“Bad experience”

Ranked #198 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Falls Church, Virginia
“Bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

The property is fine once you get there; but, that is a challenge. You have to telephone for the hotel shuttle van. If you don't have the telephone number and a phone that works in Spain-you are out of luck.

For an airport hotel, you would think that printing boarding passes for customers would be a simple matter. Wrong! You have to email the boarding pass to the reception desk before they can print a pass for you. Since the hotel doesn't have a business center, you are out of luck unless you have your laptop with you.

No business center; no WIFI in the rooms. This does not qualify as either a business or an airport hotel.

When we arrived, our room was 14 degrees Celsius (about 57 degrees Fahrenheit).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CPMManagement, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would primarily like to thank you for choosing to stay at CP Madrid Airport .

We are really sorry for all inconveniences. From information´s desk you can call us and it´s free of charge.

Wifi is available in all rooms and areas from 1st of May and Business Corner from next 13th of August.

Best Regards
Ana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

A hotel experience requires some fundaments: safety, cleanliness, good service, comfortable sleeping environment and a good shower. This property offers a nice room and some decent staff folks and that's about it.

First, despite emailing and corresponding with this property three times on my desire to reserve a pick up by the airport shuttle, I still had to wait one hour and forty minutes. This time included being hustled by a cab for 55 EURO (my friends paid 75 EURO), having to make a phone call to the property and watching other airport shuttles pass by multiple times AND wait for guest.

Next, this property is in the middle of a failed development, probably as a result of the world economy. There is ZERO around except for the Holiday Inn Express across the street. The area is dirty, and since it sit off a highway, it seems even the air quality around here is suspect.

Moving on, let's discuss the lack of hot water, which is virtually none. The staff seems nice but since they are so short staffed here, it comes through in the service.

All of this leads me to believe one thing: this hotel is barely surviving and are cutting all kinds of corners.

I am simply not happy with this property for a multitude of reasons. I find the complete disregard of arriving passengers reckless. Moreover, guests are taking taxis and getting ripped off while the hotel turns a blind eye.

Heed my advice, do not stay here.

Room Tip: There are few king beds, all of which require paying a higher rate, otherwise they are all the same.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Scot D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear Libertyproject,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport, Spain. It is regrettable that you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ben J
IHG Care
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Arrived late at night to Madrid airport. No shuttle bus waiting with those from other hotels. No signage about this hotel. No cell phone service. Taxi driver had never heard of the hotel. We drove around for 20 minutes, finally called the hotel and reception directed the driver. 30 Euros later (cause there was no shuttle) we were there. Nice hotel, nice room, brand new, but in the middle of nowhere. Get directions before heading there. Nice shuttle bus took us to the airport the next morning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

We would primarily like to thank you for choosing to stay at CP Madrid Airport.

Sorry for all inconveniences caused. In all terminals at airport you will find an Official Stick with all telephone’s hotels.

Our address is Lola Flores 1, 28022 Madrid ( Avendia de Aragón 402), taxi drivers know our location. From T1, T2, T3 3 KMs, from T4 7KMs. You would be here in 10/15 minutes aprox. However We recomend you show the taxi driver our location.

We have available our shuttle service, it is complimentary & on request. Please, book it in advance.

Best Regards
Ana
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

This new hotel got a five-star rating from me because it doesn't rip-off its guests with charges for wi-fi - even in the rooms. All business travelers know that charging for the internet is a downright scandal as it costs hotels nothing.
Most hotels in the InterContinental chain - including Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas - charge, but this one does not. And its staff are super-friendly, so it gets a top thumbs up from me.
It is very, very new, right opposite a Holiday Inn Express I have used in the past and at the end of the Madrid Airport runway, but there is barely a whisper in the rooms because the glazing is so good. All of the decor and fittings are top-quality, the rooms super-equipped right down to fluffy towels (instead of threadbare ones). The restaurant menu is limited but good food and the staff are fantastically friendly.
They have a shuttle to the airport and even one to the local railway station for a train into the city. This is not a romantic hotel and there is nothing around it of interest, but for the business traveler and the long-distance driver, it is ideal. There is a secure underground car park.
The only fault I could find is that there is zero info in the rooms. Nothing to explain where anything is or how to connect, what the TV channels are, restaurant and bar opening times, nothing! But they did have one of those fancy capsule coffee machines in the room - with instructions in Spanish.....
But I will forgive anything for the free internet and the excellent staff.

