“Great location on the Gran Via!”
Review of Hotel Arosa

Hotel Arosa
Ranked #241 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Bogota, Colombia
“Great location on the Gran Via!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The great plus of this hotel is the location.

Everything else you dont mind because location makes up for it. 3 minute walk from metro station, makes it very very extremely convenient. Everything, or most of it, is as of walking distance which makes moving in the city very easy. We even arrived from the airport on the metro and that was piece of cake.

When you leave the hotel, If you turn right on gran via you are of walking distance to Neptuno, Cibeles, Prado and if you go left a more commercial district arises on the gran via. If you want to go further the metro is half a block away.

Besides location breakfast was very good, they even leave small packed snacks for your mid morning cravings. Elevators are small, one of them specially, which makes waiting in the hall a bit annoying. Even for european standards this elevator could take more than 2 people sliding sideways to fit!

Rooms are spacious, although we had to change due the street noise on weekends, so ask for an inner room (we originally had a beautiful room with balcony and view, but sleep quality after long walking days was mandatory). Its not a modern hotel, decor is outdated, but it offers wifi (although you have to ask for a special code for each device you use and if the device forgets the code you have to do this process each and everytime you want to log in), I didnt mind the TV as there is so much to do in Madrid I didnt even have the time to try it, minibar was convenient, and didnt have any issues. Bathroom was spacious considering you are in europe and the building is old, although it seems Best Western provides now with a shower gel that works as shampoo, conditioner, soap etc which was something hard to get used to. (not only in Madrid's BW but in europe in general as we stayed in a few) Works for the environment but not sure if just one gel works for all.

Madrid is a city full of night life, so we appreciated how close the hotel was from all squares where the night life is. Personnel from the hotel was polite and keen to solve most issues at hand. They are not extremely friendly nor are most folks from Madrid but nothing that would ruin your vacation.

I would definitely go there again because surrounding hotels are more expensive and this hotel's location is unbeatable.

Room Tip: The lower the room the less the wait on the elevator. Higher floors are the non smoking rooms. Rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motocicleta78
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay at our property.

You maybe sure that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.

Hoping to have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit, I remain with best regards.

BEST WESTERN Hotel Arosa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great location just off the Gran Via in central Madrid. Transfer by metro from the airport takes about 30 mins but if you land at T1 you need to walk to T2. The hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Gran Via metro station. It is close to the old town and all the major tourist attractions.
I had a single room which was a little small but fine for my needs. It had a good sized bathroom and like the rest of the hotel was very clean. My room was at the rear of the hotel and apart from a liitle noise from an adjacent room was quite although I would imagine that rooms which face onto the Gran Via could be noisey.
I stayed on a room only basis as there are plenty of eating places locally so am unable to coment on the quality of the breakfast.
I thought the reception staff could have been a little friendlier.
With its great location I consider that it represents great value for money and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tom186356
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us

I look forward to your next visit so we can offer you our undivided attention.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is located right around the corner (down a side street) from La Gran Via. So basically next to all the main shopping areas. From the airport (MAD) it is approximately a 38 EUR cab fare. You can also take the Metro which is cheap and get off (with one transfer) at the Gran Via stop which was at the end of the La Gran Via street. We took the train back to the airport when we left and it was easy. Surprisingly, the trains were nice, not many seats but they looked newer and were definitely nicer then the ones in Paris and other cities I have been to.

The hotel has 7 floors with spacious rooms. Generally in Europe, the rooms are much smaller and I was impressed with the size. The decorations were a bit dated with brown tubs and toilets but overall the room was clean. A small fridge and old school tv was in the room as well. There are no little soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc in the room. Just a standard pump for all the above so if your expecting any of that, you'll have to bring your own or make do with a soap/hand soap/shampoo combination bottle.

Obviously, if you are in Madrid for vacation, you want a safe and clean place to stay which is located central to the places to visit.. well this was it. It had one of the smallest elevators I have ever seen (the one on the left being smaller then the one on the right) but it was comical to see people squeezing into it.. and I mean small even by European standards. There was a bar and restaurant on the second floor which was nice. We did not eat at the restaurant but had a few beers at the bar. Typical prices for a hotel bar.

We had free internet. You just go to the reception and ask them to print you a pass code. One 72 hour pass for each device, so if you have a phone, ipad and/or laptop, ask for extra codes which they will kindly give you. The internet worked great in the room, even when we were streaming movies on our ipad through sling box. Other hotels I have stayed in sometimes only have wireless in common areas such as the lobby but no issues with this hotel.

The staff was nice but not overly friendly.. not rude though.

You can't ask for more in terms of location. It was walking distance to the Royal Palace (10-15 min walk) and on the way you can see all the parks. Going in the opposite direction are three of the main museums. Anything else you need, just hop on the metro stop to get there. All the shopping you want is around the corner. If you go right when turning out of the hotel, you will run into a few stalls selling trinkets, candied nuts, hot chocolate, etc. Go left out of the hotel and your on the main shopping strip. All the shoes you could ever want to get.

