“The artists own home with lots of paintings”
Review of Museo Sorolla

Guided Tour Sorolla Museum of Madrid
Ranked #6 of 828 things to do in Madrid
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Sorolla Museum preserves the original atmosphere of both home and study of the painter Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida (Valencia, 1863 - Cercedilla, 1923). It houses the richest collection of his works, colourful paintings irradiating light and vitality. It is one of the more complete and best preserved artist homes remaining in Europe. The garden, also designed by himself, is a beautiful oasis in the city.
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Sorolla lived here with his Family. Many of his great paintings are kept in this "museum" which in fact is like visiting a home.
Go there - it is an excellent contrast to the 3 big museums in Madrid, which all can seem very huge and overwhelming.
In Sorolla's house you will find an exiting and peaceful story about one of Spain's famous painters.

1  Thank Lynge T
Write a ReviewReviews (5,268)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This "house" museum is just wonderful and well worth the walk or taxi ride into the suburbs, as it is just a little way out of central Madrid.
It presents a superb display of Sorolla's works in a marvelous manner; little wonder that it has been so highly rated by TA readers /reviewers.
It is certainly a museum on a very human, altogether accessible scale and we just loved it.
Not to be missed!

1  Thank GWGGWG
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I visited the Sorolla Museum as part of my 8 full-day visit to Madrid but didn't enjoy it very much at all. There wasn't too much that really 'grabbed' me there, but it was a fairly pleasant way to spend nearly an hour of a Saturday afternoon - especially as it has quite a nice 'garden' area and was free to visit !

---
I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Madrid and day trips to Toledo/Segovia, it is entitled 'Madrid Attractions (+ Toledo/Segovia Day Trips) : 7 Full-Day Visit Oct 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

I took advantage of the generous 'free visit' Saturday afternoon, but if you can't make that you should note that the standard entrance fee is quite low except that what you can see amounts to less than the other attractions of this type that I also visited (ie Museo del Romanticismo and Cerralbo). The Museo del Romanticismo is close by, so if time is limited I think that this attraction is less deserving of your attention unless the artist/art here is that which interests you...

Aside from the small but tranquil garden area, everything of potential interest is inside - unfortunately, when I visited the 2nd floor was closed; with hindsight that was perhaps a blessing ! I say that as the collection is not that varied and obviously concentrates on paintings by the artist who lived and worked there, so as the style of his work didn't appeal to me very much the omens were never going to be that good.

Clearly I am in a bit of a minority as most people who have reviewed this attraction loved it. Having said that, I did quite like a couple of portraits there - but that was probably because they were of a particularly beautiful woman (his wife I think) more than anything else....

Flash-free photography is allowed, so example photos of mine (ground floor only !) should feature at the base of this review.

The Sorolla Museum is quite close to the city centre and the entrance fee (if you have to pay !) is quite low. Of the 'private house' museums I visited, this was my least favourite - I preferred the Museo del Romanticismo and didn't find it anywhere near as 'quirkily enchanting' or as interesting as the Museo Cerralbo.

3  Thank LPWilliams
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We didn't plan to visit this place... But after seeing one of his paintings in the Prado, we decided to visit his house (and workshop). We're not disappointed.
This place is small, of course... it's the artist's house, but the house, its garden, and the paintings, and all things inside are kept in the perfect condition. Lots of Sorolla's paintings, very beautiful, warm, and cute house. We really love this place!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The lovely museum was actually the artist's home. Plan on 3 hours if you get the audio guide (recommended).

We were surprised that when we bought our tickets and paid for the audio guide the lady didn't tell us to pick up the headsets from the women next to her. They let us walk out the door and into the museum where we were sent right back to the same counter. We thought was odd if not simply rude.

The museum is great however and the gardens lovely. (Wish we had seen them in bloom).