Room Tip: Use the Priority Club website - guaranteed the lowest rates.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Snookoafc1
CPMManagement, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012

We would primarily like to thank you for choosing to stay at CP Madrid Airport.

We note with pleasure that your experience at CP Madrid Airport was a great one and that you found the rooms to be spacious and clean and comfortable.

Yes, off course Wifi is free. Minibar anc coffee machine are complimentary too.

Blacksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

Had a terrible experience here. Can happen anywhere, but something tells me it will take awhile for this hotel to become a good option near MAD.

The hotel is far from the airport (unfortunately, it seems to be a general problem with MAD). I contacted the hotel about the shuttle and was scheduled to be picked up at 10 pm. The flight was a bit delayed so I wasn't outside until 10:20 pm or so. I called the hotel and was told to wait for the shuttle. I was not told to wait at a particular spot, so I was waiting at the curb by the bus stops near the arrivals (this area, as the entire airport, is huge). After 50 minute wait I finally saw the shuttle for CP fly by at 50 kph and not even notice me waving my arm like crazy. There may be a special pick up area, but again I had to idea where that was, and wasn't told.

Anyway, cab driver had no clue where that is, but eventually (25 euro later) found it. It's almost 11:45 by then and I have to get up for the 4:30 am shuttle. No recognition of my Platinum status, no upgrade of any kind, not particularly friendly staff, but fine. Have dealt with worse. The room was perfectly clean and comfortable. I decided to check email, to find that I need a wifi code from the front desk. Pick up the phone and ... nothing! The phone is not even on. My foot is sprained, so I am not about to hobble downstairs for it. The shuttle in the morning was on time and took me to the airport.

This is the last time I'll use this place again. But I hope others have had better experiences here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nomad462
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Madrid Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear Nomad462,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

CJ
Case Manager
IHG Care
Jerusalem, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

We booked a one night stay at the Crown Plaza, Madrid Airport before setting off on our weeks stay in Spain (to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary). After collecting the rental car and armed with directions from the hotel web site and a GPS we thought, "How hard can this be?" despite the driving rain. Also the maps showed that the hotel was at the end of the runway. We can always find the runway. We searched for an hour without any luck. Finally, we flagged down a police patrol and in broken English and Spanish he told us to follow him to the hotel. We must have passed the hotel 3 times but its access is off a service road and the Crown Plaza sign was simply not noticeable from the highway especially in the rain. When we arrived it was late and we were hungry but the restaurant was closed. Room service was able to send 2 soups and one main dish (all they had left???) . I know that room service costs more but that cost us 40 euro. Finally, there was no information in the room at all. We had no idea until what time room service was available or any information about the hotel's services. There was a fancy espresso machine in the room without instructions and I never did figure out how to turn it on. Since we were there for only a few hours, I did not call the desk. We came to have a bite after the flight, sleep and get on our way. Sorry to say but only stay here if you arrive at a "normal" hour and you take the shuttle. I am not at all sure that we would find it wven in the daylight.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian049

We would primarily like to thank you for choosing to stay at CP Madrid Airport.

We are really sorry for all inconveniences caused. All info is available in room now.

hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Spacious room, everything brand new. Airport shuttle not frequent, but can make bookings at the reception to ensure timely pick up/ drop off. No wifi in rooms so ask for a cable at the reception. All rooms facing away from streets with excellent sound proofing, hence it is quiet to give you a good night's sleep

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank happyHongKong

We would primarily like to thank you for choosing to stay at CP Madrid Airport.

Free Wifi is available in all rooms from 1st May.