“Fantastic”

and up
Flamenco Show at Cafe de Chinitas
Ranked #24 of 162 Concerts & Shows in Madrid
More attraction details
Owner description: We serve an excellent choice of tapas and drinks, which our clients can savour while enjoying the best flamenco show in Madrid. We do not only invite famous artistes to perform alongside our in-house musicians, but, due to our desire to keep flamenco alive, we also give an opportunity to young talent, as we have been doing for the last 40 years. Come and enjoy the best in flamenco…
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Dancers were brilliant.
Food was great for all our visitors
Splendid place next to the podium.
Recommendation to everybody.

in 3 reviews
"metro"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had done a lot of research online before our Spain/Portugal trip about where might be the best Flamenco in Madrid and even spoke with some locals including our Madrid bicycle tour guide, Carlos, who grew up in Madrid. Now I know the place to see excellent and less-touristy flamenco is in Seville, but unfortunately, Seville wasn't on our itinerary this trip. My girlfriend and I wanted a non-touristy flamenco experience and we had been told about this place as well as the highly touted Corral de Moreria not too far away. We tried booking there first but was told both shows were sold out not surprising for a Sat. night, so we decided to try Cafe de Chinitas, second on our list and also recommended by our staff at the Apartomento Suites Jardines de Sabatini, an excellent apt/hotel steps away near the Palace. From all I read as well as the reviews here, we decided to eat dinner before coming and just order Sangria while we watched the show. I'm glad we did because the food as we glanced around at people's plates wasn't much and it was Super EXPENSIVE!!!! My advice: have a great dinner more reasonably priced elsewhere and just come for the show and obligatory drinks. Our Sangria was very disappointing I must say- extremely watered down and overly sugary! But it was for the flamenco we came. Even though we booked a night in advance, we got stuck sitting at a table at the far end against the wall; the tables here are quite cramped and I had a little chair struggle all night long with the person sitting inches away from me (and we're both thin!) They really cram you in here. The show itself started out really hokey with a really badly amateurish older woman with a terrible singing voice BUT I have to say, once the solo gentleman took the stage, everything got better and the other female dancers started stepping up their game. As a performer myself, you can tell when another performer is breathing passion and life in a performance authentically or when they're just going through the motions and he was so good, the other dancers definitely wanted to look as good. So all in all, a fine night of entertainment worth the 40 or more Euros per person; the show lasted a good hour and 45 minutes. Some of the singers sounded off but the dancers on the whole were very good. My only complaint was the setup of the venue; the stage was separated by two different sides, so the dancers invariable throughout the performance were split trying to play to both sides and therefore you see a lot of 'backs' throughout the night AND the most annoying feature was the lighting. Because the lighting is mostly hung low and sidelit, you always have spotlights right in your face. Also, one dance in particular was so dark, I could barely see the dancer; perhaps it was because the female didn't want anyone to know how really old she looked! If we were seated closer to the stage, this would've been much more enjoyable. I'm kinda glad we sat against the back wall actually as I could stand up and take pictures over everyone else's heads and not fear blocking anybody behind me. Really, a flamenco venue which is all about dance and footwork should be highlighted better with a raked audience, so everybody could get a good view of the dancer's complete bodies and feet. All in all, though a 7 out of 10. Tip: If you're coming to the evening's 2nd show at 10:30pm. don't think by coming early, they'll seat you better. We showed up at 10:15 and were told to go away and come back at 10:30 which is when the show was to start.

7  Thank Louis_Lotorto_2004
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We went with the idea that we probably wouldnt eat but once we saw the prices for the food we definately didnt! We ordered a drink each and some olives and bread. Drinks were about 8 euros each (beer or wine). The olives were ok but the bread was rock hard and very stale! On seeing other people's food arrive we were pleased we had decided to wait to eat!

Anyway, we had fab table and it was 28 euros per person for the show. We went to the 10.30 showing which lasted till midnight. The dancing was brilliant!! We watched a variety of dancers, men and women and in particulary one of the girls was brilliant!

All in all, would say go as the dancing is so good, just either eat before or afterwards.

5  Thank natmoto22
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Had dinner with family here August 28, 2011. The meals are ridiculously overpriced and you are charged even for the buns that have been on the table for hours. That I found insulting. The meals were good but nothing incredible for the prices. The best meal was the salmon that my son had ordered. Make sure they don't overcook it! It costs us approx. 188 Euros for 5 main courses, 2 beer, 1/2 bottle of wine, and kid's drinks. No appetizers or dessert. Now of course, that doesn't include the cost of the show!

Now the show was worth every penny! It seems from the other reviews that there are different dancers and we were lucky to have very good dancers and entertainers that evening. We all enjoyed each dancer and singer and the gentleman dancer and one of the ladies in particular were amazing. She did probably an entire minute just on her heels!

You can see just the show or have dinner with the show. The sides are separated by a wall but you have good views from everywhere on the dinner side.

I'm not sure if this place is a hit or miss venue but we definitely all enjoyed ourselves and would recommend this Café for its entertainment value.

3  Thank toygim