“Not one of my favorites”
Review of Hotel Agumar

Hotel Agumar
Ranked #244 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Olathe, Kansas
“Not one of my favorites”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here for the last night of our Spanish Fiesta Globus tour. This hotel is in need of a good renovation. The rooms were very dated. The bath was nice and they did provide nice bath amenities. The bed was comfortable and we did get a good nights sleep. The hotel charges for wifi and this was a big downer as we needed to check in with the airlines for our return flight and it was very hard to do this on the computer in the lobby.

We had our final dinner here and the food was just okay. Breakfast the next morning was good so I have to say it was not all a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Location: convenient with the metro an easy 5minute stroll, bus stop right in front of the hotel and walking distance to the famous museum triangle and parks.

Rooms: clean and spacious, comfortable beds although views of a busy road only. Decor was somewhat dated.

Service: staff are friendly and helpful. Took time to help me get to the stadium to purchase tickets for the Real Madrid vs Granada game. No.14 bus takes you right to the stadium for under 2 euros.

Breakfast: disappointing in view of the staff not being able to keep up with the large groups that frequent this hotel. Had to wait ages for fried eggs, scrambled eggs had more milk than eggs and coffee was cold. Otherwise fair variety of pastries.

Overall value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was the ninth hotel we stayed in on our tour through Spain while we were on the Globus tour Spanish Fiesta. We started the tour 2 weeks prior in Madrid but stayed at a different hotel- The Atocha. The Atocha was a superior hotel. The Agumar is only a 2 star hotel. My husband and myself were worried about this hotel since he wrote the hotel 5 times before he received a response. He wrote 4 times in March and he tried again in June. He was writing to ask the hotel the best way to get to the airport and to request a non- smoking quiet room with a queen sized bed if possible since this was an anniversary trip for us. In June they finally responded about the transportation, but made no mention of his other requests.

We arrived at the hotel about 7PM on Sat. Aug. 4. We had to hurry to get dressed since our farewell dinner was at the hotel at 7:30 PM. When I opened our door to our room I immediately smelled a strong odor- something had been sprayed into the room to cover up the odor in the room. I wondered what odor they were trying to hide when I noticed an ash tray in the room. This was a smoking room! I got dressed for dinner and when I opened the door into the hallway I could smell cigarette smoke in the hallway. They had put the entire Globus group on a smoking floor!I couldn't believe it! We opened the terrace door and put on the a/c to try to get the smell out of our room. I would have asked for a different room, but we had no time to change rooms. We had the farewell dinner and by the time we got back to our room it was 9:30. We had to get up at 5:30 to get to the airport.

7:30 was our farewell dinner. Another Globus group I think it was the Iberian vacation was having their welcome dinner at the same time. It was a dinner buffet. The food was awful. It was fish which had bones in it, garlic chicken, pasta with fish sauce on it (I am allergic to fish). There were also cold meats, cheeses and breads. We also had a pitcher of sangria for 6 people. I kept comparing this hotel to the Atocha which we had at the beginning of this tour- There was absolutely no comparison.

Re: the room- My husband had requested a queen or at least 2 double beds since it was our anniversary trip. Instead we had 2 tiny single beds with a telephone in between so you could not put the beds together.The beds were very plain looking without bed spreads.

Wifi was 6 euro for 1 hour. We paid the fee so we could print our boarding passes. We asked the person at the desk to print our passes for us, but he was not helpful. We did find one helpful person- there was 1 nice gentleman who helped us to use the computer and printer.

Pros at this hotel-
1) Location - walking distance to Atocha station and the metrobus to get to the airport.
2) Take away breakfast was Ok. They packed us a bag breakfast to take to the airport which consisted of juice, water,cake, and a ham and cheese sandwich which was OK
3) nice sized soap in an individual box.

Cons at this hotel
1) They put everyone on our tour on a smoking floor without asking
2) Dinner buffet- poor
3) Rooms had only 2 single beds

Would I recommend this hotel?- I am sorry to say no. I have rated many hotels on Trip Advisor and this is the first hotel I have given a poor rating to and would not recommend- especially since my husband wrote 5 e-mails to the hotel asking for directions and specifically requesting a non smoking room with a queen or at least a double bed for the end of our anniversary trip. I am sorry that Globus did not use the same hotel as our welcome dinner the Atocha. Many others on our tour felt the same way as we did.

If you are on a Globus tour and this is one of your hotels I would 1) Insist on a non smoking room before you take the key unless you are a smoker. 2) Ask about the type of bed they are going to give you.

Room Tip: Insist on a non smoking room before you take the key unless you are a smoker.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank snoopy1128

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here with a tour group. Since there were more than one group, it was crowded with a waiting line during breakfast.

Agumar is within walking distance to the big 3 museums (Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza and Reina Sofia) in Madrid, so as to Paque del Retiro. However, it is not centrally located. It is close to Atocha Station (5 min) and Old Madrid is a short taxi ride (< 7 EUR) away.

There is a disco right at the premise. Music played late and kept many people up at night. So if you are staying here, ask for the higher floor. There is a grocery store right across the street. Internet costs 3 EUR/if you use their PC (with a printer) on the lobby. Else, it is 6 EUR/day.

Rooms and bathroom are good size, A/C works. Personally, I will rather stay closer to Old Madrid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Family_from_NJ
Brussels
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived quite late in the evening and we have chosen this hotel especially for its location.
Actually, we were going the following day to Salamanca with a bus from Estacion Sur which is about 1,5 km. from the hotel. Not really near but also feasible on foot with a small trolley.
The area near the hotel doesn't offer anything, apart a small shop where you can buy water, biscuits, etc. without spending a lot more buying these things at the hotel.
The check in and the check out have been very efficient and without problems and the staff was very friendly.
Both the hall and the room were very elegant and there were a lot of services available.
We haven't used these services because of our limited time at the hotel.
Probably the location is not the best for visiting Madrid but there is a metro station not far away.
Finally, a big advantage is the price really competitive.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosario_it
NC
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am very disappointed with hotels.com and Hotel Agumar after my stay on 7/31/2012. The rooms and location were fine but there was an accidental double booking that I was not aware of (one went to an incorrect email) and on looking at my credit card transactions after the stay - it turns out that they double-charged me. The staff should have been aware that there was a double booking and should have told me on check in. Feels like the hotel management is not honest and both hotels.com and the Agumar hotel management are refusing to refund the additional charges ($146). I feel convinced I have been cheated and hence the bad rating. Will also try other means to get my refund and report this to BBB. Will appreciate if anyone with ideas how I can pursue this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank v9n
heraklion
Reviewed July 18, 2012

ok first of all the employes couldnt speak english.You spoke to them in english and they are answering in spanish.the room was quite good the breakfats OK.another problem was the internet connection.First hotel i have seen that doesnt have free internet ni the lobby.it costed 6 euros PER DAY.the soundproofing was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E.T.the elevators were really really really slowwww.thats it not so worth going

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family