“Centrally located, but very lacking”

Eurostars Casa de la Lirica
Ranked #170 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I booked a 5 night business stay via our corporate travel system as the hotel is very central. I booked a King Bed suite, B&B rate with 'welcome drink'. Upon arrival I was told that the hotel had overbooked, and I would either have to take a single room (which when inspected was the size of a walk in wardrobe), or move to a partner hotel 15 minutes out of the city, the compensation for which would be - free breakfast for the duration of my stay! After a lengthy stand off and engaging our travel team I eventually agreed to the single room for one night, before moving to my rightful room for the remainder of my stay. I also got my entitled breakfast but no discount for the nights inconvenience. I really would not recommend this place based on my experience. Oh and I never got my Welcome Drink either!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location is extremely central.
I was in one of the rooms facing the inside, so no view and slightly dark, but extremely quiet.
Breakfast was good, with a reasonable variety of options.
The room and bathroom were in a good state.
I only had a minor issue with the shower temperature, which couldn't be fixed because I was there during a bank holiday.
It's an average 4* hotel. No particular fantastic surprises, but no bad surprises either.
If you manage to get a reasonable rate, it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We arrived on a Friday morning and checked into a room which at first seemed to be nice and quiet. Starting at 11 PM on Friday night we had loud noise right below our windows ( singing, yelling, kicking bottles, screaming, etc.) until 6 AM on Saturday morning and the only person who slept was our daughter because she was sleeping on an extra bed in the adjoining sitting area.

On top of the sleepless night, at 7 AM we started to have water leak from the room above into our room. My husband immediately called the front desk and the man from the desk who came up seemed clueless and told us that we had to move rooms. Since there was a patch in the same spot as the leak, this wasn't the first time. My husband also asked about the noise and we were told that there was a disco in back of the hotel which was open from 11 PM-6AM on Friday nights. It did not seem logical for the disco to be open on just Fridays and when we asked whether he was sure it was only on Friday nights he assured us that was so.

The room that we moved to was right under the last room and sure enough on Saturday night starting at 11 PM we had the same noise and didn't sleep again. The next morning( Sunday) my husband was livid and complained to the young woman at reception and again he asked whether that was it or was there noise everynight. She was more honest and said that it was only on Fridays and Saturdays which proved true. She did look frazzled and we thought that we were not the only ones to complain about the noise.

If you need a large room for a family, etc you have to be in one of these larger rooms looking out on Aduana ( bring earplugs). A friend stayed at the hotel and said that her back room was quiet but very small for 2 people.

There was no free WIFI and if you don't want to pay the expensive hotel rates, you have to walk over to a fast food store or something with free WIFI.

Some of the staff is more helpful than others. Generally the women at the front desk were much sharper.

If you are with a family you might want to consider that there are a lot of streetwalkers in the area.
Our friends from Madrid told us that the area is notorious for it and my husband and daughter observed the "action" first hand.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne P
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel. 2-3 minutes walk from Sol you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere more central. True it is up a sidestreet but if you were to find the 30 second walk from the main street to the hotel in any way threatening (as some earlier reviewers appear to have) you're much better off staying at home & watching Crimewatch. I paid a very reasonable price for an inside room (rather dark as you'd expect) that was just adequate in size for 2 people. Can't comment on breakfast (though there are numerous cafes within a short walk). The varying temperature of the water in the shower, allied with some noisy Spanish school children (par for the course in August in Spain!) were the only negatives.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patchesonelbows
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were moved to this hotel as there was a problem with our room at the Ada Palace that we were booked intro. Transfer was prompt by taxi. Check in very efficient. Breakfast was a buffet with plenty of choice. Staff were very helpful with all our questions we asked , hotel in ideal spot for sight seeing and metro stations.would highly recommend this hotel from our 3 night stay in Madrid

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Madrid
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Was a nice stay in Madrid, but our first room was so noisy . It was dififult sleep
The problem it's a disco just behind the hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Limited service. No Wi-Fi in room. Breakfast OK - good coffee but some of the fruit was old and dry as though it had been out for days.

Can't comment on location as booked for work so was close to the office.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business