“Belle Époque Elegance”

Ranked #38 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Boston, Massachusetts
“Belle Époque Elegance”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

A beautiful, centrally located hotel that has been preserved very well. We stayed there shortly after attending an exhibit on the Titanic, and the feeling of traveling back to the early 20th century was overwhelming. For example, where can one find today wall-mounted solid brass ashtrays in the bathrooms? Of course it is non-smocking hotel, a necessity in the less-civilized 21st century, but still, the old brass fixings in the bathrooms and the solid hardwoods everywhere bestowed a charm of old. Good size, comfortable rooms with enormous closet space, overlooking the Prado. We unfortunately had no time for the brunch, presumably among the best in Madrid.
Very Expensive, of course, but it is worth it, if you can afford it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Axel1793

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have to admit that when we first checked in I really wasn't sure...first impressions were that this place was very old fashioned and dated. However, given the chance, it completely won me over and I grew to absolutely love it. We had a Deluxe room overlooking the Prado. The hotel is in complete contrast to my usual modern, boutique style hotel choice and at first I thought the rooms just needed an upgrade and I'd made a huge mistake staying here. Then I understood that the carpets, furniture, fixtures and fittings appeared to be mostly the originals from 100+ years ago which had been lovingly cared for or restored. With that in mind I really started to 'get' the place. From the stunningly white, monogrammed bed linen and table napkins to the beautifully turned out staff, this hotel was a constant reminder of how 'travel' used to be in a bygone era and how privileged I felt to be able to experience it for myself. Favourite part? Breakfast on the terrace - the perfect way to start your day.

Room Tip: Ensure your room allows you an 'outside' view. I think that's only Deluxe level and abov...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FERG12
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I selected this hotel because of its old world, elegant charm. It does not disappoint. The suite had a round livingroom overlooking the Prada. My parents (in their 80's) had the bedroom to the left of the living room and my husband and I had the bedroom to the right. The windows open and below to the right was the relaxing outdoor garden with service, fountains and a pianist. We enjoyed the garden once for drinks and snacks and again at tea time. Breakfast buffet was included and we felt like we were a part of the Ritz family. Our rooms were on the 4th floor and we slept well. There is in room coffee service with lots of choices which my husband and Dad enjoyed surprising Mom and me with. Upon returning from our outings treats were waiting. The room came with fresh flowers and my husband treated us
by ordering more which were well done by the hotel. White lilies and white roses. Beautiful. A wonderful start to our Spanish Vacation. We loved it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank fromtex
Sydney
Reviewed August 21, 2012

In the perfect location close to all we wanted to do and see. Our Iberian fight arrived at 5.45 from Buenos Aires still dark at 7ish when we arrived at the Ritz, our welcome was warm and helpful. Our room was booked for 2pm but flight scheduling....We were given a room almost straight away to shower and sleep until our room was ready, this all occurred without any fanfare other than as excellent hosts looking to help us! We booked a driving tour of Madrid through the charming concierge at 3pm. Showered and 4 hours sleep later we went to the Thyseen(sp) gallery across the boulevard (5mins) past Neptunes fountain.
A black Mercedes with guide driver showed us Madrid at 3pm, this is the Ritz own service and from the excellent knowledge of everything Madrid (customs, religion, politics) our Romainian guide was warm and generous. The 3hours went quickly and we were very grateful for the comfort in the 39c heat.
Our room is lovely, quirky even, a key for the door. We appreciate the charm of this Ritz, it is definitely not for minimalists.
The service is at a level of unconscious excellence, they are natural so deep embedded is hospitality. The Brazilian reception manager, the concierge, our guide/driver wonderful. I have worked in executive management in a major international hotel group and I lecture in leadership- these host are at the best level I have encountered. Bravo (more please!)
The Prado 'Ritz guided' tomorrow...........

Room Tip: Sleep in the corridor just stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BBear52
Manchester, NH
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent 6 wonderful nights at the Hotel Ritz in Madrid. Every part of our stay was exceptional from check in to departure. We had a suite which was exquisite. Every detail was seen to. The location is perfect, just across the street from the Prado and the Thyssen. It is a short walk to the metro and the hop on, hop off tour bus stops just outside the door. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The service was top notch. When we go back to Madrid we will certainly stay at the Hotel Ritz.

Room Tip: Try to overlook the Prado.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TonyN76
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 2, 2012

classic service, delightful garden and terrace, excellent manhattan in the lobby bar, good bedroom with large bathroom - exactly what you would expect from leading hotels brand - this was my second stay and I will return. also super location for museums and centre of city

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelleralways2
Columbia, SC
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Everything about this hotel is the best! Even the basic rooms are large and make you feel like royalty. The staff is helpful and courteous, and they do everything to make your stay unforgettable. We had booked a tour guide through the concierge and changed the time of the tour at the last minute. They made the change we wanted with a smile. The hotel is conveniently located next door to the Prado and 2 short blocks to Retiro Park.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends