“No recomendable. No parece las fotos y tiene cucarachas.Not recommended. Nothing like the photos and has cockroaches.”
Review of Babel Guesthouse

Babel Guesthouse
Ranked #208 of 276 Madrid B&B and Inns
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Knowing the city very well, I deliberately booked this guesthouse on calle San Bernardo because the area is fine to return to at night for a solo female. However, the place which I was actually staying was 10-15 minutes' walk away in the middle of the red light district. I didn't mind this too much, but the only staff member who ever came to the flat I stayed in, in which I was the only guest, did not speak any Spanish or English. The rooms look NOTHING like the ones on the photographs - my double room was incredibly small (I had to put my suitcase on the bed even when I was sleeping because there was no room for it) and without any windows, which was unfortunate as I had booked a room with a balcony, planning on spending a lot of time in my room for business. All the other rooms in the flat were empty, despite being much larger and nicer with sinks and one with a balcony. I don't know why they put me in the worst room, and for my second night there I asked to change to another room (one which the cleaner normally used for siestas during her working hours). The kitchen wasn't particularly clean and the wifi didn't work, which I needed for work. Worst of all, there was a cockroach infestation - I began to see more and more of them in the kitchen (including in the fridge), and finally found one in my bed, which was when I left. I had originally booked for 5 nights but left after two. Not recommendable. There are plenty of others which are much better for the same price.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Claire B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Madrid
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It seemed to be friendly place and rooms are like in friend's flat . Very nice and friendly athmosphere .
I recomend this Babel Guesthouse for people who love "freedom travelling ', the center of the Madrit , next to the most important madrit"s atractions .
We love this place
Tomasz W. from Poland

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Babel Guesthouse in Madrid - I was just looking for somewhere conveniently located and inexpensive and this provided both. The room wasn't huge, but was big enough for two. The location was really good, near Plaza de España and only 10-15 minutes walk from the very centre - we spent the whole weekend walking around the city, and only needed to take the metro to get from the airport and back, and although we are keen on walking around cities I would definitely count this as a central hotel. The area felt safe and was well-lit, and Madrid is buzzing at night, so there are always plenty of people about. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and there is access to a small kitchen where you can make tea, coffee etc on the hob (there was also a microwave, but we didn't use it). The only downside is the shared bathroom - we sometimes had to wait a little bit to use it, as there were about 8 people sharing it in the guesthouse, but it was spacious and clean. We had our own set of keys to the building, flat and our specific room, so we could come and go as we pleased, and there was a member of staff there from about 11am to 11pm, I think. I would recommend this hotel, and I would stay here again were I to return to Madrid (which I hope to do, as it is fantastic!).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Louisiana
Reviewed March 21, 2012

They didn't have a room when we got there, but they put us in their sister hostel, about 50mts away. This seems to be a common occurrence. Our room was plain, but comfortable. The bathroom was small, but adequate and with plenty of very hot water. The staff went well out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The location is great, internet free. Very much recommended. I wanted to stay here on our way back thru Madrid, but it was fully booked.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anacri
Recife, PE
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I booked a room one month before traveling to Madrid. When we got there - very good location - they didn't have an empty room! But it was good, after all: they sent us to a very close bed and breakfast with a private bathroom - the one we've booked at Babel was a shared one. The new place - Salome Hostal - was really good and clean. The best part: since our new room was more expensive, the Babel paid the difference! Thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolinaSantosREC
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Those guys think of everything, they've got nice clean rooms for you to have a sleep, festive decorations to make life better, the location is terrific and the owners are friendly chaps. So, GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends