“Disappointing AGAIN !”
Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #39 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Our second stay here. I should have known after the first that this would be no better. We stayed four days from 11-15 Oct 13 ( our earlier trip was over Easter). This trip I communicated with the reservation clerk and noted my dissatisfaction with our last stay. A room close to the lift and on a low floor. I was promised that would not be the case this time. So now we are on the 3rd floor vs the first but still near the lift. On top of that the room was small with a bathroom so small the door had a hard time closing. For the rate charged this is not what I had in mind. In addition it was not welcome BACK as it should have been but is this your first stay. As a member of the LHW Club I expected recognition as a member and the possible upgrade. Neither issues were raised at check-in. In short I should have known. I will travel again to Madrid but I/we will try another LHW hotel. As a side note the breakfast buffet needs attention as well. All four days both the tea and coffee service were served with water barely hot. The result was a lukewarm cup of whatever you are drinking. Since the wait staff is undermanned here during this time when you get their attention it is time to go. In short DISAPPOINTING!

3  Thank Token
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Mr Token,

Thank you very much for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid for a 2nd time and for sharing your feedback about your stay, which took all my attention as it does not describe the quality of service we strive to provide to our guests. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

As a frequent traveler to Madrid, I will remain at your entire disposal to personally make your future reservation with us and personally ensure your stay is a memorable one.

Looking forward to welcoming you personally back very soon, I remain at your entire disposal.

ctavelli@ritz.es

Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

All staff were extremely attentive to all our needs and questions, respectful, friendly, efficient, clean, rooms, restaurants, lobby and outdoor garden are all very comfortable, perfectly located, safe all times of the day.
(there is no pool, although Trip Advisor required a rating).

Room Tip: top floor, away from the elevator was very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Boxredsoxfans,

I personally look forward to welcoming you back soon to Madrid. In the meantime, please find attached the new video we just launched showcasing some of our new MADRITZ experiences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just as you would expect, this hotel is opulent and formal in it's decor and service. The room, lobby and gardens were magnificent. Bed linens were linen! Starched and ironed. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the bathroom. Though it was all white marble and appointed in luxury, it was impossibly small. The location is perfect however. We were able to take the bus from the airport and walk to the hotel pulling our carry-on luggage. Probably the only people to arrive this way. We also walked to Atocha Station for our train ride to Barcelona. You'll be across the street from Prado and in a lovely tree lined area.

Dear Debbie,

Greetings from Madrid and thank you for sharing your positive feedback with Trip Advisor readers, after your recent stay with us at hotel Ritz Madrid. Your words are without hesitation the best reward me and my team can receive as it shows that we have succeeded in our goal of creating memorable experiences to each one of our guests.

I personally also enjoy our 100% linen sheets as they are extremely comfortable in cold and hot weather. Walking around the Paseo del Prado, under the tree line, is also a great plus when you are in the center of a big city like ours.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to Madrid and sharing with you great walking places around our legendary hotel, as well as assigning a room with a larger bathroom ;). In the meantime, please find attached the new video we just launched showcasing some of our new MADRITZ experiences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The only positive thing I would say is the location. Hotel is old and needs total refurbishment. It is stuffy and pretentious as well as grossly overpriced. Staff was totally uncaring with rare exceptions. To find someone willing to speak in English was a challenge. Foof in the restaurant (we only ate breakfast) was unappetizing and service barely existent. You almost had to beg to get someone to refill the coffee. Orient Express should be embarrassed to list this amongst their properties.

Room Tip: check out other hotels
4  Thank MARK C
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Mark C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Your comments are great feedback for me and my team, even though I must admit I am very surprised by them as I daily go through the areas you mentioned and talk to our guests, obtaining positive feedback about their accommodations as well as the passion our team displays in our service.

I agree our hall carpet is now ready to be replaced. Therefore, a new one has been ordered this summer and, being hand made, it will reach our facilities this coming month of December.

I would truly enjoy welcoming you back to the legendary Hotel Ritz Madrid, have the pleasure to meet you in person, and look forward to sharing our genuine care for attention.

In the meantime, I remain at your entire disposal through my email ctavelli@ritz.es for further assistance as well as feedback on how to constantly improve the service we provide to our valuable guests like you.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel Ritz in Madrid is the perfect hotel. A friendly staff make ones stay a civilized dream. The location of the hotel -so near the Prado is ideal. To wander into the garden after the evening opening of the museum and to enjoy a cocktail there is so very nice. There was a bottle of Cava waiting in the room as well as a gift of 20 euros off of a lunch in the restaurant. We ate so very well there... Fresh truffles beautifully presented. Qw actually shared our Cava with some friends staying in another hotel. Upon seeing our room and the public spaces of our hotel they suffered dare I say it, hotel envy. Another hint.. The naval museum right across the street is a wonderful stop. For 3 euros one can enjoy a bit of the naval history of Spain. Most interesting and surprising were the huge ship models.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Truffie
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Truffle,

Thank you very much for your comments in Trip Avisor and for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid for your stay in Madrid. It is our great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have been pleased with our service, taking great memories with you.

Indeed, most of our guest value very much our location, being so close to most important art museums and generally, our guest don´t visit the very interesting museum you mentioned, the Naval museum, only a few steps from our door.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Beautiful historic hotel, spetacular decor in great location. Very comfortable bed, spacious closet, romantic garden restaurant with great food and service.
The hotel is very tradicional, with ladies having afternoon tea and old style decor. But everything very clean ans luxurious.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear FranBrasilia,

Thank your very much for your review as it is always great to obtain valuable feedback and read that guests enjoy their stay at our legendary and glamorous Ritz.

The Ritz hall is indeed the meeting point for a lot of locals and visitors to Madrid as our traditional Ritz Tea, following the original british tradition, attracts many visitors to our hotel and it has longly became a "must do" while visiting Spain´s capital.

In reference to our type of clientele, I encourage you to enjoy our new video at the following youtube link which reflect where the new Ritz Madrid is going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to Madrid.

Moito Obrigado!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Ritz Madrid for a week on business last year and I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The staff are exceptionally helpful, the lobby is breathtaking and the rooms are exquisite! I had a room with a small balcony and I just adored it. And it was also very convenient as a business hotel. I was very sad to leave when my work in Madrid was done but I know I'll be back to the Hotel Ritz!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Bijou177,

Thank you very much for your great feedback after your recent stay at the Ritz Madrid, your new home in the heart of Spain. I have shared your great comments with all my team as they represent the best reward we can have: a truly happy guest!!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back home soon.