“Impressive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just as you would expect, this hotel is opulent and formal in it's decor and service. The room, lobby and gardens were magnificent. Bed linens were linen! Starched and ironed. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the bathroom. Though it was all white marble and appointed in luxury, it was impossibly small. The location is perfect however. We were able to take the bus from the airport and walk to the hotel pulling our carry-on luggage. Probably the only people to arrive this way. We also walked to Atocha Station for our train ride to Barcelona. You'll be across the street from Prado and in a lovely tree lined area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Debbie,

Greetings from Madrid and thank you for sharing your positive feedback with Trip Advisor readers, after your recent stay with us at hotel Ritz Madrid. Your words are without hesitation the best reward me and my team can receive as it shows that we have succeeded in our goal of creating memorable experiences to each one of our guests.

I personally also enjoy our 100% linen sheets as they are extremely comfortable in cold and hot weather. Walking around the Paseo del Prado, under the tree line, is also a great plus when you are in the center of a big city like ours.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to Madrid and sharing with you great walking places around our legendary hotel, as well as assigning a room with a larger bathroom ;). In the meantime, please find attached the new video we just launched showcasing some of our new MADRITZ experiences (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI)

ctavelli@ritz.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
PARKLAND, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The only positive thing I would say is the location. Hotel is old and needs total refurbishment. It is stuffy and pretentious as well as grossly overpriced. Staff was totally uncaring with rare exceptions. To find someone willing to speak in English was a challenge. Foof in the restaurant (we only ate breakfast) was unappetizing and service barely existent. You almost had to beg to get someone to refill the coffee. Orient Express should be embarrassed to list this amongst their properties.

Room Tip: check out other hotels
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MARK C
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Your comments are great feedback for me and my team, even though I must admit I am very surprised by them as I daily go through the areas you mentioned and talk to our guests, obtaining positive feedback about their accommodations as well as the passion our team displays in our service.

I agree our hall carpet is now ready to be replaced. Therefore, a new one has been ordered this summer and, being hand made, it will reach our facilities this coming month of December.

I would truly enjoy welcoming you back to the legendary Hotel Ritz Madrid, have the pleasure to meet you in person, and look forward to sharing our genuine care for attention.

In the meantime, I remain at your entire disposal through my email ctavelli@ritz.es for further assistance as well as feedback on how to constantly improve the service we provide to our valuable guests like you.

Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel Ritz in Madrid is the perfect hotel. A friendly staff make ones stay a civilized dream. The location of the hotel -so near the Prado is ideal. To wander into the garden after the evening opening of the museum and to enjoy a cocktail there is so very nice. There was a bottle of Cava waiting in the room as well as a gift of 20 euros off of a lunch in the restaurant. We ate so very well there... Fresh truffles beautifully presented. Qw actually shared our Cava with some friends staying in another hotel. Upon seeing our room and the public spaces of our hotel they suffered dare I say it, hotel envy. Another hint.. The naval museum right across the street is a wonderful stop. For 3 euros one can enjoy a bit of the naval history of Spain. Most interesting and surprising were the huge ship models.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Truffie
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Truffle,

Thank you very much for your comments in Trip Avisor and for choosing hotel Ritz Madrid for your stay in Madrid. It is our great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you have been pleased with our service, taking great memories with you.

Indeed, most of our guest value very much our location, being so close to most important art museums and generally, our guest don´t visit the very interesting museum you mentioned, the Naval museum, only a few steps from our door.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.

Brasil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Beautiful historic hotel, spetacular decor in great location. Very comfortable bed, spacious closet, romantic garden restaurant with great food and service.
The hotel is very tradicional, with ladies having afternoon tea and old style decor. But everything very clean ans luxurious.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear FranBrasilia,

Thank your very much for your review as it is always great to obtain valuable feedback and read that guests enjoy their stay at our legendary and glamorous Ritz.

The Ritz hall is indeed the meeting point for a lot of locals and visitors to Madrid as our traditional Ritz Tea, following the original british tradition, attracts many visitors to our hotel and it has longly became a "must do" while visiting Spain´s capital.

In reference to our type of clientele, I encourage you to enjoy our new video at the following youtube link which reflect where the new Ritz Madrid is going: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to Madrid.

Moito Obrigado!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Ritz Madrid for a week on business last year and I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The staff are exceptionally helpful, the lobby is breathtaking and the rooms are exquisite! I had a room with a small balcony and I just adored it. And it was also very convenient as a business hotel. I was very sad to leave when my work in Madrid was done but I know I'll be back to the Hotel Ritz!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Bijou177,

Thank you very much for your great feedback after your recent stay at the Ritz Madrid, your new home in the heart of Spain. I have shared your great comments with all my team as they represent the best reward we can have: a truly happy guest!!!

