“Lovely rooms, good location”

AC Hotel Carlton Madrid
Ranked #156 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely rooms, good location”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The reviews of this hotel are relatively spot on. The reception staff are not great, they're very slow, slightly lacking in manners etc but overall I spent around 15 minutes checking in/checking out so didn't experience any major issues there. The building is nice, with a large lounge area where guests can use WI-FI, i didn't use this though. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bathroom was lovely, although the bright light above the mirror gets very hot and makes the bathroom slightly uncomfortable. Beds were comfy. We were staying in an inward room so cannot complain about outside noise. I agree that the cleaning staff are very loud though, I think the walls are too thin which is not really something the hotel can change. One morning we were woken around 5am by the cleaning staff and constant door slamming but it only lasted around 30 minutes (as they moved on to other rooms).

I would advise staying here for a short, cheap stay. For the price of the room you really cannot complain for what you receive. Neat, clean, tidy, well decorated room with all amenities. Gym facilities are lovely too if required. We didn't eat any food here, it was ridiculously priced.

Room Tip: Inward facing room, other reviews say the road facing rooms are loud.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was amazing! Such an excellent location. Close to public transport, tourist bus, train station and museums such as prado. The staff were so lovely and friendly. Only downside was that it was about 17 euros to have wifi in your room so that was frustrating but great connection in the lobby. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kelley1981
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Amazing hotel with a lovely complimentary, mini bar, spectacular bathroom, and spacious rooms for Europe. The staff were kind and very helpful and it is located a block or two from the Reina Sofia museum. I loved everything about this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again! Book a room you won't regret it!

Room Tip: If you go after 3-4 to the Reina Sofia museum admission is free!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the AC Carlton for four nights ending 5/7. We were updated to a corner suite that was terrific. The hotel tends to be a little noisy because of the center courtyard design and the amount of wood.

The front desk manager Julio was fantastic. He was very helpful with several issues about the room and made great recommendations for dinner. His attitude and his winning smile were great to experience everyday. The wait staff was also helpful bit we did not eat at the hotel.

The hotel is two blocks from the train station and the Renia Sofia museum. Four blocks from the Prado and their Central Park. A great location.

Stayed May 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Madrid was the last leg in our 2 week European Odysee. It was also my favorite leg of the trip, hotel not withstanding. We booked this hotel, because our travel companion's mother is a Marriott employee. I love Marriott, but this hotel definitely did not meet my usual Marriott standards. Location is decent, but not great. Walk able to metro and Atocha train station, as well as prado, reina sofia museums. First issue we had was with temperature control. It was about 55 degrees Farenheit outside, but the lobby, and the rooms were very warm. Uncomfortably warm. We tried to change the temperature with the controls in the room. Did not work, and the the front desk could do nothing to solve it. To remedy the problem, we had to open the windows, which produced an incredible amount of traffic noise. While the rooms were spacious, and very clean, the water temperature fluctuated very often while showering. It would go from hot, to scalding, and from hot to freezing. Lobby is tiny and cramped, as well as tiny elevators. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicolas M
carlton01, Director General at AC Hotel Carlton Madrid, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Nicolas M,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, they will help us to improve.

We are very sorry for the negative impression you have from our hotel.

We apologise for the problem you had with the air-conditioning, it was an exceptional problem due to the hot weather temperatures improper for the month of April. Now it has been resolved.

Thank you for your comment about the shower, we will observe it. It must be a puntual problem, because we don't have any comment from other rooms.

Thank you for your comments again.

Best regards,
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hotel was in an excellent location, easy access to the subway, and main tourist attractions. Room was very clean and tidy, loads of space, with a large bathroom also.
Staff were very friendly and keen to offer advice when asked. Breakfast was a little over expensive for what we were willing to pay, and the key card did lock us out of our room once or twice. The view from our window wasn't brilliant either (we looked into a 'courtyard') but I guess you don't visit a city to look out of a hotel window!
Overall thoroughly recommended if you want a reasonably priced hotel, in a good location, with friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I spent one night at the AC Carlton Madrid. It was a very nice hotel. Comfortable rooms. Great location. And most importantly an amazing staff. I inadvertently walked off left an item in the room safe and didn't realize it until I was getting ready to depart Madrid. At first I couldn't remember where I left it when suddenly I remembered having put it in the safe in my room at the Carlton. The problem was that I had opened the safe and left it that way upon leaving the room to check out, but forgot to take the item with me. I knew it had to be there.
When I returned to the hotel, they had retrieved the item from the locker and held it for me.
I would like to commend their staff for their honesty and trustworthiness. When I offered to tip them for their services, the man at the front desk politely declined and said that doing such a thing was simply part of the business they do. I was very impressed with him, and my thanks go out to the housekeeping crew and their honesty. I stayed at the hotel on the evening of March 30, 2013, checking out on March 31. Thank you, AC Carlton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo