“Great for Location”

Ranked #209 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
“Great for Location”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a room on the third floor first time. It was small in size but the bathroom was even smaller. The toilet is so close to the bidet that when you sit your legs are a mili inch away from bidet. The shower width was the width of my body. I am a woman 5 ft 7in about 165 lbs.When I went to turn around the shower handle would hit my body. It was really tiny for my poor husband who is 6ft 2. The beds were a bit hard but for the price and location. I guess it was worth it only but not for comfort. Would probably try somewhere else next time.
I also used this hotel again upon return from Barcelona within a week and was given a nicer room on the 5th floor with good size bathroom and room. In overall, the men at the reception desk were very nice and courteous. The elevator is small for max 4 people but this was never a problem not even with luggage. They were able to assist with calling a taxi to airport with no problem and driver Manolo was on time. It is close to the Sol Plaza and I did not have breakfast there but rather at Mc Donald's in plaza which was cheaper.

Room Tip: I asked for non-smoking room towards the back to avoid noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear chinadoll19us
I’d like to start by thanking you for sharing your comments with the community. Customers’ feedback is our best source to get to know the level of our facilities and service and try to enhance them.
I am sorry the room on your first stay did not meet your expectations. As you could test on your second stay, though similar not all our rooms are equal and it seems we did not get right when we assigned you the room for the first stay, may be more suitable for solo occupation. Please accept my apologies.
It would be great to have you back at our hotel your next time in Madrid if you consider to give us another opportunity to serve, this time we’ll try to hit the target at first attempt!

Santiago Aguilar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
shropshire
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in March 2014.
Hotel is very central and easy to get to from Sol Metro station.
Good sized room, well equipped bathroom, very clean.
Breakfast better than I expected with choice of hot & cold food.
Staff very helpful.
I stayed in room 412 which faces onto the street. There was endless noise throughout the night, music, traffic, noisy revellers making their way home at 5am, delivery vehicles and what sounded like building work starting at 6am. Even armed with ear plugs I only managed to get about 3 hours sleep each night.

Without the noise issue I would have given this hotel an excellent rating. If you value your sleep then I would ask for a room at the back of the building.

Dear 12solotraveller
Let me first of all thank you for sharing your comments with the community. It’s great to know you all in all enjoyed your stay at our hotel, our breakfast an d the kindness of our staff, we are glad we made you feel welcome and comfortable with us.
As you say, we are unbeatably located right at the heart of Madrid. Unfortunately, one of the things coming with it in a lively Mediterranean city like Madrid is some street noise… as you say, it is a good idea to ask for a room at the back if you are a light sleeper. It’s a pity we were not aware to have given you one. Please do not hesitate to remind us in case you return to Madrid and decide to give us another opportunity to serve you, we’d love it.

Driffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The hotel is situated right in the heart of Madrid, not far from Sol Square and the metro station.
We had a three night stay and wished we'd stopped for longer. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, we have a very nice room on the second floor and the bathroom and shower were excellent. Our room balcony overlooked the main street and considering the location and the fact we were in the middle of a capital city the noise didn't disturb us and we both slept very well. We had breakfast each morning which was excellent with a selection of hot and cold food, loads to choose from. Would love to come back to Madrid asap!!!

Room Tip: We had 207 overlooking the main street, excellent!!!
Dear Steve I
Let me start by thanking you for sharing your comments with the community. It’s great to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel unbeatably located right at the heart of Madrid.
Looking forward to coming back to Madrid? Please, do; we’ll be glad to welcome you back home with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Madrid, although it could desperately do with a make over. The air conditioning in the room wasn't working correctly, so we slept with the windows open. There was an incredible amount of noise from the street below. Doubtful I would return to this hotel next time I am in Madrid

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear TheButcher27
Let me first of all thank you for sharing your comments with the community. Customers' feedback is our best way to try to improve our services and facilities.
I'd like to apologize for not having exceded your expectations. I would only like to ask you if you reported the malfunction of your AA unit; we have staff on duty 24/7 and I just wonder if it could have been solved within minutes.
I would also be grateful if you considered to give us another oportunity to serve you your next time in Madrid. Please do not hesitate to contact us and check if we have had the chance to make some renovations, we have some plans!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

One has to accept that Madrid is an very expensive city to visit so,one's expectations have to be lowered. Hotels prices far from reasonable. This Best Western is beautifully located, but the hotel is rather gloomy,the bed and pillows are lumpy this is a three star hotel ( Three Advisor) and not a three. The rooms are smaller than expected, shabby and and with paper thin walls, plus with the added noises street this is not a restful place. The bathroom is very sparse on toiletries.

If staying in a downtown hotel in Madrid is a major criterion this hotel is well placed and in walking distance to most tourist areas. In the central area it is "normal" to be pick pocketed, so leave your valuables in the hotel safe and only take what your need to sightsee-zip pockets are a must. The is an additional hotel fee for a key to you safe lock.

The breakfast is very ordinary and not very exciting.

On a positive active note the staff are very kind and helpful and are always willing to help.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Michael M
I want to start by thanking the time dedicated to share with the community your comments on our hotel.
I want to apologize for not being able to meet your expectations. We will take your valuable comments very much into consideration for future renovations.
I hope that on your next visit to Madrid we have been able to improve some of the negative aspects you pointed and you are so kind to give us another opportunity to serve you, where you can check these improvements.

Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Hotel is very old but impecable and very well kept. The room was charming, super clean and not noisy at all considering the super central location. The staff was incredibly attentive and friendly and make you feel welcome. The breakfast buffet was good but a little overpriced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Ester N
Let me first of all thank you for sharing your commetns eith the comunity. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we were able to make you feel comfortable despite our busy location right in the heart of Madrid.
It would be great to welcome you back your next time in Madrid.

Kings Park, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2014

just returned from this hotel.i LOVED my visit. the place is immaculate, informative and centrally located to all mass transit..the staff is extremely professional and helpful--especially employee Emmanuel.
i also was provided car service to and fro airport-which was also excellent. car service is called aerocity .
i never wanted to leave!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Denise C
bwcarlosv, Director General at BEST WESTERN Carlos V, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Denise C
Let me first of all thank you for sharing your opinion with the community. It’s great to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and our unbeatable location right in the heart of downtown Madrid.
I’ll be glad to inform Emmanuel of your comments; he will feel proud to be recognized, though he’s just doing his duty. You know when you stay at a Best Western you are staying with people who care.
It would be lovely to have you back with us in case you return to Madrid.