“Worst experience I have ever had”

The Westin Palace Madrid
Ranked #38 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Mackay, Australia
“Worst experience I have ever had”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My partner and I attended a conference for a week and all I can say is I was very disappointed. I have worked in the hospitality industry for 16 years now with hotels all over the world and by far this has been my worst experience. For starters it took us 45 minutes to check inn after a very long journey from Australia, after we finally checked in it took 2 phone calls to the front desk and 1 hour for our bags to arrive. Their was no free Internet access in the room, we had to sleep on dirty sheets as our room was not made up on a daily basis and their is no turn down service of an evening, which is standard in 5 star hotels across the world, staff were rude and of very little help,then the line up for breakfast was like being hurded up like cattle to a slaughter house, the drinks we had ( 2 cocktails) not made correctly were well over priced. I will never stay at a Westin ever again in my life and frankly it should only be a 2 star

Room Tip: Please do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank slinkster
westinpalacemadrid, General Manager at The Westin Palace Madrid, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor
Thank you for your review; very different from the recent ones we had and I am very worried. First please accept my apologies
Internet is free in public areas and in the business center and for a fee in the room. We have our “green choice” program that allows people to choose if the bed linen had to be changed daily but this is voluntary by using the “green card” next to the bed. Turn down service in certain categories of rooms is available 24 hours on request and serviced immediately
I regret the delay that you encountered for breakfast and I don´t know if your points where brought to our attention during your stay as this is for us the best way to rectify any mistake
Pls do not hesitate to contact me westinpalace.madrid@westin.com. Even if my hotel made a mistake and did not offer you the service you expected I am sure that the other 180 Westin hotels in the world are trying as us their utmost to satisfy their guests
Best regards
Marc L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband, our son and I stayed here in November 2008 (could not choose that option in the drop down box), and loved it, especially the Chinese restaurant, best one ever. The hotel is lovely, the domed ceiling in the dining room is gorgeous, the rooms comfortable, clean and lovely. It was very busy and the staff were polite and helpful if you needed anything but not neccessarily friendly.I hope to stay there again one day and fingers crossed the Chinese restaurant will still be there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a stopover in Madrid en route elsewhere. Planned to do a little sightseeing, so location was paramount. I couldn't have been happier. The location - across the street from the Prado and the Thyssen museum, 10 minutes to the Reina Sofia - was ideal. The rooms were spacious, clean and quiet. The concierge hit perfectly on both requests - for a classic churro place and a fun place for tapas - and we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see. I suppose if you needed metro access there are more convenient locations but in terms of proximity to museums, the train station, tapas restaurants and even easy access to the airport by cab, it couldn't be beat.

I'll caveat this by saying I was lucky enough to get a room on Hotwire, so I can't speak to the regular price of the rooms but even at a significant premium from what I paid it would have been worth it. Even better, I had emailed ahead to mention it was a special occasion - as a lower-paying Hotwire client, mind you, not a full-price client - and was pleasantly surprised to be informed at check-in that a bottle of sparkling cava would be sent to the room free of charge that afternoon. That's the sort of touch I'd expect at a quality hotel but, honestly, not one I expected or needed given that I'd bargained shopped my way in - the fact that the hotel did it anyway, combined with the wonderful service and great location, means this will be the first place I check into next time I'm back in Madrid and my stay here will always be a fond memory.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and nicely located. Loved the breakfast and the bar was a nice reprieve after a full day of sightseeing. The rooms were quiet and the staff was very attentive. It's an older hotel that has been carefully maintained. It's very close to the Prado and other museums.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a hotel. It looks marvellous from the outside and is probably even better inside. The rooms are amazing. The breakfast room is without doubt a highlight of the hotel. Go on treat yourself and your better half.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 16024
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This westin is perfect! It has a wonderful location, big clean rooms, and very elegant but not too stuffy. The location is walkable to everything we wanted to see! They charge for Internet but have free access in the business center.

• Stayed March 2012
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Westin Palace is in a great location for seeing the sights of Madrid. Located directly across from the Prado and on the sightseeing bus lines it is a great location. A short cab ride from the train station and also just about any of the main tourist sights as well as nearby tapas bars. The hotel staff is great and the common areas of the bar and restaurants are beautiful. The rooms are nicely appointed and the house keeping staff is first class. The workout gym on the top floor is a great addition with a nice view of the area. Overall you will not be dissapointed but either the rooms or the service.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the fountain. The hotel is not very high so any room will do on the front...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo