“Very nice hotel--great location”
Review of Hotel Villa Real

Hotel Villa Real
Ranked #33 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
“Very nice hotel--great location”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We chose the Villa Real because my husband and I were traveling to Spain with our 20 year old daughter and they seemed to have a good configuration of rooms for the three of us. It turned out really well for us and we liked the hotel (and staff) very much. It may not work for everyone though--I will explain.

The room was a downstairs living area with a full bathroom. The sofa downstairs pulls out into a bed (where our daughter slept) but when the sofa is pulled out, there is very little other space to sit down in. There is a spiral staircase to an upstairs bedroom/bathroom that is charming, but a little difficult to bring luggage up and down from. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was modern and large. Again, there was not a separate place to sit when the bed downstairs was unfolded and no where to sit but the bed in the upstairs bedroom (not really a problem for us because we were only in the room when we were ready to sleep anyway). The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and recommended a nice restaurant around the corner that we liked a lot (Rincon de Esteban). The location was fantastic--just across from the Westin Palace, overlooking the fountain of Neptune, very close to the Prado and walking distance from the Puerta del Sol and the Plaza Mayor. We walked everywhere. They also gave us a certificate for two glasses of champagne at the attached hotel restaurant and we went there--it's a lovely restaurant and we enjoyed that too. I agree with the comment of another reviewer that the Palacio Real is incredible and a "don't miss" to visit (we did the audiotour and it was excellent). We would stay at the Villa Real again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie3158
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I rated the Villa Real "average" mainly because the double room that we had was very odd. My wife and I went to Madrid with our two boys, age 9 and 11. We picked the Villa Real surfing the internet (Google, of course). Althought not cheap, they had a good proposition for a family of 4: a double room with two bath rooms. The thing is, the main room was upstairs and the staircase was definitively not for children or the elderly. It was very narrow and steep. The lower room had a convertible sofa, which made the room messy when unfolded. Believe me, the room was a war zone during the morning. Not the best set up at all. Other than that, it was fine.

Room Tip: not a family hotel
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Villa Real, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Villa Real. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Villa Real hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Antonio Martin
San Diego
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our first time in Spain, and our first city was Madrid. This hotel is located about 3 blocks from the famous Prado Museum, and directly across the street from what is the equvallent of the Spanish Congress. As a result, there were police in the area, making this an especially safe place. However, we walked the streets and squares within a mile, and nowhere did we ever feel unsafe, police or not. We were never panhalndled, and despite what I read, I saw no sign of pickpockets anywhere we walked. That being said, I do take precautions.

Madrid is one of the cleanest cities I have ever seen, and within a few blocks of the hotel there are many large plazas featuring wonderful restaurants and shops, including food stores. tapas are the norm, and you share these dishes at the table. Be prepared to fork out money for water, as "free water" does not exist. You have to pay for bottled water, even though the water in Madrid is perfectly safe to drink. Another thing to watch is "pan" or bread. If they bring you bread, it's not free, and you can pay up to 3 euros per piece! Feel free to say no thanks if they bring you something you did not order!

Be sure to spend a day at the Prado Museum of Art, and the next door botanical gardens. THere is a hop on/hop off bus stop just 3 blocks from this hotel. BE SURE to see the Royal Palace, which is along the bus route.

The hotel restaurant and bar is so so, but I must say EVERYONE in Madrid, including the hotel staff, was nice and helpful and I got no sense of any animosity towards my Amercian family. Of course, I speak some spanish, and it always helps to try to honor your hosts with a polite effort.

We had a wonderful room which was 2 levels on the top floor, with a fairly large balcony with table, chairs and umbrella, and a great view of the city. The lower section of the room is a sitting room with couch and there are inside spiral stairs to the bedorom which is a bit small for the King size bed (again, not usually found in Europe). The bathroom was nice and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Like many hotels in Europe, the elevator is very tiny and lurched a bit, and one time stopped between floors for a few harrowing minutes, so we often just decided to take the stairs!

