I wasn't going to be in the room for any purpose other than sleep, anyway.

I had to keep the bathroom door closed at all times, choke my way through a shower, and finish hairdrying and makeup application near the bed after closing the bathroom door. In order to get some fresh air circulating and reduce the smell I opened the french doors that led out to my balcony; this is not an option overnight, however, as the area is quite the "happening" place with revelers below the balcony until 3-4am.

AREA: In fact, the area is the other reason I would not recommend this hotel. It was not really my cup of tea. Yes, you are in reach of many shopping, dining and entertainment venues and yes, you have spectacular access to the Metro. However, with a lot of people and partying comes a lot of thieves and...well let's just say, "interesting"...people. Yes, I was targeted by a thief (who was unsuccessful) while eating al fresco near the hotel. I found that the dining options and safety (especially for solo female travelers) in other areas were superior, anyway.

Yes, it is noisy but that is to be expected with the "Times Square" of Madrid; this would have been perfectly tolerable (as the french doors do close out most noise) had the room not smelled like the sewer thereby requiring the doors to be open much of the time to gain fresh air.

GETTING THERE: Further, due to the prevalence of petty thieves and drunks and the fact that you must drag your luggage a block to the non-pedestrian area to catch a cab to the airport, I would think carefully about if you need assistance with your luggage and other circumstances surrounding your arrival or departure times-- especially if traveling alone. I had to catch my cab at 4:30am and fortunately the taxi was able to make an exception and meet me at the door at that time of morning....he loaded my bag into the trunk as a gentleman unzipped his pants and relieved himself in the alley next to the hotel's front door. Nice.

I was grateful for the safety measure that required that one must be buzzed-in for entrance into the hotel. Otherwise, I was unimpressed with the bleak lobby and hallways, overpriced breakfast, staff that was largely not interested in being friendly nor helpful (with the exception of one brunette front desk clerk who I appreciated greatly). This, combined with the gritty location and apparent plumbing challenges soured my view of this property. I would recommend spending more and staying in the Salamanca or Plaza de Oriente areas of the city. Had I not pre-paid, I would have fled to another hotel immediately.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I had stayed at the Petit Hotel Londres in 2001, and booked again in 2012 knowing that it is within walking distance of all of the best food, nightlife, and sites in Madrid. My experience in 2012 was much different than mt stay in 2001. I had booked the same type of room, but was given a very small room in the corner of the hotel.

The quarters were extremely tight for my husband and I. Other family members that we were traveling with had booked the 4-person room. The quarters were also a bit tight but had a balcony with a great view. Our bed had the side of it up against a wall, so you could only get into the bed from one side. There was less than 3 feet of walking space in the room. Even the shower was tiny. You have to squeeze your knees into the shelf under the sink in order to sit on the toilet. We visited Madrid in May 2012 and it was 90 degrees all week during our stay. The hotel did not have any air conditioning on and it was EXTREMELY HOT in the room. We called the front desk and asked them to turn on the air conditioning and they advised that they "were not aware that the weather would be so hot and would be turning on the air conditioning the next day". It was very difficult to sleep because the window opened inward toward the room and the corner of the window was 3 inches from my head when I was laying in the bed. I was scared that I would hit my head on the corner of the window if we kept it open. We asked to change rooms and they advised us that it was not possible. One of the windows in my room opened into a cement wall! The air conditioning was finally turned on.

Now, there are also good points to this hotel. The main positive attribute is the location. This hotel is one block from SOL, the center for all of Madrid's biggest parties, festivals, parades, pep rallys, and demonstrations. We saw a number of amazing sites in sol just by chance while walking to & from our hotel. We walked right into the Team Atletico pep rally, the San Isidro parade, & the "Occupy Madrid" demonstrations. These are all sites that we would have missed had we not stayed in this location.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a view of the street & get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sheila f
Laura C, Departamento de Ventas Online at Petit Palace Londres, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for leaving us your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry you had an uncomfortable stay in our hotel and for the inconveniences. Some of the rooms are small but are well appointed and cleaned to a high standard.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next visiting the area.

Kind Regards.
england
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights whilst in MAdrid on business. Although I would not chose to stay there if I was on a romantic stay, with colleagues it was perfect.
The room was clean and tidy and yes it is in a fantastic position for the city, literally minutes walk from Sol.
The bed was comfy enough and breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank asty
Laura C, Departamento de ventas online at Petit Palace Londres, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful detailed review. Our team are delighted that you enjoyed their service and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Firstly, I have no idea why people are complaining about the noise here. If you book a hotel right in the centre of a capital city then it's hardly going to be a haven of tranquility! Here's a tip - close the window if you dont like the hustle and bustle of city life!

This is a reasonably priced, perfectly located hotel with modern, clean rooms and great character!

The staff were helpful and friendly, even though I dont speak a word of Spanish, the beds were incredibly comfortable and the rooms a reasonable size, modern and well maintained.

The shower was fantastic and the free laptop in each room was a godsend. Who needs guidebooks when you have a world of information right there in your hotel room?

Breakfast is served on the hotel roof which is a great touch, there's a little courtyard you can sit out if the weather is nice and enjoy some fresh air, the selection is great and it's well priced.

Our room overlooked Calle de Galdo, and yes the streets are busy but close the window and the sound is blocked. To the point where I didnt even notice the Madrid Marathon was going on right under our window!!

Overall, this is a fantastic hotel if youre looking for somewhere well priced for a city break.

Room Tip: if you don't want noise, go to the countryside
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Swaley
Laura C, Departamento de ventas online at Petit Palace Londres, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Thank you for your very complimentary review of Petit Palace Londres.Our team are delighted that you enjoyed their service and look forward to welcoming you back again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Based on a Kirker package, this 'centrally located' hotel was advised to us and our family of 4. Yes, it was a good location - city center, shops, metro - but the size of the room, the poor quality of the mattresses, broken shower and the overall bad smell quickly showed us why never to book a family room in a 3 star property. No cushy moments, here, after walking the Madrid streets. Shame on Kirker!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family