“In need of refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ritz, Madrid

Hotel Ritz, Madrid
Ranked #33 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“In need of refurbishment”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here on business in 2012
Pros: Elegant building in a prestigious location / quiet and convenient / very good restaurant / good quality furnishings (although somewhat tired)
Cons: Wifi was poor / rooms and décor seemed tired and in need of refurbishment / carpets were dirty and unpleasant

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Manto AR,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at Hotel Ritz Madrid. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, furnishing, location and I assume service.

I also would like to apologize if you were not pleased with room decor and carpets. Even though the hotel is 104 years, we constantly renovate public areas and rooms, maintaining the same style Cesar Ritz designed back in 1910. For example, we have ordered a new hall carpet this summer which will be installed this December, as being hand made, it takes 6 months to be done. We will also reupholster the entire lobby furnishing. In our rooms, every year we restore 25 to 30 units ensuring updated fabrics and carpets every 6 years.

I truly look forward to meeting you personally on your next trip to Madrid and share with you the updates in our legendary hotel.

ctavelli@ritz.es

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Ritz, a very charming hotel. I will give you my best estimate of what I experience. The check in process can be a bit stressful, since the area is very small, and if crowded it can be a bit stressful. When we got their the room was not ready, but they upgraded us to a suite, NICE ROOM. No complaints from me on the room, it was very elegant and nice. Thank you RITZ

The location is good, and the overall level of service we got was acceptable. The breakfast was ample and had good variations of things. The outside bar/sitting area is very nice, and we got whatever we wanted. The inside area, was also quite and very conducive to get you a drink or food if you want.

OK so like some other reviewer said, come ready to spend 22 Euros for a vodka tonic. Simple it cost a large amount of money to stay here. If you can get pass that, I think the RITZ will be to your satisfaction.

As to any recommendations from the concierge, I don’t even ask. I do my research before I go and pick my places. They all work on gifts/money for recommendations; I should not say that, because I have run in to some who really care. So like everything else in life hit and miss.

Nice Pretty, full of history, this Hotel has it.

Room Tip: Get a SUITE ours looked in to the Courtyard, but the room was ample an din great condition
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eddie S,

Thank you very much for sharing your great experience with all Trip Advisor readers. It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay as well as the building, decoration, food and history.

I am sad to read that service was also acceptable, which means there is room for improvement. If you have a moment, I would very much appreciate to have more feedback of your service experiences at ctavelli@ritz.es.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz madrid and have the opportunity to meet you personally.

Miami
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel. Impeccable service. Close to museums, and walking distance or short taxi ride to many shops and restaurants. Stay here twice on this trip. First in a standard room. Good standard room but walls are thin. Then stayed in a suite, everything was perfect. Make sure to specify your preference of smoking or non-smoking. Also, king size beds are not guaranteed. Sometimes you'll get two twins pushed together. No biggy. Breakfast buffet was perfect. If they didn't have what you wanted they will cook it up for you. Afternoon tea service is so pretty in the garden. And drinks and caviar in the lobby is fabulous treat. Would return in an instant. But definitely would upgrade to a suite.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adri0809
ChTavelli, General Manager at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Adri0809,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Ritz Madrid. It gives me and my team great pride when we read great comments like yours, as a result of a very positive stay.

I sincerely look forward to welcoming yu back soon to the legenary hotel Ritz Madrid. In the meantime, please find attached a link to our new hotel video which will for sure bring you great memories. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yg8S-sHhI)

Sydney
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. Wonderful hotel with exceptional service!
Rooms are slightly dated but very comfortable.
House keeping has great attention to details.
Concierge Mr. Alejandro Lopez is very informative and knowledgable, he accomdated all of our needs with great recommedations. We have stayed in many high end hotels all around the world and he is the best concierge we have encountered!

ChTavelli, Director General at Hotel Ritz, Madrid, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear MHCai,

Thank you very much for your great feedback and comments about your stay and specially about our head concierge Alejandro.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I hate to admit that I spent so much for a hotel that is past it's prime. The second night of our stay, at one in the morning, my wife heard a cel phone ringing and ringing outside our room it was finally answered with a very loud conversation. She went out in the hallway and discovered it was a hotel employee. I spoke to the desk the next morning, and nothing was done in the way of an apology. Not even a complementary drink or something left in the room, or a note from the management.
We received what was purported to be a 20 Euro credit to be used in the restaurant. After dinner we went in to have coffee and desert. The manager told us it was only good for dinner even though the voucher said no such thing.
The concierge suggested a flamingo show and dinner at a restaurant outside the hotel. It was nothing more than a vastly overpriced resto with very mediocre food and over the hill performers. I wonder what his kickback was.
Anyway, this is a hotel way past it's prime. Avoid.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen S,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments about your stay which always help us to improve our service, and please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have encountered during your stay.

