“What a gem, in a great location”
Review of Hotel Moderno

Hotel Moderno
Ranked #85 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Hotel Moderno is a very simple hotel, at a great price, near everything interesting, that has fantastic access to the metro and trains. I spent a week here during a conference and highly recommend this hotel to the business traveler. I recommend the breakfast as it was very adequate and conveniently located on the first floor with plenty of local charcuterie. If you have a balcony in your room, you can enjoy your morning coffee overlooking this brilliant section of the city. The staff is very friendly and quite helpful in every way. While not a luxury hotel, it is very clean and is a fantastic value. Highly recommended for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Recommend taking a balcony. It is worth the extra few Euros.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent 3 nights there in December 2012. The hotel is very well located, a few steps from the Puerta del Sol and the subway. Our room was modern and comfortable. The only problem we had was that we could hear conversations from the room next to us (it happened only one night, though). We did not hear noise from the hallway, just from the next room.
The wifi connection did not work well in the room, but it was fine if you were in the hallways.
We did not have breakfast in the hotel, so cannot comment on this.
I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms better sound-proofed than other ones (or in a quiet area).
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jo_Qc
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I will admit it. I love this place. Right in the Puerta del Sol, the heart and center of Madrid best I can tell. Easy walking to everything. A major crossroads for the metro. Good breakfast. Great treatment at reception. Nice lounge on the 1st floor. Free internet. Only odd thing was certain days certain websites simply would not load. Facebook loaded one of our 5 days. Yes, the walls are a little thin. But we never heard the conversations of others. And the glass must be soundproofed, for if you open the window it is a very lot noisier! Of course it is the bustle of Chrismas. I have been to Madrid many times, but never seen crowds like this! Overall our goal was to get out and see the city. And from here you can, and even in your very first steps outside the door.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KiowaVT
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a perfectly placed hotel... Walking distance to everything u need on a holiday... Room alittle small but u only need a bed & shower as ull be out in Madrid as a tourist... Def worth the stay... I highly recommend it to anyone...

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diablo8369
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Arrived at the hotel by the Metro, very easy to find just feet away from the metro. Had to change 3 times but still very straight forward. This hotel is just feet away from the centre of Madrid ( Puerto del Sol) . So fantastic location small lobby but go to the 1st floor where the breakfast room is & you will also find a very nice lounge & large & another TV room. The breakfast was plentyfull and the room a little small but cosy. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Friendly staff & everything within walking distant.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back so noise as the hotel is in a very busy area
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Midnightflyers
Reviewed November 30, 2012

First off, any hotel that dictates who I can or can't invite into my room is lame. Period. I pay for the room and I get to decide if I want to invite a friend up to my room. So even though being in the middle of tourist craziness and I understand them wanting to be careful about traffic in and out of the rooms, this infuriates me. Having said that the people in the hotel were very helpful to me. I had a bike and they were nothing but accommodating. The location is excellent if you want to be in the middle of everything, but I found it a bit much. Just too many people all the time. The rooms and facilities are ok but sub par for a hotel priced like this. You're paying for the location. Rooms were a little worn and smelly and the air systems weren't perfect. But all in all it's not a bad deal for being this central and provides all you need in terms of service and amenities.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel in the perfect location. We stated 2 nights, had breakfast in one of the many bakery shops around the square (Sol). The hotel is right beside the metro which is really great. The staff were very friendly! Only downside was the walls are very thin so you can hear your neighbours conversations very clearly! Nice hotel though for convenience to the centre of Madrid.

• Stayed: November 2012