“If you like to be ignored...”

Taberna de la Daniela Goya
Ranked #1,764 of 12,037 Restaurants in Madrid
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio de Salamanca
Description: "With its traditional zinc-top bar and wall tiles, this much-loved Castizo taberna is among the very best Madrileño eating spots for enjoying cocido. The chef even includes a junior version (cocido pequeño) on his menú infantil. The great seafood specialties here are bacalao pil pil (Basque cod in a spicy green sauce) and besugo la madrileño besugo (or sea bream), being the most highly esteemed fish in the capital due to its exquisite flavor. Other homemade dishes include sopa de fideos (noodle soup) and huesos de tuétano (marrow bone). The dining area, set back beside pillars from the tapas bar, is quiet and relaxing, and the service is friendly." -Zagat
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you like to be ignored by the waiters and bartender this is the place for you. We were there with no attention for 15 minutes. We left.

1  Thank Jongler1

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I went to visit a friend in Madrid this January, and we went to "Taberna de la Daniela", near "Congreso de los diputados", to try a real cocido, which is a typical food from central Spain.

We phoned to book a table, but we made the mistake of booking in a different restaurant of the same chain. When we arrived there we didn't appear in the list, but as we were there very early they gave a table to us with no problem, which is much appreciated.

Then we ordered a cocido, some water and a bottle of wine. I asked the waitress to recommend a bottle of wine, and she didn't have a clue (she didn't even know what grapes did each wine have). There were some wines in the menu that I had tried before, and were fine, but I wanted to try something different, so I ordered a "Monte Castrillo" "Ribera del Duero" wine that I had never tried before; the waitress said it was a good wine. It was the worst decision I could make, I think that wine was just good enough to use for cooking, but not to be served with a nice cocido: no body at all, it tasted like alcohol.. I don't know if it was that the vintage year was very bad or the wine is always that bad, but they should not have it in the menu in a place that serves such a nice cocido and is so expensive.

First of all they brought the broth, which is the result of boiling meat, ham bones and vegetables, it was very tasty, and the portion was very big. When we had a couple of serves each, there was still enough soup for one more serve each, and at that point the waitress came and asked "do you want more soup, guys?" We answered "No, I think we are fine", and then she wanted to take away what was left. I imagined she was asking "do you want me to bring more soup or is it fine with what you have now?" because I could not think that in a nice and expensive restaurant they will try to get rid of you that fast. I had one more serve myself before the waitress took the rest away.

Then she brought the meat and chickpeas. It was very good too, specially the ham. As we were full, we skipped the desserts and ordered an espresso, which was ok.

Then we asked for the bill: it was quite expensive, I would say that it was overpriced, but it's understandable because it's a nice cocido in the centre of Madrid and the place is quite known. But for that price, I would have expected a nicer wine, and a more relaxed waiting service, to make an enjoyable experience that would have been worth the money. Also, the restaurant got very busy during the lunch, and it was quite noisy, this is not their fault but it may be something you want to consider too.
I would consider eating there again, but I would certainly not order the same wine, and maybe I would go to the second shift expecting a more relaxed meal.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were recommended this tabierna by local people to try the real "cocido madrileno". It is a chain of restaurants, all serving the same traditional cuisine, I believe. The place was loud, with blinding neon lights and very basic cubiertos. The cocido was lavish, very tasty but also expensive, good for once, but it was far more than we could manage. What a waste.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We ate at the Plaza de Jesus restaurant - and in short, we wished we hadn't. The neptune restaurant nearby would have been a far better choice. The traditional menu offering cocido was, we admit, what we wanted to try. And in all fairness many lcoals also were eating it. But the experience was not worth the 25euros each we had to pay excluding drink and service. The food was over-rated and left us feeling disappointed and hard done by. Having now eaten in many other establishments in madrid in our 5 day stay we still feel the same. Aboid this and try other places which go for quality and service (El beirzo or Cafe Olmo) for example (see other reviews)

2  Thank DHWild
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went to Taberna de la Daniela to try Cocido ... and enjoyed the experience.

The restaurant is a local restaurant and was very busy, even on a monday night in February - the fact that he locals are there in abundance is always a very good indicator of what the restaurant delivers. We would suggest it is a good idea to make a reservation.

The Cocido is a substantial meal - it started with chicken noodle broth and then a huge plate of vegetables (cabbage, carrots, potatoes, chickpeas) and another huge plate of meat (braised beef, ham hock, chorizo, blood sausage and a marrow bone). This was accompanies by a romanesco sauce as well as pickled peppers and onions. The food was really tasty ... real 'comfort food' ... the only complaint was the quantity: there was no chance of eating everything which was put in front of us!

It was a good experience and was excellent value ...

1  Thank Breakingoutnow