“Good show, but not very popular”
Review of Cafe de Chinitas

Cafe de Chinitas
Ranked #21 of 159 Concerts & Shows in Madrid
More attraction details
Owner description: We serve an excellent choice of tapas and drinks, which our clients can savour while enjoying the best flamenco show in Madrid. We do not only invite famous artistes to perform alongside our in-house musicians, but, due to our desire to keep flamenco alive, we also give an opportunity to young talent, as we have been doing for the last 40 years. Come and enjoy the best in flamenco…
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We booked online for the 22:30 show on a Wenesday because we thought it would be busy. We got there 20 minutes before and there were only 4 or 5 people there. Another couple came just before the show. There must be around 200 seats, so it was a little awkward for us (and I'm sure the performers) with such a few people watching.

Having said that, the show was really good and energetic. It's worth a visit, but perhaps on a more popular night. The Sangria included in the price was also quite good.

It was also one of the staff birthdays that night. The performers randomly started singing and cheering at her, but she was hidden from view around a corner so we had no idea what was going on until they started singing a Spanish rendition of happy birthday. They gave champagne to all the performers before the girl whose birthday it was reluctantly danced on stage for a bit with one of the performers. It felt a bit like a private party we were invited to watch, but not be a part of.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Yes, flamenco is a touristy attraction and even a bit hokey - but i challenge anyone to come to this spectacular performance and not end up smiling and clapping along! The guitar, singing and dancing was all very good. The performers were enthusiastic, energetic and skilled. Everyone had a fantastic time! The admission price included a decent glass of sangria- and we paid for a bottle of water. Some people ate, but we did not.

1  Thank srbontheroad
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was a fun evening. I saw Cafe Chinitas reviewed on TripAdvisor b4 we travelled to Madrid, and there was a stack of CC brochures in the lobby of our hotel -- which was the Aparto Suites Muralto. Seating at tables is a little cramped in places -- much like a real old-school night/supper club in Las Vegas for example. The wait staff was very attentive and helpful. As a couple, we enjoyed drinks, supper (the food was very good), and an entertaining, spirited Flamenco show. The performers were very skilled and seemed to enjoy their work. We booked the reservation for this Cafe online while we were in Madrid with The Fork. Glad that we tried Cafe Chinitas.

3  Thank ButchEkstrom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

An owner of a flamenco accessories shop recommended that we go to Café de Chinitas as it would be the most authentic flamenco in Spain and that we could pay 28 euros to see the performance. He further stated that it was not a tourist trap and that we could either eat and watch the performance or just drink and watch the performance. Two members of our group were escorted in to the over crowded dining room with chairs almost on top of each other and were told that they could sit and enjoy the performance and as the rest of the group was seated I was told that we had to pay immediately for the performance and dinner or leave. I informed the rude waiter, in Spanish, that we were told that we could pay 28 euros for the performance and that as the first part of our group was walked in the other waiter had confirmed the fee to be paid; however, the rude waiter got in my face and told me that either we paid or left. So, we all got out and left. The greatest thing about that is that 4 days later we all went to Barcelona and saw a great flamenco performance and had great buffet with Moroccan and Spanish cuisine. Well worth the wait and the money!

5  Thank GaMenH
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place was suggested to us by our hotel concierge (Gran Melia Fenix). We asked him to get us a reservation for flamenco dancing at 10pm so I'm sure he was limited in options. We arrived for our 10:30 reservation and had a pretty decent table, but I think most tables were not bad.

The show itself was 28 euros. If you don't want to pay €3+ each for the bread, don't eat it when they bring it out. Also, water is not free. The sangria was good, as is most places in Madrid. The calamari was also very good, but about €20. We also had the crispy suckling pig (€20-22), which we also enjoyed. The bread, whether for free or €3, was terrible so I suggest that you just not take it. Our final bill was €128 for only 2 people.

Overall, the only complaint I had was the limited service, and feeling that they were just trying to take advantage of tourists. I had a checkin offer from Yelp that our server didn't recognize and just ignored like I never showed him. The dancing was great, but take my opinion with a grain of salt since this was my first experience.

I would absolutely recommend going to a tablao flamenco, but I'd probably suggest finding a different one to go to.

1  Thank Timgator