“Most overated, overpriced tourist trap”

Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas
Ranked #331 of 11,460 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas, is one of the most historic restaurants in Madrid. Founded in 1949, is located in the Arc de Cuchilleros, next to the emblematic Plaza Mayor. Named after the famous caves gave shelter in the nineteenth century the most famous bandit of the capital, Luis Candelas, who robbed the rich to help the poor. It offers excellent traditional cuisine: the Roasted Suckling Pig and Roasted Lamb in a wood oven, the Madrid stew, Grilled Fishes, or typical desserts of Madrid. It has a wonderful terrace and an extensive wine list. It opens till 13:00 to 00:00 everyday.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Strictly for rich foreign tourists.
Overated, unfriendly, rude service, unfit food.
Do not visit if you value good service, good food, or good value.
Go anywhere else on the Plaza but here.

1  Thank mulltiflyer

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The place is really nice, attention also excellent and delicious food. We really enjoy our meal. There was a visit of spanish singers called "tuna" with their guitars. You feel like living in ancient years as everything is traditional decorated, One thing I have to mention is that I forget my I-phone 5 on the table and left the restaurant that night. I noticed this when I was in the bus going to my hotel. We called and they told us to pick it up,the next day. We did so. A really wonderful experience.

1  Thank Pierina F
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great food, great service, great music provided by the tunos, we sang along with them the chotis Madrid.... it was a great experience. Highly recommended.

2  Thank aida68
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was there some years ago and it was a delightful evening in good company. Our waiter sang for us all the time we were there. The food was excellent and we enjoyed every minute. I recommend this restaurant located under the Playa Mayor in Madrid.

1  Thank Nickiottawa
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went here on the recommendation of friends who said the suckling pig was great....we werent disapointed. The restaurant had a friendly atmosphere with experienced and cheerful waiters who knew their menus and were enthusiastic in their traditional dress!

Decor looked authentic and i'm half spanish and have lived in spain more than half my life.....suckling pig was delicious as was the spanish easter dessert of 'torrijas' which is kind of a spanish version of french toast but 100 times better....gorgeous and a good suggestion to us by our waiter.

At the end of our meal ( we got their at 8pm which is early for spain), the spanish univercity singers came to the restaurant to sing ( men dressed in traditional spanish garb singing beautifully to strong spansh guitars some very old wonderful songs)......great end to a lovely evening. Definatly recommend this place as worth a visit....good mix of local spanish and tourists and the tapas bar at the entrance was good too!

1  Thank PandSTeam