“Good Location but not a Comfortable Stay”
Review of Hotel Moderno

Hotel Moderno
Ranked #84 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel was underwhelming. While the location is central to many sites and restaurants in Madrid, it is also quite loud in that area and the windows of the hotel are thin, so sleep can be hard to come by. The staff were not at all friendly or welcoming during our stay. The bed was hard and the room was very hot - adjusting the thermostat did not seem to make a difference. A lot of the basic niceties are missing - shampoo/conditioner are not provided, there is no coffee machine, and the towels are thin and nonabsorbent.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed late one night Nov '13 on way back home. Pros: Great location. My room and bathroom were clean. Bed was firm - not bad. The hotel has a nice lobby on first floor (typical of hotels in Madrid). I encountered 3 receptionists (all male) and only one of them was very nice (Xavier or Javier; another one spoke fluent English but he was not very nice). Cons: room was very small although I was supposed to get a double room (the bed was double bed), I could barely move! Corridors were claustrophobic - could barely roll my luggage! There was no sign on each floor indicating which room numbers were which way - I had to figure it out!

Bottom line: I'll probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick one away from the front desk side.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sanbhu
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The location is absolutely superb - just by Peurto De Sol . Almost all tourist spots are within walking distance . The tariff is reasonable and budget conscious . Staff are helpful and cooperative . Rooms are comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed November 2013 - We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. The price was great, the location couldn't be better - walking distance to all the sites. The rooms were clean, and the staff were helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit Madrid on a budget, but wants something nice.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank orchard_112
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my first visit to the Hotel Moderno, but my wife has stayed there many times. Its location couldn't be better" just off the Puerta del Sol. The hotel and rooms are clean, and quiet. Excellent value for money! The breakfast buffet is especially good. The only drawback is that the double room was somewhat small for two people. Next time I will book a superior room! It helps, though, that there is a very comfortable wi-fi lounge on the first floor (one above ground level), near the breakfat room, with comfortable chairs and sofas for reading and using a laptop or iPad.

Room Tip: Book a superior room if you are not travelling alone. Ask for the breakfast buffet. It will not disa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We loved our stay at the Hotel Moderno. The location is perfect, especially for those who have only a few days in Madrid, as we did. The Puerto Del Sol is the heart of Madrid, near the metro, the train and easy walk to many attractions. Our room was small (by American standards) but completely fine for the 2 of us, very clean and quiet with a large bathroom (by European standards). The included breakfast was very substantial and very tasty: meats, cheeses, yogurt, lots of fresh fruits and lots of pastry and cakes. The common spaces are huge and comfortable. The staff was very helpful with my use of the computer (I decided to get next day tikcets for the Prado and skip the long ticket line) and directions when I needed them. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank adventurelamb
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Moderno for 4 days in September. Great location. 30 metres from metro station and within walking distance to all major tourist attractions. Room was small, and decor dated, but kept clean and was very quiet. Staff were courteous and helpful. We arrived at the hotel at 9:30 a.m. and found our room was ready for us. We expected to have to wait to check in, instead we were able to settle in, and enjoy a full day in Madrid. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple