“Madrid's Fawlty Towers” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Hotel Madrid
Ranked #388 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
United Kingdom
“Madrid's Fawlty Towers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2006

The hotel is in a great location, right in the centre of Sol and less than a minute from the tube.

I'm not a picky customer, but the hotel was not of 3 * standard at all; you may be better off in a hostel around the same area for a better price.

The room was adequate, but rather small. The bathroom wasn't too pleasant - toilet seat had broken off and was just placed on top. The water was lukewarm and seemed to be yellowish. There was also no soap in the bathroom. When I asked for some at the foyer, I was told there was no soap and given a few sachets of shower gel.

The staff are a bit of a mixed bunch. If you have the misfortune to be met by the older lady with spectacles be prepared to be totally ignored. The two younger girls on the desk in the evening are great - polite, friendly and very helpful.

If you wanted a hot drink you could ask at reception and if you're lucky they will open up the restaurant to give you access to the coffee machine - they will charge 1 euro for a cup of tea/cofffee.

Beware of the lift!! This is an extremely scary contraption. You can squeeze 2 of you in (very intimitely) and then stand back while trying to press the button. The doors didn't shut properly, and if you happen to stand near the edge you could probably get bits of yourself sliced off.

It did remind me a little of staying in a real life 'Fawlty Towers' - the experience was not necessarily negative, but you really would expect better. If it weren't for the staff and lack of amenities this hotel could be very nice.

The only real advantage of this hotel is its location. There are a number of hostels around the area, which I think I will look into if I go back to Madrid again.

Whilst it was relatively cheap, I am sure you could still get more for your money in a nice hostel. This was a bit of a let-down.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — Lack of facilities, bad customer service
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to a hostel
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Chandler's Ford England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2006

Having read previous reviews I was a bit sceptical about staying here. I would say all my fears were unfounded. It is a budget hotel slap bang in the city centre, ideal for everything, Sure it can be noisy at night. but which capital city isn't. I would stay there again.

Stayed November 2006
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2006

We were staying for 5 nights so the very sizeable triple (with another bed) was great. Spotless roomy bathroom and plentiful breakfasts and friendly staff. The location wa superb and the noise was non-existent in our room. Would go there again gladly. MC

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — no quibbles
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank markdevlin
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

Just returned from a 4 day trip to Madrid. Searched around for a convenient hotel which we could afford on a tight budget. Came across Hotel Madrid and was very satisfied with the result. Yes the hotel can be a bit noisy at night, yes the rooms are not to the high standard you'd expect in a 5* hotel. But this isn't a 5* hotel! I think this is what some of the previous reviews seem to forget! For the price I paid, I got exactly what I wanted - a fantastically located lodgings right in the heart of the capital. The staff were friendly, the rooms were clean, nice bathroom. I didn't have breakfast, so I can't comment on that. All in all, perfect for those travelling on the cheap. Book directly with the hotel (there's a website) and you'll get a cheaper rate than through an agency.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IantheWelsh
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2006

The hotel location was great. The staff was nice and helpful, especially in the restaurant. HOWEVER....you have to leave your key at the front desk when you go out; leaving the Do Not Disturb sign on the door means nothing. We left it on our door everytime we left the room and they still entered. We asked them not to enter, but they did anyway. Nothing was stolen, etc., but our privacy was not respected. The rooms were sufficient but the carpets were stained. If you are not into luxury, do not care if people come in your room when you ask them not to, then this hotel would be a good place to stay simply due to the location.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank Debbi B

Travelers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2005

I ahve stayed here a few times. My stays are usually very good and I have always had a room with an airconditioner. i was not aware that any non-airconditioned rooms exist. One time upon arrival they told us our room's AC was broken but they transfered us to their sister hotel about a mile away. Yes, some of the rooms can be noisy but you can request one not facing Calle Carretas. I usually book the web only rate for around 60-80 euros and feel that this is a very good deal due to the close proximity fo the metro at Sol and the many great bars and restaurants in the area behind the hotel around plaza Santa Ana and Calle Huertas.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank bryan77
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

Although we enjoyed our stay in Madrid, this accomodation was disappointing. My sister & partners room was nice, but freezing cold and my room was dull, small & had a tiny window with an unpleasant view. We spent as little time as possible here. To add to it i was bitten about 15times which i can only imagine was from the bed. We did complain but no action was taken. You only get what you pay for!

• Stayed November 2004