“Impossible to better”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #42 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 23, 2013

What an incredible hotel - the central location (the bus from the airport virtually dropped us outside) to the fact that every member of staff we met spoke perfect English - everything was perfect. We arrived early (about 11am), but our room was ready & we were shown up. A very opulent foyer, and the corridor to our room was made up of beautiful mahogany doors. The room itself was spacious, with possibly the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. Well equipped with TV (with several English TV channels), safe, hairdryer, mini-bar & everything else you could want. The bathroom was equally well equipped with a great rain shower (over the bath) & high quality toiletries (always a good sign!), robes etc.

Our only gripe was the absence of free wifi in the bedrooms (it was in the foyer)... & the only way to get wifi in the room was to buy a package including TV movies, which we did not need.

But the highlight was possibly the breakfast buffet - I am not sure I have ever seen a more extensive array of cereals, juices, cold meats, cheeses, warm food, pancakes, omelette bar, Asian selections, churros, muffins, fruit and juice. Truly amazing.

The bar was very expensive, so we didn't try it, but looked nice.

If you can afford it, this is the place to stay in Madrid!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st Floor & it was fabulous, with a lovely view to the front of the hotel
1  Thank Simon C
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for sharing your experience and happy to read we exceeded for expectations
Hasta la próxima !

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite due to my husband being a member of Starwood's programme. Beautiful hotel and a great location. Close to the museums and shops. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The staff made us feel very special. Buffet breakfast was good. Complimentary WiFi - so my teenagers were happy with this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Tripadvisor
I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and we indeed offer Free Wifi to SPG Gold and Platinum members as a amenity option
Best regards

Reviewed October 23, 2013

It is a very beautiful hotel with great service and a fabulous location. The rooms are large and spacious and comfortable.

The Museums are a short walk from this hotel as is the sightseeing buses. The area has some good shops selling ceramics, and other artifacts and souvenirs. Plenty of nice cafe's around.

The lounge has a very elaborate stained glass dome which is magnificent and an ambience that encourages you to spend time there.

The concierge did not live up to the high service standards of the rest of the staff. It being a tourist destination there is a lot of demand on them, but they just cannot get off handed n seem irritated with your queries even if they seem naive

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fivestarholidays

Hola Tripadvisor
Thank you for your nice review.
I have shared the less good review of the concierge team as our aim is consistency in quality of service in all the departments; sorry for that

Reviewed October 23, 2013

So first of all, any negatives, I'll really take up with Starwood, but wow this is a gorgeous space. The decor is perfect for Madrid. It is a massive property, but I really loved the little features. The room was so nice, thank you Beatriz for working with me at the front desk at check-in. My next stop after getting the keys was straight to Loewe because it's right there. So much fabulousness in one tiny space!
Loved the room, loved the bar, though it is painfully expensive, never successfully found the advertised terrace even though I roamed the upper floor twice in search of it.
There is no doubt it is outrageously expensive. I mean, like not in the same atmosphere of the rest of Madrid, expensive.
My biggest pet peeve was that on my day of check-out, people kept coming by the room starting at 9am. I kept double checking that check-out was at noon. All sorts of people trying to get into the room. When a gentleman walked in when I was finishing getting ready, explaining with a laugh that he was just looking at what I had from the mini-bar, I yelled at him and told him to get out, that he could wait until I had gone. Very strange. And again, I'll take it up with Starwood, but you need to cease that policy immediately, Westin Palace. Frankly, it's weird.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you saying it´s a gorgeous space.
For the terrace you need to follow the fitness signs (end of the corridor of the 6th floor and then 1 floor up to the seventh). I recognize that different departments can come in the hotel at the day of check-out and this can be avoided by hanging the “do not disturb sign”.
I regret the inconveniences

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, close to shops, bars, tourist bus stop, metro and museums. The lobby and our room were tastefully decorated and spotless.The sound proofing seemed good as once we went to bed I heard not a single sound. I thought breakfast was good and the service was swift and attentive. Reception also helpful and polite. As others have said the bar is expensive and best avoided unless you like being shafted...
All in all, loved Madrid and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor
Thank you for your nice review and saying that you will recommend our hotel
Hasta la próxima !

Reviewed October 22, 2013

It's hard to find fault with anything at this beautiful hotel in Madrid. The common areas and rooms are stunning, comfortable, and quiet. Staff is helpful and friendly. We stayed with reward points, and probably would not have done so if we had had to pay for the stay, as the cost is obviously a factor in any decision to stay here. We did not eat in the restaurant for this reason.

Dear TripAdvisor
What a nice review
Gracias !

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Registering took longer than one might expect for a hotel of this rating but after a night here it is apparent the awards are probably not now merited. The room was clean but looked onto the inner quadrangle with no view other than the room opposite. A light Lunch for three with soft drinks amounted to €150.00 which was not good value. The room had the facility to connect with an adjoining room which is suitable for family use but not for business as telephone calls etc could be clearly heard from the adjoining room. Breakfast was a very standard menu and quite disappointing. The piece of broken glass in my fruit salad was a further disappointment. Wi-fi is charged at €4 per hour and did not work in my room. There are far better hotels offering considerably better value and food in Madrid.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
marc l, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Tripadvisor
I apologize for not having met your expectations. If WIFI did not work we will not charge for it so do not hesitate to contact me at westinpalace.madrid@westin.com
We also offer a daily lunch & dinner menu at 37.70€ euros per person (VAT included) for a starter, main course and dessert
Best regards