“A very good hotel close to Prado Museum”

Mercure Madrid Centro
Ranked #169 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Rome, Italy
“A very good hotel close to Prado Museum”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is perfect as a starting point for the tour of the town. Madrid is beautiful!!
Our room was big, modern, clear and quiet. Continental breakfast was abundant and very very good!
Staff was very nice, they have suggested us a restaurant where we have eaten an excellent paella!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel, booked sight unseen over the Internet, lived up in every way to its own website, and now, having spent an excellent five days there I am pleased to write in support of the good opinions of many other people. The young reception staff were pleasant, helpful and informative. The rooms, while not in the deluxe category, we easily adequate for two of us. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom clean and well-stocked, the room was quite quiet despite looking onto the street. The experience was well worth the price and we would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian I
Marbella, España
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very well situated close to the most famous museums and most famous classical hotels in Madrid.
at a relatively quiet street. The surroundings in this historic centre are very interesting.with streets named after famous authors from the Spanish " Siglo de Oro". In the hotel itself you have a themed library about Lope de Vega. It is also quite close to the Atocha railway station, practical if you arrive by e g a high speed train.There is also a private parking.
The hotel is very nice, fresh and clean and the reception most helpful. A fine breakfast buffet is served.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights, had a very good deal (50% off via trip advisor) when compared to the other hotels of the area. The breakfast was good and the staff very nice and helpful but the wooden floor was a bit noisy as we could hear our neighbors walk.
All in all good value for money.

Room Tip: 7th floor = no neighbors upstairs
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank French_Aussie
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Lope de Vega over New Years. Chose the hotel for the great location and price at the time. Depending if you like walking, I walked practically everywhere from here, to Sol, Retiro Park, the shops at Gran Via, Tribunal etc. Of course you can get a metro, we used Banco de Espana regularly to get back and forth if we were not walking! Also got metro to and from the airport.
Room is acceptable, not massive but clean. Only thing I missed was tea and coffee facilities, I think even 2* hotels I've had to stay in before have had a kettle!
Close to Starbucks, VIPs and bars and more Spanish eateries.
I don't think the hotel is a 4*, more a solid to high 3. Missed a bit of charm/welcoming friendly enthusiastic vibe from the staff but other than that a good stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Clare-pea
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Quiet spot in busy city. Good position for getting to see Madrid. The road outside is not particularly attractive or even kept very clean, but feels safe.

Rooms are a reasonable size and clean. Beds are comfortable. The four stars are debatable, but if you are not paying full rate it is good value. Under 80 euros with breakfast for the standard of hotel in Madrid is not bad.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Straveller75
AZ
Reviewed December 11, 2012

After a week at a true 4**** Madrid hotel (Hotel Atlantico) I moved to the Lope de Vega to join up with a group I’d be traveling with for the next week. Upon arrival my first impression was horror, I’d entered a dark dingy waiting room reminiscent of an old Greyhound bus station, and behind the counter was a young woman who showed no interest at all in my arrival despite my being overloaded with bags and having great difficulty making it safely through the door and down the steps. After I was checked in she produced a key and waved me to the lift, I asked for help getting my bags up and as there was no one else in sight she grudgingly agreed to accompany me. We reached the top floor and she led me to a room that once inside I couldn’t get out of quickly enough -- it was small, cramped, smelled strongly of vomit and clearly had not been included in the recent renovation of guest rooms -- it looked as awful as it smelled. I flatly refused to stay there and eventually was shown to a room which I agreed to take though I did consider it substandard. Dirty walls, dusty surfaces, a paucity of toiletries and the ones that were offered were motel quality. I headed out and brought some decent soap and shampoo and made up my mind that since I was stuck there for three nights I’d try to make the best of it. A great help was the wifi, it didn’t always work but it was pretty good and I was grateful to have it. Breakfasts were included but they weren’t at all appealing (nor was the dining room) so I mostly didn’t bother.

I cannot understand how this hotel rates four stars, two and a half max I would call it. Aside from the unfriendly staff and less than acceptable level of housekeeping there is an air of dreariness that pervades the public rooms that I found pretty depressing, and I was very happy to walk out the door for the last time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank primrose87
HotelLopedeVega_12, Director Comercial at Mercure Madrid Centro, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Good morning :

We regret that your impression about your stay has not been very good.
We can understand that maybe our decoration is not your preference but we are sorry about the opinion of the staff because they are always trying to help our costumers , as you said, the person of the front desk helped you with the luggage and in the moment that you complaint about the first one , she gave you another room .

After the change of the room in your arrival everything seemed solved , even we talked with the tour leader about the stay of the whole group and we did not receive any comment about your insatisfaction.

About our wireless free service, sometimes is true that the line has been a little slow but to solve it ,we have already taken a solution and we are going to change the system to Optical fiber to give our guest the highest speed possible

Of course that we thank your comments because they help us to improve but we would have appreciatted that you had comunicated us all this issues during your stay to try to make your stay as nice as possible.

Best regards