Looking forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

It pains me to rate this hotel a three. However, I always base my ratings relative to the hotel's position. The Ritz, while a 5 star hotel, does not live up to its glorious reputation.

We checked I. On a Friday evening for a three night stay. The room we were assigned was not much larger than a walk in closet. It really was tiny. We complained, were advised the hotel was fully booked and better luck in the morning. The next day we were moved to the 6th floor new wing. The room was certainly larger. The bathroom was also significantly better. However, the shower stall, as in the smaller room, was too small to really move around. You need to turn off the water if you wish to lather up and clean properly as there's no room to stay aside while bathing.

The property and hotel is truly beautiful, very stately and one feels the grandness of this hotel. That said, she really has not managed to keep up. It's a shame, we just stayed at Alfonso XIII in Seville (one of the best hotels in the world). The Alfonso is similar in age but was properly closed, renovated for two years, and reopened to be placed as the top hotel in Spain. The Ritz is in desperate need of the same facelift.

A comment about service. It really is spotty at best. We've had breakfast for two days at the time of this posting and both days it's as if we were a ghost. At times, we were served and then the staff would ignore us, after the first breakfast I thought perhaps the best day would be better. It was not. Came back this afternoon for coffee in the luxe lobby. We had to flag down wait staff, ordered two espressos (bargain price of 8 euros each) only to be ignored after the coffee was delivered. Suppose I should be happy that I saved 8 euros by not ordering a second cup.

Housekeeping. This is also odd. Came back to my room at 3:30 in the afternoon and the room still had not been made up from the prior night. Not sure what's going on here but again a disappointment.

Honorable mentions: at the front desk, Carlos Charro is a 25 year employee of The Ritz and truly understood my issues. He felt powerless to make a difference but his genuine concern for the quality of the stay was felt. The other is concierge David. He gave us some great ideas for food. Really liked both gents.

Overall, there's room for lots of improvement. Do not arrive with high expectations for you will certainly be disappointed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harry G
Dear Harry G,

Thank you very much for the comments shared with Trip Advisors readers after your recent stay at our legendary hotel, which took all my attention as the experience you describe is not the one we strive to offer each one of our valuable guests. If this was the case, I would like to express my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay.

I am also very surprised that no one in our team was able to notice all these inconveniences and make sure we make up to offer a great experience before your departure. If you allow me a moment, I would love to personally address this experiences with you and make sure we regain your confidence in our legendary hotel, with a tradition of attention to detail and passion for service since 1910.

If you would allow me, I would appreciate to receive your contact information in my email ctavell@ritz.es, so I can personally reach you.

Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Ritz in Madrid is like a stylish lady of a certain age who knows that younger women are more attractive but who can still charm a suitor with her old-fashioned, well-honed wiles. We stayed there for three days in mid September. They showed us two rooms, one smaller but on an inner courtyard, the other larger, with a view over the Prado. We opted for the former because of our concern about noise from the street, and were not disappointed. It was quiet. Little things make a difference: (1) an excellent mattress, (2) really luxurious bathrobes and towels; (3) having a printed newspaper of your choice delivered to your door (such a change from reading it on your tablet) and (4) free wifi. (It is scandalous that some hotels, especially at the high end, charge for something that has no marginal cost). In addition the public rooms were very pleasant. By contrast, the fitness room, although stylish, was perfunctory, and the corridors were slightly dank, with one seeming to smell of smoke. The staff were without exception pleasant, though not always efficient. Waiters in the restaurant had poor peripheral vision and some odd views about where people might like to sit. The food at breakfast was excellent, but the service slow on one day when a side room was used owing to an event in the main restaurant. Tea in the garden was a disappointment. The garden itself is on a busy road, separated by greenery, which masks the sight but not the sound. The food was overpriced and poor. The tapas were tasteless and old, clearly having been just partially defrosted or just taken out of a too cold fridge. Disappointed with tea, we asked the very courteous concierge for advice on a restaurant for the evening and he sent us to one close by (Viridiana) that proved to be enjoyable. Price-value at the hotel was good (if you discount the tea). We paid Euro 210 per night all inclusive (bed, breakfast, wifi, newspaper, etc.), but this was only after asking a local contact to book for us. The rack rate would have been double this. Altogether, it was a pleasant experience. We found the elderly lady delightful and charming.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inner courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Theoph,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Ritz Madrid. I truly appreciate your positive comments and your great feedback about our tea time food and restaurant service. Please allow me to apologize if it was not up to Ritz standards. If you would kind to share which tapas they were, I will follow up on these, as we do not freeze our food, on the contrary they are prepared daily with the freshest ingredients in the market as we are proud to use a good amount of local products that are delivered to us every day.

Looking forward to welcoming you personally back soon at Ritz Madrid and making sure you enjoy an unforgettable experience.

Chrisitan Tavelli