“better than we expected”

Hotel Exe El Coloso
Ranked #366 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed May 11, 2012

A nice and very very convenient hotel. Location is tops, almost everything within walking distance, side quiet street a few metres from Gran Via - next to a police station , absolutely safe day and night. Our room was in the rear facing a wall falling apart, but room was spacious, clean, recently renovated and quiet. Flat wide screen 32" tv and mini bar. Breakfast was very generous at a cost of 8 euros (and not 15 as mentioned by reviewers) which was good value for money. Corridors look tired and need repairs. Excellent service at the reception by Ms Sara who went to great lengths to help us, though some others are slow and speak very little english.
Negative? yes, the first 24 hours internet (free) was awful and non existing. Repaired next day. Phone was dead and repaired upon our request. Paper thin walls and noisy housemaids. Worst of all , despite many requests this hotel did not operate ANY AIRCONDITIONING though Madrid was boiling hot at over 30C. Some Israelis advised reception they would move elsewhere and were promised air conditioning as of 11/5/2012 !!!
In general this is a very good hotel, close to everything and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: make sure air conditioning will be working. Rooms at the rear are very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed here with our baby daughter for 7 nights. Overall the hotel is OK. Location excellent although street itself not particularly nice. Definitely not 4 stars - more like 3 stars. The breakfast was very good (orange juice amazing!). The rooms have been to a good standard but mainly no longer are - floors are worn out, furniture need replacing etc. Some rooms are in significantly better condition (and are bigger) than others.

However - they key to a good stay at the hotel is to avoid the street! Most rooms are facing the street which gets very noisy at night partly due to the police station next door. While the noise is manageable with ear plugs and closing the shutters at night, you will be at the mercy of the A/C. Should you need to sleep with the window open, managing any sleep will be a great achievement. If you manage to get a better room facing the inner court, you will get good value for money - otherwise you will run the risk of a big disappointment.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street at all costs!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KermitTheTraveller
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I arrived here late one night after a long trip from the US. The hotel is easily accessed by the metro, the front desk staff is very helpful, and the rooms are better than expected. This is a hotel I will recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ericg68
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in Madrid, primarily due to it's convenient location and unbeatable price. I could not have asked for a better location for the price. For under $100 a night, you do not get much better in a city like Madrid. Located just a minute walk from Santo Domingo, and a 10minute walk from Puerta Sol and the Royal Palace, you are never far from the sights. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the street may not look safe at first glance but there is a police station 2 buildings away from the hotel. I felt safe even at night.

The property smells like air freshener the moment you walk in and the smell is stronger in the lobby area. The wifi is free in the rooms and the signal is great but the connection speed is slow. We got by and honestly you just need enough to look up a few restaurants here and there for your stay anyway. We had plenty of space in our inner-facing room on the 5th floor and the rooms were clean. I just had two complaints about the rooms: the bedding, and the heat. The bed is hard but what makes it worse is the coarseness of the sheets. I got rashes on my elbows from lying on the bed and watching TV. The room also has no heat control which makes it a bit unbearable on the hotter afternoons. We kept the windows open the whole time but it still felt uncomfortably hot at times.

The hotel is pleasant and the staff are helpful but I definitely would not say it is a 4-star hotel, even in Europe. If you value location and price, this hotel is good for you, but if you want a little bit more comfort, I would look around some more as the rooms don't provide a great night's sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The location is great, right in the city center.
The service was very good, helpful and kind.
Nice breakfast.
Big rooms.
Very good for business travelers, couples on a romantic vacation may want to look for a better designed hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank FreshBiz-25
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed here in september 2011.Quite nice hotel. When you walk inside the hotel, it was very inviting. When we checked in, the man from the reception gave us immediately a map and showed us where we were. He saw that we came from Belgium and tried to explain everything in French, altough we're from Flanders and our motherlanguage is Dutch (we do have a good knowledge of Frech). But i found it very nice of him!!!! On our way upstairs we noticed that there were some renovations. Not that inviting, but if you want to improve your hotel, why not! The maid even showed the way. The room was huge, open and CLEAN! I added some photos from our room. The bathroom was small, i have to say. Breakfast was great. Everything was there, even churros. Jammie! The location of the hotel was also great! You should try it!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I needed a hotel for a two night solo stay in Madrid as I was attending a concert on Saturday night. I knew from previously visiting lovely Madrid that a central location is very important for a hotel, because distances can be huge there. It is a vast and diverse city. The metro is very clean, cheap and efficient but who wants to spend half of each day travelling ?

I booked a lastminute.com "Top secret Hotel" listed as near the Plaza de Espana for a very attractive price thinking i could bear almost anything for two nights as long as it was central.

When the name and location were revealed I was very pleased, the Hotel Coloso has one of the best downtown locations for exploring by foot in all Madrid.

Easy to find and reach, a short walk from either Plaza De Espana or Santo Domingo metro stations the Hotel Coloso looks modern and attractive on first view, its polished granite facings standing out against the old brownstones.

Reception is not opulent but is comfortable and welcoming. The night receptionist who greeted my late arrival was charm itself, assigning me room 616 in the attic. I also took advantage of the €10 breakfast offer.

Access to the roofspace rooms is quaint, but no hassle with my small travel case. It was a converted attic room, with a velux window.overlooking Madrileno rooftops. Not a panoramic view, but a very interesting one !

The room was somewhat tired in decoration , but well appointed with a splendid bathroom, modern TV and huge queen sized bed. The aircon and heater worked well, but i did not need them during my stay. The room was perfectly warm enough against the winter hill without extra heat.

The bed was firm and comfortable, just as I liked it, but the mattress was sagging somewhat.

The room faced the street, and being next to a police station meant there was street noise and sirens, but as for me I EXPECT such when I visit an exciting metropolis like Madrid. The double glazed velux window kept 99% of such sound out anyway.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful and of good quality. The cafe con leche from the machines there was heavenly, and fresh juices and breads abounded. Staff again were very efficient and friendly.

The day staff helped me with maps and information, again highly commended.

Downsides ? No bar or restaurant was a pity, but these are easily found in this quarter of Madrid.

Also looking back I think that the attic rooms of the sixth floor are reserved for "internet bargain" travellers, as I caught a glimpse of a suite on the 5th floor when it was being serviced and it was a class above in appointments and opulence than mine, but I have no complaints. A lick of paint in the attic rooms is all that is required.

All in all the Hotel Coloso added hugely to my weekend in Madrid, and for the price I paid ( €50 per day) for a comfortable and safe city-centre hotel i would recommend it strongly for independent travellers.

Room Tip: If city centre traffic sounds bother you, stay up north a little, towards the Plaza Del Toros. Madr...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo