“from Boston's North Shore” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Madrid Centro

Mercure Madrid Centro
Ranked #174 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“from Boston's North Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Perfect location for visiting museums & gardens.
Very friendly & exceptionally helpful desk staff.
Buffet breakfast really varied & quite good.
Room very clean and beds very comfortable.
Plain room with modern bathroom and a little patio (back room, not on street side of building). Earplugs blocked all noise from adjoining rooms.
Will definitely stay there again & again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

A perfect starting point each day. Walked to hotel from train station with suitcase, stroller and 1yo. Very short walk.

Don't ask the guy next to the train station (newspaper guy) for directions. I had a 1yo with me and said "excuse me may I ask you a question?". He said "no". I speak Spanish so it wasn't a language barrier. I thought he must be joking and said "I just need to know which direction is the Prado museum". He answered "did you not hear me? I said no questions.". And he didn't tell me!! I don't care how bad your day is, there is no excuse to be that rude.

Madrid is not as kid friendly as Barcelona. Hi chairs are scarce. We took a fabric chair that attaches to ANY chair and were fine.

Hotel was great. We arrived early and they accommodated it. Didn't do breakfast, as it was cheaper out of hotel, and more varied.

Great hotel for visiting museums too!!

• Stayed August 2011
Kilkenny, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay in Hotel Lope da Vega, Madrid. The hotel room was very clean, the staff were pleasant and helpful. While our room faced the street, we had no issues with noise etc. The excellent and varied breakfast set us up for a busy day's sightseeing. The hotel is ideally situated opposite the Prado and enables a visitor to be close to all of the sights of central Madrid. It was our first visit and we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tommywelltravelled
Clermont,Florida (West of Orlando)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

After having stayed at another 4 star hotel in Madrid just a couple of weeks earlier, I assumed that Hotel Lope de Vega would be on the same par. Unfortunately I was terribly wrong. I had called earlier in the day requesting a quiet, sunny room. The first room I was assigned to was on the main floor and was anything but quiet. The second room was on the back of the hotel (dark) and located on a smoking floor. I do not smoke nor do I enjoy the smell of cigarettes. I could not understand why they would not have asked me prior to putting me in a smoking room whether that would have been an issue for me. The front desk staff acted as though I was insane for finding fault in that. I wound up in a third (noisy) room for which I had to pay an additional 10 euros per night. It was definitely not quiet.
Their rooms were all worn and weary. They could all use a good coat of paint and some additional decorative touches. The walls are paper thin. The bathroom was okay except for the huge rust stain running down the side of the shower wall.

Room Tip: I asked for a specific type of room in advance and they will told me that they would accommodate my...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JMC130
Studio City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is an excellent hotel in one of the best locations in Madrid to see the museums. It is a great price to value location as well, particularly for Madrid. My family and I stayed here for 2 nights and have absolutely no complaints. I'm never hung up on service related issues but I woul dbe remiss not to mention the wonderful staff at the hotel. They coul dnot have been more accomodating and helpful. We had no issues with noise and the hotel is within fairly easy waking distance to Atocha train station (10 minutes) and the express bus to the airport. The bus saved used a fortune getting to the airport and was really easy to find and use, evenwith all of our luggage.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank StudioCityMark
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

Nice, friendly staff. Room was very clean and comfortable. Just across the street from Museo Del Prado which was one of our main destinations.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Threeeee
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

We were very impressed with this hotel, especially given its reasonable price. It is indeed located right across the street from the Prado and right near all of other major musuems. The rooms are reasonable size, have a large safe for laptops, a modern bathroom, large windows/balcony, excellent lighting. The best part was the fantastic buffet breakfast, included for free in the senior package.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple