“Good central spot”

Ranked #35 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
London, United Kingdom
“Good central spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here in May for three days, chosing through SLH's and for its central location.
Hotel was clean, the room fairly roomy with a separate sitting area and a julliet balcony that opened onto the square in front of the hotel.
Very close to the major museums including the Prado and only a five minute walk from the central squares, for bars and restaurants.

Breakfast was good with an extensive selection of cold fruit, meats and pastries.

Only strange thing was the wifi. We were given a login code but not told that it was for one hour per day and once you had logged in the time was running. Not quite what we had expected from a luxury hotel.

There was only one desktop PC available in reception for when the day's wifi ran out.

Staff were pleasant and generally helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, November 10, 2012

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Exmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Centrally located a short walk from the key sites in Madrid

Used this place as it was close to the conference I was attending.

Room was clean and tidy with a comfortable nights sleep. Very overpriced in my opinion but I guess that's what you get from the city centre.

I'd look for something a little more chic next time I'm in Madrid. There's better available for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Hello_Mr_Dave
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, November 10, 2012

Madison, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Our recent stay in Madrid was enhanced by this beautiful hotel. The staff could not have been more accommodating and friendly. Our room was huge with two levels. A bed and bath were on the top level with a large terrace. The downstairs had another full bath with large sitting room. The only negative was the marble stairway in the room - quite steep -- so be careful.

The breakfast buffet was a beautiful presentation of something for everyone.

Wish our schedule would have allowed for more than one night.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

world
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I booked Villa Real knowing it is a member of SLH, but unfortunately the hotel misses the mark:
1) Suite 501 has a molded smell, pretty strong smell, all housekeeping could do is spray some airfreshner but we know that doesn't work. The management should look into that matter. The furniture is old/squeeky.
2) TV was not very clear, looks like running on antennae in the bedroom. In the living room of the suite, the system to change channels is so slow.
3) We ordered two sandwiches (mixto and chicken) on October 14 for dinner, 2 sandwiches took 45 minutes and without any apology. On top of it, the sandwiches were cold and reminds one of a gas station and not a 5*. I felt foolish for spending 30 euros on 2 sandwiches, with plenty of restaurants nearby.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nezWorld
DireccionDerbyHotels, Subdirector at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Villa Real, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Villa Real. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Villa Real hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Antonio Martin
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The reception staff were lovely, friendly and helpful and check in was easy. The room itself overlooked the piazza and was bright and airy. You could open the window or use the aircon - I prefer fresh air so that was a nice option.

There was a complimentary glass of champagne in the bar below, which was very welcome. Rather expensive to have a second glass though! The bar staff were friendly, which, as a solo traveller, I really appreciated.

The rooms were clean and lovely, slippers, robe, fluffy towels - nice.

My only (slight) complaint was that the pool was actually a share with a neighbouring hotel and is quite tiny. But they were friendly enough over there and it was lovely to sink into the chilled water after a hot Spanish day shopping and touristing.

Location is good - I would stay there again. Even if it's a tad pricey.. ;)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Antonio Martin
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We loved the Hotel Villa Real in Madrid. It is in a wonderful location...in a quiet square... but close to all the action. Santa Ana square was a five minute walk and full of wonderful tapas bars and restaurants which are frequented by the locals.
Easy walk to Prado and Reina Sofia museums.
Staff was friendly and very helpful.
Rooms were large and comfortable.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn47_12
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Felix Garcia Hernan
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

PROS: Good location; great breakfast.
CONS: the bed was very shaky (weak frame), TV set did not work.

The hotel is located right next to the Congress and there were several police vans with armed policemen all the time.

Overall, the hotel proved to be a very good deal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple