“Nice hotel in great location.”
Review of Hotel Villa Real

Hotel Villa Real
Ranked #38 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My 3 day stay at the Villa Real was overall pleasant. We were given 2 complimentary glasses of champagne at the hotel bar, and were most pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary bottle of wine in the room. The rooms are clean, with plenty of closet space. There was a small living room area to entertain. The beds are a bit firm, may be considered hard for those who like soft mattresses. The bathrooms had double vanities, plenty of light, and a blowdryer. My one complaint is the shower door. The glass door only covers half the shower, and is not sealed at the bottom. This leads to quite a bit of water spilling onto the floor. I put a towel under the shower door, and that helped a little. The hotel offers 90-minutes free wi-fi each day, or 24 hours for 11-Euro. There is also an outdoor seating area to enjoy some food and drinks. The Villa Real is centrally located. Near the museums, restaurants/bars, train station, and a hop-on hop-off bus stop. I would consider staying here again, mostly because of the location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in Madrid, and I believe we got a special rate for that reason, but I was really blown away by the value. The hotel is well-appointed, the rooms spacious, and the location perfect for all the best sights in Madrid. That said, I would just advise that I would not consider this a 5-star hotel, as it is rated, but more like a 4-star. The accommodations are clean and modern, but not luxurious. The bathroom, for instance, has a typical tiny European bath/shower that leaks all over (it has one of those little half-doors that doesn't really block the water from escaping), and the minibar was not restocked during our stay, so when we came home thirsty we had to wait for room service to deliver water rather than just grabbing it from the minibar. I don't think there was any spa or gym (unless I missed them). Small annoyances, though, for a superb deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kate0614
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Reviewed August 27, 2012

first off, i'd like to say that Madrid is an enjoyable place to spend a week end. huge city, lots of things to do, see and taste and a good vibe.

the hotel is centrally located (minutes away on foot to the gran via, the parque del retiro). it is located in an old palace.

check-in was swift and the front desk was able to provide good tips on places to have dinner.

we had a standard superior room facing plaza de los cortes. the room was big enough for us two and our luggage. the bathroom was nice (lots of marble). we had a sofa in the room and a little terrace. we also were offered a bottle of red wine upon arrival and also had a voucher for two glasses of champagne in their sister hotel Urban!!
the bed was very comfortable and we had a nice sleep.

i agree with the previous comments on the noise issue: it is true that you can hear what happens in the adjacent rooms, which could be a bit troubling, and also you can hear the difference when opening the window: lots of surrounding noise outside. anyway it was warm in Madrid, so windows closed and AC on. another issue: the WiFi politics (60 minutes free per 24h)

anyway, i would return to this hotel and recommend it. i believe it is more of a good 4 stars (if you compare to other 5 star hotels of the SLH brand). the room prices are very attractive.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dlerital
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Overall Impression: Based upon our entire experience over our 4 day stay at the property, my wife and I would recommend staying at the Hotel Villa Real Madrid and we would stay here again the next time we visit Madrid. Having said that, if you are looking to stay in a true 5 star hotel then you most likely would look into the Westin Palace Madrid (located virtually across the street from the Hotel Villa Real Madrid). Our advice to travelers would be to stay at the Hotel Villa Real but try and reserve a Family Room that faces towards Fuente de Neptuno (if such a room exists). This would give you two levels, two baths, and a Terrace with spectacular views! Regardless of where you choose to stay, Madrid is a fantastic city that is well worth visiting. Please continuing reading for more details on our stay.

The Hotel: We tend to stay in 4 & 5 star hotels that are historic, traditionally decorated (late 19th or early 20th century), and are located in the City Center/urban core. The Hotel Villa Real comes very close to matching these requirements. The hotel is ideally located within the city center and it is within walking distance of everything (sites, cafes, restaurants, metro, etc).

The Room: We reserved a Junior Suite with a balcony facing Calle del Prado (towards Fuente de Neptuno). When we checked in we were given a Family Room that included a large outdoor terrace but it faced the court yard. We were not sure if the Family Room was an upgrade or a downgrade from the Junior Suite, but we gracefully accepted the room assignment (Room 523). The room was located on the top floor of the hotel and it consisted of two levels. The living room was on the first level and the bedroom was on the second. Each level had a full bathroom with a shower. The room was clean, the bathrooms were up to date, and overall we felt very comfortable in the room. We stayed here in May, so it was very nice to be able to sit outdoors on the Terrace at any time - day or evening. Some notes about our experience: we could hear our neighbors in the room next door and we could also hear people walking in the hallway (Room 523 is at the end of the hotel so there are only neighbors on one side of the room). We lost power several times during our stay (which affected our in-room safe) and it took some time for the staff to open the safe and free our passports. Our room didn't have an iron/ironing board – so we had to go to the front desk to request one. Internet access is not free for the entire stay – just 60 minutes a day (in succession, not 60 minutes over a 24 hour period). The shower didn't have a shelf so we had to put our soap & shampoo on the shower floor. The shower doors do not seal tightly and as a result the bathroom floor floods during shower time (not big deal – just request extra towels!). It would be nice if the bed was a single queen sized mattress not a combination of two smaller mattresses. The local football team won a championship while we were staying at Hotel Villa Real so both the celebration riot (that took place the evening of the victory) and the official celebration (that took place the following day) were centered around the hotel (no big deal for us as it was fun, but I think that a lot of civic events are centered around Fuente de Neptuno).

