“Very good basic hotel”

Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid
Ranked #241 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure for 4 nights in September, in one of the panoramic view rooms. Unfortunately it was on the first floor, so views weren't particular amazing but that was the only downside.

The room itself was spacious, with excellent luxury beds, roomy bathroom (although the styling left us wondering if it had actually been finished). The hotel roof is smaller than the pictures make out, but was never busy when we used it.

This is a great hotel for anyone needing a good quality base from which to explore Madrid.

Room Tip: If you want the panoramic view amke sure you request it beyond the first floor!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a couple of days, great central location near to "Callao" but the disappointment came when I asked the receptionist for a single bed, he told me that the hotel was fully booked and that could not be possible, he wasn't really friendly, and after going to the room with 2 little beds, I decided to have a shower, while I was showering I did realised the drainage starting to clogg up and in a few minutes the toilet and part of the room got flooded. I spoke to the guy at the reception and told him about the issue, he said he was sending the engineer to the room. I asked the reception for clean towels as I had to use all the towels to dry the floor but they never arrived. The room was apparently fixed but the drain was starting to clogg again I could see dirty water coming up from the drain itself. At night the air con did not work properly, I was cold all night, the other bed did not have a duvet cover, and the annoying little light next to the bathroom could not be switched off. On the positive sign, the guy who checked me out was very friendly (manager or supervisor) a guy with the beard, so different to the guy at check in, he made me feel not to complain. Hope if I ever get back I will get a nicer room and more friendly staff.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Chriss999uk
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is ideal, first and foremost, for location. Great spot and you can walk everywhere. Beyond that it is a reliable, clean bedroom.
The most redeeming feature of this hotel is the rooftop pool area. Nice view and casual, low-key vibe. I took my own bottle of veuve up and watched the sunset without any hassle. I didn't actually swim in the pool but it was popular with the other guests... looked clean etc.
However, I do hate it when a hotel advertises free wifi and doesn't deliver. That annoys me a great deal and Mercure Madrid Santo Domingo was guilty of this.
If they fix their internet, I'll return. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have been in Madrid only for a couple of days but I took care of my hotel reservation long in advance through booking.com and was greatly disapointed about Santo Domingo Hotel as the room that I was given was not even close to the images posted on the web-site. The room was tiny with old cheap furniture and filthy old carpet. Definately to this particular room I wouldn't have given even 2 stars, forget about 4 stars that I actually expected. I am sure that somewhere in this hotel there are those wonderful stylish rooms that they advertise, but apparently I had to pay extra to get one of those. In addition to that it was November and the room was pretty cold and even with heating system working on maximum it took quite a while to warm this place up and only starting from second night the temperature was comfortable.
As for the price... for the room I expected the price I paid would have been a good deal, but for the room that I've got it was way too expensive.
The only positive side was the location that was great indeed.
I personaly would never come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family