All reviews red level royal palace dos cielos ruinart champagne clarins toiletries thai room classic room beautiful hotel opera house rooftop pool old palace concierge desk the entire staff luxury hotel small pool junior suite turn down service
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at the hotel four four nights in May of 2019. From the moment I arrived, I knew this hotel had the philosophy of hospitality I look for: A tremendously friendly and knowledgeable staff, with just the right mix of anticipation without being intruding. A special shout out for the concierge, whose name I did not catch, but who twice gave me interesting walking itineraries and who also identified perfect spots to buy gifts for home. There is a special ability to listen and interpret that goes into doing this job well, and the concierge at the Gran Melia Palacio had this in spades. The property, somewhat plain from the street, is stunningly beautiful on the inside. I ate in all of the dining rooms and restaurants, sat in the meeting rooms, and had drinks in the lobby, and every setting leaves you with wish that life could always be like this. I can't judge on the value for price of those meals, since I didn't pay for them, but the quality was very, very high. I'm still dreaming of a dessert I had on the last day at Restaurant Dos Cielos, the Michelin starred place in the hotel. The breakfasts, which were included in my rate, were among the best hotel breakfasts I've had: a tremendous set of buffet options as well as eggs and other things cooked to spec. Pristine fruit. Four types of juice concoctions. I will miss it! On the room: I booked at the very last minute and had I believe the smallest room class. The room was small and looked in on an interior courtyard of sorts. The bathrooms were modern and the various soaps and shampoos and so forth were Clarins and very nice.It had the extra level of offering toothbrush and tootpaste and cotton swabs and shoe shine and so forth. My only complaints 1) there was no full-length mirror anywhere in the room. 2) the minibar prices seem high even for mini bar prices. Personally, I found the room a bit small for my liking, though I was very happy there. Just to say that if you have the funds, I'd say it's worth going up to a room above the standard room.
In closing, this is a great place. Expensive, but worth every penny. You will be very happy there.

Room tip: Best to avoid standard room.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
SandraHColoma, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Palacio de Los Duques - The Leading Hotels of the World, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Tim902106703,

Greetings from Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques!

First of all, thank you for your consideration sharing with us your sincere and constructive feedback following your recent stay in Gran Melia Palacio de los Duques and share your opinion in TripAdvisor.

We do appreciate the nice words regarding the service received from the moment you arrived until you left and for the features of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our "little palace" on your next visit to Madrid. For the entire team will be a great pleasure to host you again amongst us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

One of the few places that actually looks better in real life than it does in the pictures. Brilliant location, walking distance to all the main sights and areas. Service is great- greeted with a glass of cava at reception on check in, and overall very attentive staff. The rooftop pool and jacuzzi is sublime , especially if you’re visiting Madrid in the summer months. Incredible views, lovely pool And jacuzzi and nice little bar on the roof too. Very beautiful hotel with service and facilities to match, makes this hotel the best pick for a trip to Madrid. Not cheap, in room, drinks or breakfast prices, but very much worth it- divine!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Sophie S,

Greetings from the Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques!

We are more than glad to know you have enjoyed a wonderful experience and for publishing such inspiring and motivating words on TripAdvisor.

The whole team is proud of your dedicated words regarding their effort in everyday work to make your experience unforgettable and we are delighted about meeting your expectations.

We hope you give us again the opportunity to provide you the best cares soon again at your home in Madrid.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Gran Melia Palacio de Los Duques is an outstanding hotel.

We received excellent service from everyone in the hotel and the location is perfect for everything you want to visit whilst in Madrid.

It’s walking distance to most places such as the Royal Palace, Plaza Mayor, Mercado San Miguel, La Latina neighbourhood and a short journey to Santiago Bernabeu and Buen Retiro Park.

On arrival we received a free upgrade and we had the best trip.

Thank you to everyone at the hotel.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Mbreaton,

Greetings from Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques!

Thank you so much for your nice feedback regarding our recently renovated property and share your comments in TripAdvisor.

All the staff works daily to make your experience unforgettable and we are delighted about meeting your expectations.

as you mentioned, our hotel is perfectly located in the center of the city, walking distance to most of the touristic sites, bars and restaurants. It is an ideal place to combine exploring Madrid and enjoying your free time in our luxurious and cozy hotel ambience.

We hope to welcome you back again with us during your next stay in Madrid.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2019

This hotel was so great I checked in twice on my trip around Spain.
The service is superb from the check -in by Veronique at the Red Level desk to Beatrix for her kindness, guidance and patience with me.

I loved my time and not only were they so lovely to me and wanted me to have the finest visit in Madrid their highly capable team who goes above and beyond to serve their clientele from around the world.
They engage with you immediately and also both Veronique and Beatrix were so helpful to me as I had a few bumps in the road so to speak during my visit to Spain and they helped me to relax and enjoy my special time there.
Not only are they wonderful professional people they have the most exquisite uniforms that I have seen and of course they wear them well so gorgeous and handsome indeed..
I love the City Desk they do a great job as well as everyone I had the pleasure of meeting.
Plus, I highly recommend the Thai Experience Spa it is over the top amazing.

Room tip: I love the rooms overlooking the garden and the city view is also fabulous no noise at all.
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
SandraHColoma, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Los Duques - The Leading Hotels of the World, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Magictravelnow,

Greetings from the Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques!

Thank you for having chosen our Hotel during your trip to Madrid as well as for sharing a beautiful review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience among us.

We always pay attention to details and we wish that our clients feel just like at home, pampered in every moment. It is the greatest reward to our daily work, to read that you have enjoyed every beat of your stay.

We would like t o specially thank you for the beautiful words you dedicated to Veronica and Beatriz who will be delighted to hear from you.

We hope to welcome you back with us during your next stay in Madrid and make your next stay even better than the previous ones.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

Wonderfully embedded in the heart of Madrid the hotel offers excellent service, very tasteful and stylish interior design and an amazing restaurant.
The courtyard and the rooftop pool and bar area are stunning. The rooms very beautiful and cozy only topped by the very friendly and competent staff. A place you don’t want to leave.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Welitschka,

Greetings from the hotel Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques!

I would like to start by thanking you greatly for your lovely review in TripAdvisor and charming words regarding our establishment and our staff.
Hope to see you soon back in our beautiful city. We will be waiting for your arrival and are looking forward to live with you another wonderful experience.

With our best wishes,