The Staff: In a word – Fantastic! Everyone on the staff seemed pleasant and helpful. This was especially true for the front desk staff (we peppered them with questions all day, every day and they cheerfully answered all of them for us).

Arriving: We arrived in Madrid via Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD) from London. Finding baggage claim in Terminal 4 was easy (the same holds true for Immigration & Customs). Terminal 4 is huge so it took us about 25 minutes to go from the gate to the Baggage Claim area (Immigration & Customs were a breeze). From the terminal, we decided to take the Metro to the hotel. Once we claimed our bags, we followed the signs in the terminal to the Metro. We purchased our Metro tickets using the machines just outside the Metro entrance (we paid 4.5 Euros each person - the normal 1.5 Euro ticket price plus a 3.0 Euro airport supplement). The trip from the airport to the hotel is straight forward and took about 45 minutes. In the lower level of Terminal 4, we boarded the Number 8 (pink line) train towards Nuevos Ministerious. We took the Number 8 train six stops to the Colombia station. At the Colombia station, we transferred to the Number 9 (purple line) train towards Arganda Del Ray. We took the Number 9 train five stops to the Principe De Vergara station. At the Principe De Vergara station, we transferred to the Number 2 (red line) train towards Cuatro Caminos. Three stops later, we exited the Number 2 train at the Seville station. The Seville station is a short 10 minute walk from the Hotel Villa Real Madrid.

Departing: We were flying from Madrid to New York so we took a taxi from the Hotel to the Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). The taxi charged us more than the Hotel told us we would be charged (35 Euros with tip) so we are not sure the true cost of a taxi ride. If you have the time and do not travel with too many bags, we would suggest that you take the Metro to the airport (just reverse the directions listed above).

Tips: There are too many things to do in Madrid for us to list them all. There are restaurants and cafes all around the hotel, but make sure that you check out the restaurants/cafes in Plaza de Santa Ana (about 5 minutes walk from the hotel). If you need supplies for the room (snacks, water, soft drinks, beer, wine, etc) there are shops across from Fuente de Neptuno (the fountain of Neptune). The main hangout in the city is at Puerta del Sol (10 minutes walk from the hotel), Finally – take a day trip to Lisbon, Portugal. We found a cheap round trip flight that departed Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD) early in the morning and returned late at night – just enough time to introduce ourselves to Lisbon. Enjoy your stay in Madrid!

Room Tip: Reserve a 'Family Room' that faces towards Fuente de Neptuno (if such a room exists). This...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert N
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

This is a good hotel.. My overall experience was good, Although I could smell smoke from another room.... But I loved the location of this hotel!!!! Service was really good, the front desk helped me pick out many places to visit & where to eat! Good breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank ShaylaTurnbow

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a good comment about the service and in general about the hotel.

All the staff is happy to read we are doing a good job and we have made you feel comfortable in your stay at hotel .

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Felix Garcia Hernan

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hotel Villa Real has excellent location; close to museums, short walk to Retiro park and old town, walking distance to Salamanca top-end shopping.

Breakfast was very nice. Our room was clean and tidy. The room decor is a bit oldies but was ok. Our room was facing the square in front of the hotel. The view was lovely but we got a good share of traffic noice.

And... We could hear a LOT of noice from neighboring rooms and corridor. One can easily hear what people in next room are talking about; walls must be very thin... So do pack your earplugs if you choose this hotel. And, if your sleep interrupts easily by noice, might be good idea to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kirklandgirl02

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Villa Real, thank you for taking the time to complete the recent Trip Advisor Review. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and we appreciated receiving your feedback.

First of all,. I have shared your comments with the entire team at the Hotel Villa Real. We have immediately implemented procedures to ensure to improve all the points you mentioned. We are actively pursuing corrective measures so that you will have a better experience, should you give us the chance to earn your future business. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we use the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

I would also appreciate an opportunity to discuss your stay in additional detail. Please call me directly at your earliest convenience and I look forward to speaking to you so this matter can be settled to your satisfaction. I can also be reached via email as well if that is more convenient.

At Hotel Villa Real hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

At your Service,

Felix garcia

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I travelled to to Madrid with my wife as part of my honeymoon, we were really pleased with our room (superior double). The view from our balcony was nice, looking over the square outside the hotel. There was also a free bottle of wine in the room which was a nice surprise.

The location of the hotel is also ideal as it is only a short walk in either direction to get to shops, bars, places to eat and the stop for the tourist bus.

We didn't try the hotels restaurant, although did get room service on our first night (we arrived at 11.30pm) and although the food was nice, felt it was really over priced.

We also went to the Villa Real's sister hotel "hotel urban" which has quirky decor and a nice roof terrace and serves great cocktails, although again these are very expensive.

I would stay here again as a couple, however I do not think this hotel would be good for children.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view ask for a rom at the front over looking the Plaza.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director General at Hotel Villa Real, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,