“The worst experience of my trip”

Metro Bistro - Templo de Debod
Ranked #31 of 10,522 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Arguelles
Austin, Texas
“The worst experience of my trip”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Based on the fabulous reviews I made a reservation to ensure we'd get to experience this restaurant. It is not easy to find, but we were determined. We arrived at 7:45 for our 8pm reservation. I gave my name and after a look at the list the woman asked "is your name Camille?" or something totally unlike my name. I said no and repeated my name. She said "you have no reservation". I said (in Spanish) that i had received a confirmation email. She did not recheck the list, but again said i had no reservation . So I repeated --this time in English--that I had received an email confirming the reservation. Again, she did not recheck the list, but asked when I had made it. I said "today" and she said. "impossible" and walked away. It was humiliating. I just stood there, dismissed in the rudest way possible.
I had not brought my Ipad with me, bc I'd never needed to prove that I had a reservation before. Of course, I rechecked when I got back and and there was the confirmation email for that night at 8pm.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank pat j

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Still dwelling on the awesome food”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Thanks to Trip advisor we decided to try out this place. We had such a great meal there that we wanted to go back to try the other dishes such as sweet & sour pork that others are raving about in other reviews.. saw others having it and smell damn good too.

It's a plesant and cosy restaurant for a quiet romantic dinner although there is a bar counter. We had tartar beef with Foie Gras it just melted in the mouth! Black rice with squid is good too but not as special. Very worth it with the price of 60euros with a choc dessert and wine. Something different from normal Italian or Spanish food we had during the trip. Will strongly recommended this to my friends and anyone going there.

Sale, Victoria
“Wonderful restaurant”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My daughters found this one on Trip Advisor and what a find. A small family run restaurant about 20 minutes walk from our hotel in central Madrid. Our Spanish is negligible and the lady who greeted us was very patient and understanding in explaining the menu. The food was obviously prepared fresh and was very tasty and the waiter was keen to receive our feedback. The draught beer was cold and sensational. (not the norm in some European restaurants!) The others enjoyed their wine. The prices were also quite reasonable if you like good food you couldn't go past this lovely place in Madrid.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank JohnnyHSale_Victoria
Rome
“Somewhere between average and very good”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nothing to rave about but we had a nice meal and the restaurant is comfortable. Perhaps the over enthusiastic reviews need balancing. I would say "Good".

Visited October 2012
1 Thank carrom
Bern, Switzerland
“Tasty food in a fine atmosphere”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We did not manage to book this restaurant for dinner so we booked it for lunch on the day of our departure from Madrid, and boy was that a good send off!

We were a group 4, and usual in Madrid ordered all to share. The starters and the mains were quiet original from anything we tried so far with a hint of fusion between Spanish and middle eastern/Arabic cooking in many plates (such as Hummus). The staff are quiet helpful too. Be aware though, portions are quiet small (which is sort of the norm in most restaurants we tried). We paid for 3 starters and 2 mains (and a coffee) around 60 euros.

• Visited September 2012