“Liked the bathroom”

Ayre Gran Hotel Colon
Ranked #144 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I was on a tour which stayed at this hotel. The hotel was not in the central area and there were few restaurants nearby. The elevators were inadequate, there were four and they could each hold six people if they were packed like sardines. They were also slow arriving.
When I stayed at the hotel at the beginning of my trip there were three coach parties, about 150 people and the hotel could not cope with so many people for the buffet breakfast. It was hard to find a seat for breakfast, there wasn't much choice, the hot food went quickly and it wasn't replenished promptly.
The hotel room was adequate but I liked the bathroom which had a heated towel rail.
The group stayed at this hotel on the last night of the tour and the buffet breakfast was served in a larger restaurant with more choice and the hot food was replenished more quickly.
It was almost impossible to use the WiFi.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Ayre Hoteles A, Social Media Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Sandra,

First of all thank you for your comment about us.
We take note about your information and we are going to improve these things that you mentioned.
Thank you for hep us with your feedback,

Social Media Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in November. Overall i was satisfied with the hotel, staff are friendly and the rooms are to a good standard. The hotel is not very central but the transport links are good so this is not really a problem.
we had breakfast every morning in the mallorca cafe just over the road which i found to be good value for money and my friends liked it as they ae Mallorcans and found this quite amusing.
i had a problem with my safe the first morning but the dutch girl on reception was very helpful and the technician very professional. top marks to these two staff.
thankyou and we will use you again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Ayre Hoteles A, Social Media Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. We are delighted that your experience was a success.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here on a local recommendation and I found the hotel to be ok for the price. The room was clean, but on the small size and unfortunately the bed was very uncomfortable. The service was good and the breakfast was adequate. The hotel location is fine if you have business in the hotel area but if you're a tourist you're better off finding a hotel in the central Madrid area. You can walk to the Prado Museum in about 40 minutes and the rest of central Madrid will take another half hour or more. A Metro station is near the hotel but you have to change trains to get into the central area and it can be very time consuming. A taxi will cost 10 to 15 Euros to get to the Royal Place or Plaza Mayor. There is not many restaurants in the hotel area which can be a problem but there is a small grocery store out the back door of the hotel which was very convenient. I would have giving this hotel a higher rating but for the poor location for tourists and the uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael D
Ayre Hoteles A, Social Media Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Michael,

Many thanks for your comment and for choosing us during your stay in Madrid.

We will make sure that we are improving this aspect you mentioned.

Thank you for help us with your feedback,

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights, we really enjoyed our stay. It was our first time in Madrid and would love to go back.

- hotel staff was friendly and nice
- rooms were clean and modern
- free wi-fi
- fridge in room to keep some fresh water and light snacks
- hotel restaurant was very nice and the service was great
- location was perfect, you could walk to the city center via the Retiro park or take the subway via the station Sanz de Baranda (2 mins from the hotel)
- felt at ease with the safe in the room

Really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MMari_22

Dear guest,

It is our pleasure to know you had a lovely stay at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon.
Thank you very much for your kind comments about us, and we hope to see you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The staff were so friendly and accommodating, the hotel was spotlessly clean and the rooms were very quiet. My only criticism is that it is not as central as I would gave liked but they can't do anything about that! It is walking distance to the Prado and other museums; you could walk to the centre if Madrid but easier to take a bus (or taxi like we did).
Great introduction to Spain.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ayre Gran Hotel Colon (from October 10/8 - 10/11). Madrid was the last leg of our trip. We had just visited Paris, Florence, and Rome. We arrived at the Ayre Gran Hotel Colon at around 5:30 p.m. The minute we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly young lady at the front desk. She took care of all the details of our reservation very quickly and answered all our questions regarding restaurants and places of interest. We proceeded to take the elevator (there were four elevators at this hotel which was something we were not used to seeing while our visit to the other cities in Europe). The hotel is clean, modern, with beautiful pieces of art. The minute we walked into our room, we were extremely pleased. The room was clean, big, with a terrific bathroom. The beds were extremely comfortable. The small fridge in the room had four bottles of complimentary water. The breakfast buffet in the morning was terrific. It had fried eggs, whole grain breads, fruits, small chocolate croissants, all sorts of colds cuts including ham, chorizo, cheeses, juices, coffee, yogurt. One evening as we retired back to our room, I noticed that the strew from my reader glasses had fallen. I had only packed the one set of readers. The following morning as we were leaving the hotel, we asked to see if they had the small screwdriver to fix my glasses. The young lady at the front desk told us she didn't have one, however, that she would send the technician that evening upon our return. Sure enough, that evening after we came back from visiting the beautiful Madrid, (we enjoyed tremendously eating at the Mercado San Miguel and having the awesome desserts of the Mayorquina right by Puerta del Sol) the technician went up to our room. It took him several tries and I was so embarrassed that I told him, to please stop that he had already impressed me by trying to fix them so many times and that since the screw was so small that I fully understood. However, he insisted and told me that he was going to try one last time. On that last try, he fixed my reading glasses!!! I was extremely pleased and happy to see that due to this young man's perseverance, I was able to read the maps, and brochures I had brought back to the hotel that night. The hotel is centrally located in a great residential neighborhood. There are two exists from the metro stop Sainz de Baranda. The metro in Madrid is extremely easy and the trains are fast and very clean. We truly enjoyed our visit to Madrid and especially our stay at the Ayre Gran Hotel Colon.

Room Tip: We stayed int the "American" building and the rooms were extremely nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaiteOssorio
Ayre Hoteles A, Social Media Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Maite Ossorio,

First of all, thank you very much for your kind comments about us. We are delighted that your experience at Ayre Gran Hotel Colón was a success.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

in Madrid for the start of a 10day tour. the hotel felt safe and was reasonably comfortable. the beds are really low to my way of thinking and the air conditioning controls must have been put on the wall to keep me entertained. it did not seem to matter what temp was selected. tiny elevators, ok breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Larry D
Ayre Hoteles A, Social Media Manager at Ayre Gran Hotel Colon, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear customer,

Many thanks for your comment and for choosing our hotel during your stay in Madrid.

We will make sure that we are improving the aspects you mentioned.

Thanks for help us!