I have addressed the cell phone incident to ensure no such recurrence of same, as well as the $20 credit text. Our concierge usually recommends "Corral de la Moreria flamenco show and dinner" and all our guests come back very pleased with it. If you have the time to share with me by email more feedback about your experience at this show, I will address it with their management to ensure it doesn´t happen again or to stop sending our guests.

I truly hope you will provide us a second opportunity to show you that Ritz Madrid can offer a unique experience to every guest. Therefore I remain at your entire disposal to coordinate personally your future visit with us, and to ensure it will be a memorable and unforgettable stay.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 2, 2013

With the Ritz Madrid you get to choose whether you want a great charming hotel or a terrible threadbare hotel. I suspect this accounts for the disparity in reviews. The choice is all depending on what you are willing to pay for. This is not a budget hotel, and if you try and do this hotel on the cheap you're going to be disappointed. I paid to upgrade from my first room, and absolutely adored this hotel. I also would have changed hotels before staying in the first room.

After I checked into the first room (the budget room) I asked for a better room and I got to experience the hotel that I now love and will go back to. The person from reception took me to 2 different rooms to pick the one I wanted. Both overlooked the Pardo Museum and each was decorated differently. The one I picked had a very comfortable bed, large bathroom, lots of room and was quite cheery. There is an upgrade charge.

The smallest rooms face an interior "courtyard", which means rooftop with a few potted plants. My first room was in this category, and was unacceptable at any price. If I had not upgraded I would have left the hotel and stayed at the Westin across the street. These rooms are small and threadbare.

The restaurant was excellent with the best service I've ever had in any restaurant. I think there were 3 people keeping an eye on my table, and my glass of Kava (local version of Champagne) was never empty. The patio is the best spot for a relaxing meal. You can people watch and are just the right distance from the paino player. Attire is tourist casual to business, with things tending toward more stylish/formal as the day progresses. I suspect shorts for dinner would be frowned upon, though I didn't try it, so I don't know for sure. The tapas are very large and more interesting than you find in the local restaurants (try the potatoes which offer a unique flavor and presentation spin on the traditional). Breakfasts are buffet style with hot items available from the waiters, and included .

The bar area has a different menu from the restaurant is where you can get a sandwich if you want something quick and easy. It's not always easy to tell who's working in the bar area, so just ask.

The fitness room/spa isn't much to speak of. It's located between the ground and 1st floor off the main stairs. There are a few cardo machines, but you'll be much happier skipping this little room and heading for the giant park 2 blocks away. The signs claim to offer massages, but there didn't seem to be anyone around to ask/schedule and I never got a call back from the signup sheet sitting on the desk. This is Madrid so I would just ask the Concierge for the name of a real spa.

Overall this is great hotel. I will stay here again on my next trip to Madrid. It's not a hotel for everyone, but it is charming and definitely worth trying.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgraded room with an exterior facing window. Upgraded rooms all have exterior facing w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr Craig Dallas,

Our hotel opened 104 years ago and due to it´s configuration, every room is totally different. Also, we constantly update a group of rooms every year, changing carpets, fabrics, faucets, and wall paper/paint. Your initial room, a classic room, may have been among the ones that are about to be refurbished. I am glad you enjoyed the deluxe room you moved into, with great views to the Prado Museum. We normally specify upon reservation that one of the main differences between classic and deluxe rooms is that the first ones overlook our interior patio and the second one the exterior/street.

I truly look forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid and chating about Dallas, city I last worked before moving to Madrid (@ Rosewood Mandion on Turtle Creek).

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Conservative luxury and expensive. Great breakfast buffet. Elegant ambience and most of the people I see were stiff and a bit old. But that's fine with me. I just feel like me and my daughter were the youngest hotel guests. The quality of guests in the hotel were cultured and decent. It's nice to try The Ritz Hotel once, but if I go back to Madrid, I'll try another 5 star hotel. We enjoyed our stay. We love the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear RizaLovesTraveling,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments about your stay which always help us to improve our service. Your words of appreciation are the best reward me and my team can receive and we thank you for that.

Hotel Ritz Madrid, being 104 years old, welcomes guests of all ages and it is unfortunate that you felt too much stiffness and elder people were around as the hotel is generally quite vibrant, specially during the time you visited with our summer terrace opened and live music every night.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the legendary Ritz Madrid, I remain at your entire disposal to coordinate personally your future visit with us.