The restaurants around the area were decently priced even though you are in a very touristy area. I would stay there again, great location, clean (although dated) room and free internet. What more do you need?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank slorin721
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for the attention you have shown by giving your opinion regarding your stay. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.

I truly look forward to your next visit.

With my very best regards,

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located in the hearth of Madrid near the GranVia Metro stop.

My non-smoking 7-th floor room was clean and good: wooden floor, shower with glass walls (no plastic curtain) and free (and working!) wi-fi. A limitation are the walls that are wafer thin. I could hear perfectly well people in the corridor and in the room nearby. The carpet in the corridor is a bit old looking but you are not going to sleep there.

The breakfast on offer has a good variety and quality. Besides usual stuff (scrambled eggs, bread etc) it includes pastries, freshly cut ham, fruits plus white rice, and bean soup. They also offer complimentary newspapers and the IHT as international newspaper.

Staff was welcoming but their English was a bit rusty.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank UnEspertoViaggiatore
Dear Guest,

I look forward to your next visit so we can offer you our undivided attention.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Unlike some of the other travellers, my husband and I had a beautiful room on the eight floor. With the original booking, I asked for a room on one of the top floors with a terrace or view of the city. The room that we were given was very clean and spacious and had five windows, including one in the bathroom. The views of Madrid were excellent!
Our friends who were travelling with us did not ask for anything in particular, other than to be on the eight floor. Their room was much smaller and had only one window so it is important to be specific about what you want.
The staff members in reception, in the breakfast room and in the bar were friendly and very helpful. The breakfast buffet included hot and cold dishes, was very adequate and was located in a beautiful room on the second floor. The elevators were tiny but they were in good working order.
We loved the location, which was just off the Gran Via and gave us easy access to everything. We were able to walk to the Prado and to all the museums and monuments that we wanted to visit. The city tour bus was located just across the street and there were any number of excellent tapas bars and restaurants nearby.
The only thing that I recommended to the hotel was to upgrade the fitness room equipment and add a treadmill, but this was not a serious concern because we got lots of exercise walking. Overall we found everything to be comfortable, convenient and just what we needed for a wonderful five days in Madrid!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the Gran Via and be specific about what you want when you do your ini...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Client,

Let me start by thanking you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create and enjoyable experience for each of our Guest.

I have certainly taken your comments on board, and I hope that we may be able to welcome you back again in the future for a 100% positive experience.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!

Lappeenranta, Finland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Choose this hotel, if you want to be close to shops and restaurants, everything is just around the corner. But if you expect 4 * class, forget it. We booked better rooms but they very tiny and not very atractive. We were two couples and one room was facing backyard, it was not noisy but what a stupid view! The other room was in a corner to main street, view was nice but it was very noisy all over night. The rooms were cleaned well.
Breakfast was over average in Spain and it was nice that it was until 11 am. I ate so much Jamon Iberico! The minibar was free in the room, that was nice.
The sightseeing was easy, everything by foot. I liked the flea market street on Sunday.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of our hotel on tripadvisor.com

I am pleased to see that you rated our location, buffet breakfast and cleanliness so highly.

I am sorry your room didn't meet your expectations. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.

With my best regards

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Being a cheapskate, I booked a single room. I've never done this before; I wasn't sure that a 'single' room even existed at most hotels these days. I was wrong. But let's concentrate on the positives to begin with. The reception area was small and up a small flight of stairs, although this was offset by the staff who were pleasant enough; they were very helpful with a small problem that I ran into just as I arrived. The bar/breakfast area was quite spacious and the furnishings very comfortable. The bar area overlooks the Grand Via and being an older building, had great ceiling heights and a sense of grandeur. The breakfast staff were very chirpy and engaging. Breakfast is a limited cold buffet style - cereal, breads, cold cuts, etc, with juice and coffee. More than adequate as it was included in the room rate. The lifts were very small (and oddly shaped - clearly built specifically for this hotel), slow and a little claustrophobic. The lift lobby on each floor was welcoming and the hallways wide. The free wifi worked well. But the room was tiny - there was really nowhere to put lay my suitcase open except on the bed. The bathroom was tiny. And not very well cleaned - some mould on the shower tiles. The view was non-existent as it was at the rear of the building and opened onto what seemed to be a light-well. Needless to say the curtains were kept drawn as the 'view' was too depressing. The location is outstanding. Excellent value for money, but not on a regular basis.

Room Tip: Don't book a 'single' room. Location is great - many restaurants and shops nearby. Free...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HOTELAROSA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Arosa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving

I am looking forward to welcoming you again

Please do not hesitate to contact me for your next visit.