“Great location, good facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Atlantico

Hotel Atlantico
Ranked #19 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Wokingham, England, United Kingdom
“Great location, good facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was there in September 2012. I needed a single room and had apprehensions about what sort of a "box" it might be. Turned out that my fears were unfounded. The room was fine, but certainly an internal room (no windows).
The location of the hotel is superb; very central and easy to walk to the museums, although I found later that the sightseeing buses were a good bet.
I only had breakfast in the hotel; it was a good buffet-style, and the service was good.
The reception was particularly good. They got to know me, and whilst their English was no doubt better than my Spanish, they were happy to humour me and speak Spanish with me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Dave S
HotelAtlanticoMadrid, Assistant Director at Hotel Atlantico, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Dave S.

Thank you for your patronage, feedback and beautiful review.

It is glad to know that your internal room with a window to a patio was quiet and fine, you have been satisfied about the location to visit the city and the reception staff was helpful and kind.

We are very happy to have created a positive memory and experience for your Madrid trip.

Hope to see you again soon.

Yours in Service
Assistant Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Aldershot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location of the hotel was very good; very central and within walking distance of the main sights. This was a big plus. There was also a Metro station just down the road, handy for when we arrived and departed.

The staff were friendly and most spoke a good amount of English. One of the staff members showed us up to our room and also gave us a quick "tour" of the room and explained the mini bar. The room was very nice - clean, comfortable, decorated well, good size and decent en suite. There was a window, although no real view as it just looked out to other rooms' windows and some potted plants. It wasn't really an issue though and the hotel had an observatory on the top floor with a 360 degree view of Madrid (amazing!). Also on the top floor was a terrace and a really good living room area where we enjoyed some champagne (which was good and inexpensive). The bar staff spoke less English than the reception desk staff, but still enough to manage.

We cannot comment on the food provided by the hotel, as we paid for the room only. They only cater a buffet breakfast anyway (no option for dinner) and there were so many options for food within walking distance of the hotel.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay here and would recommend it to anyone wishing to explore Madrid.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelAtlanticoMadrid, Assistant Director at Hotel Atlantico, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Dave S.

Thank you very much for your kind mention of our hotel and your patronage. It is glad to hear you liked your individual room during your stay last September.

Our staff strives to create a service experience for our guest that is lasting.

We appreciate all of your comments and hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours in Service,
Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

A beautiful hotel that is immaculate throughout.. the cleaners never stop! All staff were incredibly helpful and polite. Room was cleaned to a very high standard every day. Rooms were so quiet you wouldn't believe you were in a city! Location is perfect if you want to see Madrid. Close to Metro which is very easy to use to see the city. Also, the Madrid Tourist bus stops very close to the hotel. Lots of variety for breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay. Well done staff of Hotel Atlantico!

Dear STaylor123456 Uk

Your compliments of the Hotel Atlántico are greatly appreciated!!!

We work diligently to offer the best service by our staff and a great stay with reference to the cleaning, quiet and comfort of the room for each guest. It is nice to know when this succeeded. I and my staff appreciate your kind words and recommendation

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking time to write a wonderful review. We look forward to your return.

Kind regards,
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Perfect location at Gran Via, very silent even with windows overlooking the street where Real Madrid fans celebrated league title all night. Didnt like the place for breakfast and also the roof top with "looklike antique" sculptures and furniture. I would prefer modern style.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vojta1
HotelAtlanticoMadrid, Assistant Director at Hotel Atlantico, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear vojta1.

First of all thank you very much for staying with us. I am pleased you find our location perfect and your room quite.

On the other hand I apologize for not exceeding your expectations regarding the decoration. Your are right: if you wanted a modern hotel, we are not the appropriate accommodation. As you can see in all the pictures of our websites, the hotel is situated in a building from the early 1900s and the hotel decor is in keeping with the building, and classic French style. On the other hand I hope you will have noticed that the hotel is equipped with the latest technology.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Yours sincerely,
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

If seeking a quiet weekend 'retreat', one probably wouldn't choose Gran Via in central Madrid in the first place, so noise has to be a given in this location.

