“Good hotel chain”

Novotel Madrid Puente de la Paz
Ranked #200 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is an hotel with excellent facilties. Rooms are good size with tea/coffee making facilities and are quiet. Very good breakfast with lots of choice - fresh fruit, juices, cereals and good cooked selection. Only drawback is it is about a 15 minute bus ride to centre of city. The No. 53 bus stops by the hotel and goes into the city stopping at the Prado Museum and Plaza Mayor. If I returned to Madrid, I would pick a more central hotel but otherwise the Novotel was very comfortable and has and attractive bar/lounge area too.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor which was quiet and convenient for lifts.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you are travelling to Madrid for business and just need a nice, clean place to stay, the Novotel is perfect. It is in a quiet, more residential and corporate zone. The rooms are a really good size and that bath is nice. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and for 1.5Euro you can take it straight to the city center. It is about a 30 minute ride. I ate in the restaurant for both breakfast and dinner and both were very good.

If you are travelling to Madrid for vacation or sightseeing, you may want to consider something a little closer to the city center where all of the shops, museums, etc are located

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AngieRoberson
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels during my 63 years, in Europe, U.S.A. Canada, Australia etc, and this Novotel comes way down at the bottom of the list. I stayed there as part of a Riviera Tour for 4 nights, I don't quite know why Riviera take you there, as it quite a way out of Madrid, I guess they feel the public transport, which is admittedly frequent is adequate! Anyway on arrival we were told that there was a set time for us to go to dinner, between 7.30 & 8.30pm! Not to worry if we went in at 8.30 as they didn't start clearing until 9.15. This in itself obviously meant they were not equipped for large numbers of people. However on being shown to the room in late afternoon, it was completely dark. This was because a blind which was rather like a wall had been pulled down. There seemed to be no way of moving this blind but on enquiries at reception I was told there was a remote control on the bed head! When eventually daylight flooded in I could see an old and scratched TV on a bureau, no cups although there was tea/coffee making facilities, and on investigation a phone that did not work.
Once again I made my way to reception. They promised the cups would be supplied, and the phone fixed the following day, which it was.
The very small bathroom made it difficult to use the loo without hitting your knees on the opposite wall, and the shower had a very strange head, rather like a lolly pop which was fixed to the wall in such a way one either had to be a midget to stand under it, or hold it up with one arm to hose oneself down. There was also a strange arrangement to the hand basin which was shaped like a wave with a dip in the middle, thus everything put on sides slid in. The basin plug didn't work, and it amazed me how so much money was spent on remote control blinds but they could not supply anything as basic as a magnifying mirror. The hotel towels had seen far better days, they were extremely thin.
The TV reception was awful and despite the fact satalite tv was advertised the only English speaking channels were rolling news, CNN & news 24.I tried to pay to watch a movie, but the screen told me the room number was 513, when in fact it was 509 so I decided not to pursue that one. However I have saved the best (or worst till last.) The room safe which had a life and will of its own!!Between the hours of midnight and 5am every morning the safe would burst into life, going through its repertoire putting in a number and locking and resetting. This would go on for 15 minutes or so, thus interrupting and ruining sleep. This was reported no less than 3 times, and despite promises it was never fixed. It also meant there was no way one could feel secure about leaving things in it, and one was forced to carry around all the things which could under normal circumstances be left at the hotel.
The restaurant was awful, breakfast and dinner being a buffet. Once another tour, plus a conference arrived meal times were awful, a real scrum, and staff seemed unable to judge when dishes were running out and needed replacement. The food supposed to be hot was cold because plates were cold, and breakfast was a nightmare, with 1 two slice toaster for over 100 people, and a get your own cup of coffee machine, where queues were so long people gave up!
The one nice part of the hotel was the bar area. Service was very slow because there was usually only one person on, but they coped valiantly with a cheery smile. It took a long time to pay for anything or indeed get food and drink, (Bar food better than the restaurant, admittedly not saying a lot.) However the atmosphere was convivial and the decoration restful. To it's credit the hotel was clean, and the staff charming if ulimately unhelpful. All in all I would advise people to avoid this hotel, but, if you must go there refuse room 509.

Room Tip: The lifts are very small, thus more that 4 people with luggage is uncomfortable so try for a lower f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank mistyat11
Reviewed October 14, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank labdhipharma
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ideal base for our tour. Easy access to Madrid center but also good motorway access.
Hotel itself had good food and was modern and clean. Wifi in room and public areas with complementary imacs in lobby.
May not be close enough to Madrid center for some.

1  Thank jsharrison11
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Novotel in Madrid a few times before, each time for between 2 and 4 days, and always on business.

There’s nothing dramatically good or bad to say about it I guess; it’s simply a decent hotel that seems to provide consistent quality.

If you are travelling to see central Madrid, then the location isn’t great – you may well be better off staying in one of the more centrally located hotels. The Metro is just a 10 minute walk away though (parc de avenida), and this is cheap, efficient, clean, and an easy way to travel around the city.

The hotel restaurant is fine, though the cooked options at breakfast are somewhat lacking. The bacon is cooked just the way I hate it – in a pile under a grill, which means that one end of rasher can be well cooked, the other (that’s still stuck to other rashers) still very undercooked. On this visit (September 2012) I’ve also suffered from the new self service coffee machines. I’m sure for the hotel this provides the staff an easy life and saves money. For me as a customer though the experience is awful – the “coffee” is dreadful! I’m sorry, but I like a coffee in the morning, and this is just not coffee as I know it!

There are a number of cafes very nearby, and if you like a coffee like I do I’d recommend enjoying breakfast outside instead.

Didn’t have dinner in the restaurant this time – ate in one evening at the bar and had a Caesar salad, which was really quite nice. Beer is the normal painful hotel price you’d expect!

Every time I’ve stayed here the bedroom and bathroom have been clean and functional. Again, nothing dramatically out of the usual. Wifi is free, and can be accessed throughout the hotel. It is though nice and quiet and the bed was comfy – so it really did prove to be a great opportunity to catch up on sleep!

Value for money is good – the Novotel offers a great rate via the Internet. Taxi from the airport costs around 26 Euros. Next time I’m working in Madrid I’ll certainly be staying again as it’s just a 10 minute walk from the office and meets my needs – though as I say, I will most likely go somewhere else for my morning coffee and breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very good, pretty typical Novotel with modern, clean rooms, friendly staff very willing to help with our many questions. Pool was great.
Taxi was about €20 - to be honest I was a little worried after some other reviews about taxi drivers ripping people off but we had no problem. In fact we found Madrid to be a very friendly, safe feeling city (even though we saw some protesting) and the people were lovely even though our Spanish is almost non-existent.
Easy to take the bus into town but we found ourselves using the metro much more frequently as we went further afield than the main centre - the three day public transport pass (bought from metro station) was a good investment for us. Little bit of a walk to the metro station but easy and gives you a lot of freedom.
Would stay again.