“What a find!”
Review of Hotel Persal

Hotel Persal
Ranked #128 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed September 19, 2013

A winner in terms of location and value. This really is the ideal spot for visiting Madrid, most tourist attractions are within strolling distance.
The room we had was small and basic but had everything you needed: effective air conditioning, free wi-fi, hairdryer, safe, FSTV etc. The shower room was small but very clean and the shower was first rate. Breakfast was also excellent value.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English.
The adjoining restaurant, Ginger, is a good bet to eat, moderate prices for good food.
The only slight niggle I had was that, in spite of booking 4 months in advance and requesting a double room, we got a twin room with a couple of quite hard beds.
I would still, however, return and recommend the Hostal to anyone looking for a good value centrally located basic hotel with good facilities and friendly, helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook a court yard and are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Perfectly placed, good breakfast, staff was polite and helpful. The room was quite large, and very clean. Overall, we were very satisfied with this hotel. The best feature is its location, right at center, near everything.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A hostal, not a hostel--Persal is a terrific pension located in one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's central to so many attractions for art, culture, food and nightlife. Surprisingly, the rooms were NOT noisy, even tho it's in such a hot area off the Plaza Santa Ana. I did have an interior room. The rooms are spartan but the common areas are terrific... the lobby and dining room are good places to plan your day, or meet up with friends. I was traveling alone and then w/ my teenage daughters, and we enjoyed it and felt as safe as we would in any city.

Room Tip: Our interior rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jskantor
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Absolute wonderful location and very friendly staff.. and the price was right- a great deal! Very nice complimentary breakfast. Hotel is very clean and modern- yes i agree with other reviewers. The hotel is "hip". Rooms are somewhat sparse but had all essentials and was extremely clean. Would highly recommend stay for anyone wanting a great experience at a reasonable price. I will be returning. This place would be rated much higher on various sites if it had more amenities but it's a true gem.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quieter but we prefer a room on the street with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David P
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Found this via a friend, Great location, wonderfully kind and friendly staff, great value! Complimentary breakfast was just right - breads, juices, coffee, tea, cheese and ham, a little fruit. Very "hip" and clean decor. Very sparse rooms (but that's all I needed), no elevator (which was a but of a problem), and warm rooms (all of Madrid was HOT so this wasn't too big of a deal). If you need a safe, clean, basic room in a great location - this is your place!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel a few times now and love it! It's in the heart of Madrid, is close to nightlife, and is very clean. Its rooms even have their own bathrooms! I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice home base during their stay in Madrid. Watch out for Cafetería Marazul next store, though (not associated with Persal in any way). I went there for a coffee, paid (plus tip!), and left. I was then chased down and accused of dining and dashing. The waiters were very rude and swore at me in Spanish, calling me a liar among other things. After checking my wallet and counting my money, I was sure that I had paid. I could understand if there had just been a misunderstanding and they were polite to me about it, but their salty language prompted me to invite a police officer over to help settle the dispute. This prompted them to check their register—and realize that I had paid. Their apology was lackluster. I wish that I could fully express my disdain for the waiters of Marazul, but I suppose that, for Trip Advisor, I'll reign myself in. In short, yay Hostal Persal, boo horrible, unassociated Cafetería Marazul.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank bendiego
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location and friendly staff. We have stayed here several times and have had a positive experience every time. The cafe next door, however, tried to charge us for our coffees twice. I'd recommend getting coffee elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013