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Upper floors have a nice view of the city facing the Prado
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travelNReviewer
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel Villa Real - Madrid

Situated in a great location where it's walking distance to trendy cafe's, bars, restaurants, shops and a few historical sites. Taxis are easy to find. The metro and Airport are close by.
I was impressed by the Hotel's family room providing space and comfort, with two wash rooms, two floors and a terrace. The rooms were clean and fully equipped with hotel luxuries.
Staff were very helpful in advising us places to eat, visit and shop. A staff member also recommended us a two day pass that enabled us to visit a few clubs over the weekend at a reasonable price, which was convenient for a group hen party. .
It’s a nice place to get away with friends or family. The only down-side would be that breakfast prices at the hotel are expensive, it would have been nice if there were more health club facilities or treatments too, and unfortunately our group also had to deal with some complaints of noise. Apart from that an overall nice place to stay

Many Thanks,
Vee

Room Tip: Make sure you get one with a good view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vee K
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your opinions
About the services of our hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us
Improve our services continually.

I thank you once more for your collaboration. I stay at your disposal.

I would like to have the opportunity to meet you in a future visit. I will
Personally make sure it is pleasant for you.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I ran a training workshop here for 2 days. Although rated as 5 star, a 4 star designation was more realistic. My room was big and on two levels with a very comfortable bed. The location is superb, right in the middle of the city and opposite the Westin and Congress of Deputies. The staff were excellent and everything worked very well. The gym is a very limited fitness room.
Would definely return and it was very good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for expressing your opinions
About the services of our hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us
Improve our services continually.

I thank you once more for your collaboration. I stay at your disposal.

I would like to have the opportunity to meet you in a future visit. I will
Personally make sure it is pleasant for you.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

First, I will have to say that the hotel was in a very good location and it was near all the good tapas and resturants. But the one thing I hated was that there was any wi-fi and you have to pay 10 $ to get a little bit of better connetion and if you want to download apps on you elctronic it will take around 30 to 40 mins to load. Me and my brother could't find any channls in english to watch on tv. but it had a ok view and we loved the the room had an upstaris but it was a little hard to climb up the steeps because they were very steep and weird shaped. Also I liked that when i got in bed i fell asleep in a matter of time. The people who worked there were very very nive and supportful to us.

Room Tip: say what type of chocolate you leave on the pillows
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

In the first instance, I want to thank you for expressing us your observations about the services of our Hotel during your stay.

The opinion of our clients is extremely important to us, as it makes us to improve our services continually. I can assure you that we will endeavour to improve matters as quickly as we can.

I would like to inform you that the hotel has cable connection free in all rooms.

We have also a hospitality desk available free of charge for our customers during 24 hours.

Also you have wifi connection free during 90 minutes per day.

I sincerely hope that your next stay at the our hotel will be extremely pleasant, I will personally take care to ensure it.

I remain at your entire disposal.

Antonio Martin
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is well located. walking distance to all attractions. Starbucks is one block away for a morning coffee/croissants.Plenty of restaurants and tapas bars around the hotel.Did not try the hotel's restaurant, therefore, can't comment on it. The neighborhood is not too noisy like it is the case for other similarly rated hotels in the city. The closest subway station is 10 minutes walking (half of it is uphill). for those who prefer cabs there is always cabs waiting outside.
Having 2 boys we had to stay in one of the duplex suites (fifth floor). The place was spacious. The boys slept downstairs on a sofa bed. Had their own bathroom and shower. The master bedroom was one level higher. the stairs winded up a bit too steeply and one needed to be careful at night. As opposed to US hotels, the room had plenty of pillows and we did not need to ask for any extra. The bed and sofa bed were very comfortable and were not worn out. We could easily hear the sneezing and loud talk of the people next door but this was not much of a problem. there was no disturbance as described by other reviewers.
another tip is to make sure to charge all your electric equipments (phones, laptops, razors) at night. when you leave the room the power cuts off and you won't be able to charge any plugged items. You should place the room key in a special slot at the entrance in order to get the power back in the room.
The biggest problem was the wifi indeed.
The following is the Villa Real Hotel wifi survival guide:
If you end up on the fifth floor, the best place to catch the network is by sitting on the stairs as close as possible to the door. Don't expect to get a signal in the upper level (bedroom). even when you finally get a signal, the internet is extremely slow ( a problem we encountered everywhere in Spain). make sure to download all your apps, ebooks and magazines before you leave the US).
You have to stop at the reception area every morning and ask for the new username and password. If you pay 10 euros per day the download will be a bit faster.The other problem is that you can only use one computer/smartphone at a time. you have to log out by typing: logout.aptilo.com on the address bar of your browser (no http) so that someone else in your party can log in (using the same username and password). If you don't do that your life would be miserable. don't count on using the internet at Starbucks as it is always plagued by the same slow conection (when it works).
In Summary, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel highly because of its location and very pleasant staff.

2 Thank DoctorK313