We requested a 'quiet-ish' room upon arrival, so were switched to R501 with other rooms unseen. R501 was small with twin beds, very floral and at the back of the property without any view. We then requested to see our original room, R402, which was at the front of the property, looking out onto the main road. Double glazing and (electronic) shutters blocked most of the traffic noise, so on balance it seemed a better choice. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and obliging about the switch(es), all done with the minimum of fuss.

Main issue for us was that photos on the website did not depict accurately the type of room we should expect. Decor of R402 was again quite floral -- we had expected something more contemporary -- but size and facilities were good. I revisited the rooms photo gallery on Atlantico's website before submitting this review and neither room type we were allotted are shown, which seems somewhat disingenuous.

Three complaints: no complimentary drinking water in the room; the bed was too soft, springy and uncomfortable; noise from nearby (bath)rooms was very loud, meaning no lie-ins due to early risers next door/above.

I wouldn't not recommend Hotel Atlantico, though I would hesitate before returning myself, simply because the location is super noisy. An older building also tends to have poorer internal sound proofing (from neighbouring rooms), while I prefer a more contemporary style. The location is excellent for exploring Madrid on foot, though there are of course plenty of alternatives nearby to suit one's taste.

Room Tip: Check with hotel prior to booking that your room type is shown on the website, as ours did not match...
Dear AbsentParent.

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at the Hotel Atlantico. I am happy to know you liked the cleaning and the service provided during your stay.

If looking for a hotel for tranquility and with modern style, of course we are not the right hotel, so I understand you not recommend our hotel. We are located just in the city center, in one of the main streets in Madrid with more than 100 years and the hotel is situated in a building of 1920.

With reference to the decoration of the room, please note we have rooms with flowers, stripes, plaids, medallions, etc. and with different colors: beige, green, red or blue. Most of them are included in our website.

Regarding the free water in room, please note we have a minibar in all rooms with very reasonble rates. If we have not free water in room is because the tap water in Madrid is potable and of good quality.

Finally I apologize if the bed was not comfortable and I also apologize because the interior noise. Your feedback is a vital part of our business and it is through your constructive comments that we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

We would like to thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention and we do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again on some future occasion.

Faithfully yours,
Eva García-Assistant Director
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

A perfect location for your visit to Madrid. Everything is within walkindistance. We had a superior double room and it was just like the pictures! A corner room with 2 balconys. Yes there is some noise from Gran Via but when you close the doors to the balcony it is ok. When you want to stay in the middle you must accept some noise. Staff is very helpfull and breakfast is great - it was included in our room rate.

2 Thank CopenhagenGlobe
Dear ConpenhagenGlobe.

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at the Hotel Atlantico.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed our location directly in Gran Via street, only to a few minutes from the main sights of the city and the room just like the pictures included in the website. I am most pleased of all though that you enjoyed our service which is what we work hardest at.

I hope we get to see you again in the near future. Thank you again.

Best regards.
Warmest Regards,
Lexington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel’s best asset is its staff. People working at the front desk and in the upstairs lounge are very polite and nice and willing to help with anything- from changing the room, if you do not like it, to choosing a restaurant, a concert, or a play for the evening.
I've chosen this hotel because of its high rank on the TripAdvisor web site. However, my expectations were not met. My main complaint is the noise. Rooms are poorly soundproofed. You can hear people talking, coughing, sneezing in the neighboring rooms. In addition to this, every time when someone leaves the room or comes back the door’s lock makes a loud noise, therefore, you hear people coming and going all the time. I think that 4 stars hotel should have much better locks and rooms should be much better soundproofed. Another thing, which was a little bit strange, is that all light switches had a little red light embedded in them, so all night you had little red lights all over the room. Maybe it is just me, but I like my room to be dark at night and these lights were disturbing my sleep. Otherwise, hotel is very well located, walking distance from all main attractions. Rooms are very clean and cute, bathrooms are also clean and well-appointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lbelogar
Dear Ibelogar.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed the room, bathroom equipment and cleaning.

Most of all though I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by our staff I always feel is the most important and lasting memory of a hotel. I guess not this time. I apologize for not exceeding your expectations regarding the noise. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

Eva Garcia