Tripadvisor

from $27.00
from $66.85
from $118.52
16,092 results
All reviews picasso's guernica modern art pablo picasso juan gris spanish civil war spanish artists free entry great museum permanent collection on display art lovers two hours audio guide amazing collection works of art beautiful building exhibits
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Constant Companion and I have visited the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia many times but have not reviewed it previously! Each time we stop we always view Picasso's "Guernica" , but also really enjoy the smaller exhibitions. Such was the case this time when we saw the highly interesting "Telefónica Collection: Cubism(s) and Experiences of Modernity" and the intriguing "The Avant-garde Networks of Amauta: Argentina, Mexico, and Peru in the 1920s"! These types of exhibitions are marvelous at the Reina! You just have to take a little time to read about them prior to your visit so you do not miss them and can appreciate them!

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed January 20, 2020

This gallery houses one of Europe's most impressive collections of art and perhaps one of the 20th century's most important painting in Guernica by Picasso. A life long dream to visit was realized. After visiting the Thiessen and El Prado on the previous days, I was allowed free access due to the fact I'm a teacher/academic. Entering the Reina Sofia, I noticed a sign also offering a reduced fee. I produced my ID card only to receive the Spanish inquisition from the rude and contemptious lady working at the desk. 'Your ID doesn't prove anything' as she questioned me. The ID clearly states University staff and is in date. Eventually, I just paid as its only really a small amount of money. The building is beautiful and the collection throughout is very impressive including all the temporary exhibitions. The main problem is that the building is crawling with security staff who are everywhere. They are far more visible in terms of numbers to other galleries. They are generally completely distant, unhelpful and carry the facial expression of someone who has missed a bus and is now sitting in the rain or a guard in a prison camp. You are permitted to take pictures throughout the gallery, except in the room that houses Guernica. Prior to entering the room, I wanted to take a picture of the crowds filling in to see it. Just as I had my camera out, a woman startled me from behind shouting at me about the camera. I told her I don't speak Spanish to which she only talked faster and louder. Very rude and aggressive. When you enter the room that houses the Picasso, its almost impossible to concentrate on the painting as both doors lead to other spaces which were showing grainy 1930s art house films with sound on full volume. A silent zone of contemplation it certainly isn't; which is sad as its such an important painting. We moved onto the Miro exhibition which housed a scale model of the Spanish pavilion from 1938. Within the model is one of Miro's wonderful moving sculptures. As a regular visitor to Barcelona and the Miro Foundation, I was excited to see this piece. I pointed towards the piece to my girlfriend who was approaching only to be startled and shouted at again by another staff member. Again I told her I don't speak Spanish to which she replied don't touch. As a 40 year old adult, its hard to spoken to as if your a scolded child and especially since my hand in no way touched the piece or even came close. My girlfriend then translated to the staff member who politely backed off after several minutes of explaining that I wasn't in fact a child and could actually read the sign that said 'don't touch'. This is an amazing space with amazing art, its just a shame that the staff are either so cold and rude or plainly aggressive in their dealing with people. If you having a bad day stay at home. I have never experienced anything like this in my many visits to Barcelona, Paris, Bilbo or London.

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank Jonathan H
Reviewed January 18, 2020

We had previously visited the Prado (see review) which we found overcrowded. By contrast, the Sofia was a much more pleasant experience and unlike the Prado it appeared that they did control the numbers entering. The building is very easy to navigate and well set out. We very much enjoyed the visit, with the exception of the cafe, at which we couldnt get any service.

Reviewed January 17, 2020

Contactless credit card was accepted to this modern art museum with a fee of €10. I had heard that entrance is free after 7 PM but didn't verify that. I walked right up in the middle of a December day so no "skip the line" was necessary. The WiFi was great! I checked my backpack in at the cloakroom for €1. The attendant didn’t speak English so our conversation was comical. I did not have exact change but there was a machine that gave me change in the cloakroom. I was given a key to retrieve my bag when I was done. I started on the first floor where there was a temporary exhibit. I then climbed the stairs to the 4th floor to start there and make my way down. There was a lot to see about post WW 2. I ran out of time before I had to go. It was not the easiest museum to navigate so I would consider using a guide to maximize my time if I have the chance to go again.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

Modern art is not my strong suit - but I enjoyed this museum nonetheless. Of course, you must see Picasso's Guernica, one of the most significant paintings in recent history. The museum has policy of no photos in that gallery - while this doesn't mitigate the crowds, it at least makes it easier to see the painting without a bunch of phones and cameras in the way. Also consider exploring the other galleries as well - you may see something you like.

The entrance of the museum was the only confusing part - there was a long queue, but it appeared to be for purchasing tickets. That said, it wasn't clear if there was another entrance or line for those who had purchased tickets in advance. A sympathetic staff member let us go in and go through security without waiting in the main line, but it'd be nice if the museum could formalize a procedure for this.