“Great spanish cuisine”

Ranked #335 of 10,916 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas, is one of the most historic restaurants in Madrid. Founded in 1949, is located in the Arc de Cuchilleros, next to the emblematic Plaza Mayor. Named after the famous caves gave shelter in the nineteenth century the most famous bandit of the capital, Luis Candelas, who robbed the rich to help the poor. It offers excellent traditional cuisine: the Roasted Suckling Pig and Roasted Lamb in a wood oven, the Madrid stew, Grilled Fishes, or typical desserts of Madrid. It has a wonderful terrace and an extensive wine list. It opens till 13:00 to 00:00 everyday.
Puerto Rico
“Great spanish cuisine”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere in the old part of Madrid. Have been there several times and it's always nice

• Visited October 2013

Denver, Colorado
“charming al fresco lunch”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

cute off the main drag restaurant, claim to fame Jimmy Carter ate here! looks like a very old castle type place, the servers wear the traditional garb of the era. All charming servers. Nice hot sunny day in Madrid for an al fresco lunch. We started with the Iberico ham and chorizo (every meal in Spain started with the Iberico) I had a traditional Spanish Tortilla very yummy and very filling! My mother in law had the gazpacho and raved as it was layered and made in her soup bowl. My husband had a steak and father in law a salad (that he raved about) over all great meal , great location, atmosphere. The server walking around with the rifle was cool too, Recommend

• Visited October 2013
Mauritius
“Worth a visit!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The restaurant is in a cave. The food was nice. We started with the octopus which was very flavoursome. As mains, we had the lamb and the sea bass which were both good. My friend really enjoyed his Gazpacho and thought it was one of the best he has ever had. In the middle of dinner there was some spanish singers with their guitars which created a very lively and authentic atmosphere. The waiter was very helpful in giving us direction after the dinner. I would urge people to consider this restaurant instead of eating at Plaza Mayor (very touristy and not worth the price) if they are around this area.

• Visited September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Most overated, overpriced tourist trap”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Strictly for rich foreign tourists.
Overated, unfriendly, rude service, unfit food.
Do not visit if you value good service, good food, or good value.
Go anywhere else on the Plaza but here.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mulltiflyer
Lima, Peru
“Excelent choice for good dinner”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The place is really nice, attention also excellent and delicious food. We really enjoy our meal. There was a visit of spanish singers called "tuna" with their guitars. You feel like living in ancient years as everything is traditional decorated, One thing I have to mention is that I forget my I-phone 5 on the table and left the restaurant that night. I noticed this when I was in the bus going to my hotel. We called and they told us to pick it up,the next day. We did so. A really wonderful experience.

• Visited August 2013